Pug Authority Forum
Welcome to the Pug Authority forum!

This is a fun, supportive community of pug owners who are dedicated to sharing our experiences regarding responsible pug ownership and learning from others.

You are currently viewing the forum as guest which does not give you the same access as members. Please click the Register button below to join our community! If you are already a member, please log-in!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Pug Authority Forum
Welcome to the Pug Authority forum!

This is a fun, supportive community of pug owners who are dedicated to sharing our experiences regarding responsible pug ownership and learning from others.

You are currently viewing the forum as guest which does not give you the same access as members. Please click the Register button below to join our community! If you are already a member, please log-in!
Pug Authority Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ketamine recall.

4 posters

Go down

Ketamine recall. Empty Ketamine recall.

Post  northernwitch 1/19/2010, 5:17 pm

Teva- who is under going investigation as they manufacture Malaseb and that is now in short supply - has had another recall for Ketamine
an anesthetic- if your dog is undergoing surgery (spay/neuter or other
reason - make sure that your vet is aware of this recall.

Brand names are Ketaset (Fort Dodge/Pfizer), KetaVed
(VEDCO), KetaThesia (Butler), VetaKet (LLOYD Laboratories), Ketaject
(Phoenix), Keta-Sthetic (RVX),and AmTech Group, Inc.

http://www.avma.org/news/ ketamine.asp

Teva Animal Health is not the only manufacturer of ketamine
hydrochloride in the U.S. and not all products sold under the
above-listed names listed are affected. Therefore, regardless of the brand name on the product, look at the lot number on all ketamine hydrochloride (100 mg/ml in 10 ml vials) products.

• If the lot number is 6 numeric digits, the product is NOT part of the recall
  • If the lot number is 7 numeric digits, the product should be returned
  • If the lot number starts with "5401", regardless of the number
    of digits or the presence of letters in the lot code, the product
    should be returned
Veterinarians with questions may contact Teva Animal Health at 800-759-3664 from 8:00 am – 5:00 pm (CST) Monday through Friday.
northernwitch
northernwitch

Number of posts : 11031

http://www.pugalug.com

Back to top Go down

Ketamine recall. Empty Re: Ketamine recall.

Post  Pugsaunt 1/20/2010, 12:16 am

Aw crap.
Pugsaunt
Pugsaunt

Number of posts : 6877

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest 1/20/2010, 3:42 pm

yikes...

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest 1/21/2010, 10:55 am

Dec 29, Peanut had her staples removed from the lux pat surgery, and they used ketamine as she also had stitches removed from entropian surgery. she was fine, I was with her the whole time

A month before I had Bella, my blind diabetic pug in for dental work, and she nearly died right after the ketamine injection. I was holding her, and she just stopped breathing, It was touch and go for a while, she is fine, but no dental surgery. At the time I thought maybe it was an allergic reaction, but now I am MAD. these companies usually know way before a recall that they have a problem.

Vetsulin/Caninsulin is another wonderful example of a irresponsible company.

Joan

Back to top Go down

Post  leslyeb 1/21/2010, 11:53 am

I received an email about this recall a couple of weeks ago. Chyna is due to have a dental on Feb 2 so I printed all the stuff and took it to the vet.
leslyeb
leslyeb

Number of posts : 707

Back to top Go down

Post  northernwitch 1/21/2010, 12:02 pm

PUGSMUM wrote:

Vetsulin/Caninsulin is another wonderful example of a irresponsible company.

Joan
We just learned about that one, Joan, as we have a diabetic dog in rescue. And there doesn't seem to be agreement among our vets as to if this is an issue in Canada--one won't use it and uses human insulin, the other says it's a non-event. Makes it very frustrating. We're playing it safe and using the human insulin. What have you been using?
northernwitch
northernwitch

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest 1/21/2010, 2:34 pm

Have you looked at their website. Both vetsulin and caninsulin are not making the product anymore, it is unstable. They are, however selling off all they have in stock. they are recommending that all users switch over as they are alomost out of product, thankfully, and are telling all vets not to start any new patients on it.

I switched Bella over to humulin about 10 months ago. She was so unstable on the caninsulin, too much rapid acting (30%) in it for her. Her "curves" looked more like a hike up and down Everest than a normal diabetic curve. She has done quite well on the humulin, but its a bit tricky because she also has hepatitis, so some days she decides to metabolize her food at a different rate. As long as I test her bg frequently, its easy to stay on top of whatever she decides to throw at me.

How is your rescue doing? Is she up for adoption? I realy like looking after diabetic, it is a pug right?

I will come back and post the websites fo rthe insulins as soon as I find them

Joan

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest 1/21/2010, 2:37 pm

this is the info for Vetsulin
http://www.vetsulin.com/dog-owner/Vet_ProductAlert.aspx

\Make sure you read it all.......you will be horrified!

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest 1/21/2010, 2:43 pm

this is one of many for caninsulin.........it is exactly the same product as vetsulin, made by the same company.

They also cannot say whether they will ever be able to make it safe, they are working with the fda now....not looking good. I would personally never trust it again. I had enough trouble with it even before this. I belong to a great diabetic canine forum, and I don't believe ANYONE in the US or Canada is still using either one.

http://gadaboutmedia.com/warning-on-caninsulin-diabetic-drug-for-dogscats/

Back to top Go down

Post  northernwitch 1/21/2010, 4:11 pm

PUGSMUM wrote:
How is your rescue doing? Is she up for adoption? I realy like looking after diabetic, it is a pug right?

I will come back and post the websites fo rthe insulins as soon as I find them

Joan
He is doing pretty well--it's Kilo on our website (www.pugalug.com). He's not ready for adoption as we still have his bladder stones to deal with and couldn't until we got him stabilized. Family had him diagnosed with stones in 2007, couldn't afford the surgery so just ignored it and didn't take him to vet again. He was surrendered to us in 2009--and when we did his intake blood work, he was diabetic. Makes you want to kill someone. He seems to be stabilizing, but it's been a rough road for the poor old guy.
northernwitch
northernwitch

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest 1/21/2010, 5:34 pm

He is gorgeous!! Poor old guy, I posted him on the diabetic forum where I am a moderator. I will keep track of him and see how it goes. I would take him now, but we have had 10 surgeries this summer, incl 3 for bladder stones. Costs are very high here, stone surgeries run over $2500 each.
I will see if I can get some donations going for him/

Joan

Back to top Go down

Post  TxAllieGrl 1/21/2010, 5:51 pm

Joan - I've said this before, and it bears repeating. You are a gift. A blessing. THANK YOU!

TxAllieGrl

Number of posts : 5801

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down