Pug Authority Forum
Welcome to the Pug Authority forum!

This is a fun, supportive community of pug owners who are dedicated to sharing our experiences regarding responsible pug ownership and learning from others.

You are currently viewing the forum as guest which does not give you the same access as members. Please click the Register button below to join our community! If you are already a member, please log-in!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Pug Authority Forum
Welcome to the Pug Authority forum!

This is a fun, supportive community of pug owners who are dedicated to sharing our experiences regarding responsible pug ownership and learning from others.

You are currently viewing the forum as guest which does not give you the same access as members. Please click the Register button below to join our community! If you are already a member, please log-in!
Pug Authority Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Doesn't like new food

+8
Winston's Mom
juneau hunter
Miss Pugg
Pugsaunt
dieselsmom
sallyandtilly
Not Afraid
Amanda
12 posters

Go down

Doesn't like new food Empty Doesn't like new food

Post  Amanda 9/24/2009, 4:32 pm

I just switched the girls' food. Lucy has just been picking through it for the past couple days and not really eating much. I worried at first that maybe she didn't feel well. Tonight, I added some warm water and some shredded cheese to interest her but she still wouldn't eat it. I had a small bag of Iams in the cabinet that I'd picked up one day when I ran out of food. I just gave her some with a little warm water and she ate it right up.

I've never had issues with either of them being picky. Is it likely she'll never take to it or should I keep putting it down every night until she gets hungry enough to eat it? Of course I just bought a 15 lb. bag of the food! hair pull
Amanda
Amanda

Number of posts : 6990

http://www.pugauthority.com

Back to top Go down

Doesn't like new food Empty Re: Doesn't like new food

Post  Not Afraid 9/24/2009, 6:12 pm

My first reactions is DUMP THE IAMS!!!

What are you feeding them now?
Not Afraid
Not Afraid

Number of posts : 5095

Back to top Go down

Post  Amanda 9/24/2009, 7:00 pm

Not Afraid wrote:My first reactions is DUMP THE IAMS!!!

What are you feeding them now?
I only used the Iams to see if she'd eat or if she wasn't feeling well. The Iams isn't the issue. They were on Orijen and I just switched to Taste of the Wild.
Amanda
Amanda

Back to top Go down

Post  Not Afraid 9/24/2009, 7:21 pm

Sorry, I'm becoming a food nazi! I'm around great food 24/7 and have learned so much about the bad foods that I'm experiencing a level of unprecedented disgust. I didn't mean to sound so harsh.

I'm not familiar with your new brand. I feed my cats Orijen and know it is a really good food - but it is expensive. I know we tell people at the store that, when they want to switch food, to take 7 days to do it. Mix in 1/4 new food to 4/3 old for 3 days, then switch to half and half for a few days, then 1/4 old to 3/4 new for 2 days and THEN serve only the new food. That gives both their taste buds as well as their digestive systems a chance to adjust.
Not Afraid
Not Afraid

Number of posts : 5095

Back to top Go down

Post  sallyandtilly 9/24/2009, 8:01 pm

Oh Tilly wouldn't eat Taste of the Wild either! and we all know Tilly will eat absolutely anything. She would put it in her mouth and spit it out. lol When you try a new food, ask for samples. Most places have them and it will save you lots of cash and headaches.
sallyandtilly
sallyandtilly

Number of posts : 3150

Back to top Go down

Post  Amanda 9/24/2009, 8:34 pm

sallyandtilly wrote:Oh Tilly wouldn't eat Taste of the Wild either! and we all know Tilly will eat absolutely anything. She would put it in her mouth and spit it out. lol When you try a new food, ask for samples. Most places have them and it will save you lots of cash and headaches.
That's funny that Tilly won't eat it either. Nell has no problem with it so at least it won't go to waste.
Amanda
Amanda

Back to top Go down

Post  dieselsmom 9/24/2009, 9:09 pm

My kids were on Taste of the Wild for quite some time and they all did really well on it - never had a problem with them not liking it. At least one of them will eat it so you won't waste all that food!!
dieselsmom
dieselsmom

Number of posts : 2235

http://www.cloudk9.webs.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Pugsaunt 9/24/2009, 10:13 pm

Penny's on Taste of the Wild fish (smoked salmon, please, for Ms. Thang), and loves it. Too bad Ms. Lucy is being picky.
Pugsaunt
Pugsaunt

Number of posts : 6877

Back to top Go down

Doesn't like new food Empty food

Post  Miss Pugg 9/24/2009, 10:25 pm

All 3 of mine were on Taste of the Wild and they seemed to like it and do well on it, for a while anyway. Jasmine then got loose stools and after allergy tests, I have Willow on Solid Gold Melennia and Jasmine and Buffy on Eagle Pak. It was sure easy to get Taste of the Wild as a local farm store carries it.
Miss Pugg
Miss Pugg

Number of posts : 659

Back to top Go down

Post  juneau hunter 10/7/2009, 1:39 pm

I went through this with Juneau too. When I first got him I had him on IAMS, only because I didn't know any better and because my cat eats IAMS. Then one day I went to blockbuster to get a movie and noticed a store beside it called "Global Pet Foods" (it has been there for years but i just noticed it *sigh*). Well it ended up being one of the smartest things I did because I got a crash course in pet food from this amazing young girl - she said "IAMS used to be good but proctor and gamble took over. Do you want your dog to eat food from someone that makes diapers?" Ummmm....no! So she showed me how to read lables and then she gave me a huge bag of about 12 samples! Juneau is now on Grasslands and most days he will eat it with no problem. Occassionally (and usually after one of the kids sneak in something that isn't good for him - a cheezie, a chip, a popcorn, a freaking lobster the other day) he will not eat for a day because he had a taste of the "junk" food. I don't worry about it anymore when he doesn't eat. He drinks a lot and when he realizes that mooching doesn't get him junk, he will wander over to his dish and eat what his mama gave him.
juneau hunter
juneau hunter

Number of posts : 2896

Back to top Go down

Post  Winston's Mom 10/7/2009, 5:43 pm

I had mine on Breeders Choice Lamb with all the Glucosomine and Condroitin and one day Grace decided she was not going to eat it any more.

So I switched them to grain free Venison & sweet potato. Oh my stars they trip over themselves at mealtime to get to that food.

I've also started adding some yogurt on it for them also. They are really happy babies now!

I even switched my cat to the cat version of that. I think it is Natures VAriety or something like that. All I know is that it isn't cheap!

I'm eating Bologna sandwiches and they eat the best! So what else is new
Winston's Mom
Winston's Mom

Number of posts : 244

Back to top Go down

Post  Amber 10/7/2009, 5:48 pm

Amanda - both of my big dogs were on Taste of the Wild salmon based and loved it for 2+ years until a few months ago and they both stopped eating it. We've switched to another Taste of the Wild - yellow bag vs blue from before. I can't remember what the protein base is in this new one, but I can check when I get home.

Dora has to eat a specific food due to her allergies, but we just switched Genie to Fromme Surf and Turf and she is in love! We had put her on the Taste of the Wild salmon with the big dogs but it started reappearing every night around the same time that the others stopped eating it. I think something changed and they just didn't tell us...
Amber
Amber

Number of posts : 2080

http://www.lotusblossomphotography.com

Back to top Go down

Post  leslyeb 10/7/2009, 7:24 pm

Chyna who will eat anything would not eat the Taste of the Wild Fish based food. I tried it about a year ago.
leslyeb
leslyeb

Number of posts : 707

Back to top Go down

Post  juneau hunter 10/8/2009, 11:00 am

Winston's Mom wrote:I'm eating Bologna sandwiches and they eat the best! So what else is new

LOL I so hear you!!! I just bought a bag of Grasslands (15kg) for $48 and my son said "and all I wanted was a bagel this morning for breakfast...geez!"
juneau hunter
juneau hunter

Number of posts : 2896

Back to top Go down

Post  TNPUGMOMOF3 10/8/2009, 11:07 am

I have just switched the pugs over to the Natural Balance fish and sweet potato. They didn't miss a beat and Bella's allergies seem to be a lot better than before. Way less itchy.
TNPUGMOMOF3
TNPUGMOMOF3

Number of posts : 1982

Back to top Go down

Post  pugpillow 10/8/2009, 10:14 pm

Tonight my pugs had cubed raw pork topped up with a bit of chicken frames. I had cereal.
pugpillow
pugpillow

Number of posts : 944

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down