Pug Authority Forum
Welcome to the Pug Authority forum!

This is a fun, supportive community of pug owners who are dedicated to sharing our experiences regarding responsible pug ownership and learning from others.

You are currently viewing the forum as guest which does not give you the same access as members. Please click the Register button below to join our community! If you are already a member, please log-in!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Pug Authority Forum
Welcome to the Pug Authority forum!

This is a fun, supportive community of pug owners who are dedicated to sharing our experiences regarding responsible pug ownership and learning from others.

You are currently viewing the forum as guest which does not give you the same access as members. Please click the Register button below to join our community! If you are already a member, please log-in!
Pug Authority Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Blind Puppy

+16
Not Afraid
lawpug
TxAllieGrl
GingerSnap
papaspugs
Rebecca and the Pugs
Saira
Pugsaunt
Imon
HK Pugs
pugmom
TNPUGMOMOF3
Aussie Witch
Tyson&LuLu'sMom
northernwitch
Lilos Mom
20 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Blind Puppy Empty Blind Puppy

Post  Lilos Mom 1/19/2010, 5:23 pm

So....I posted in the chat thread last night after work I went and picked up a 15 week old little fawn boy. He's just stunning, got a nose roll like you would'nt believe. But noticed his eyes were eastie/westie bad. ll get him home last night set up his crate/x-pen, little ceramic water bowl that he can't knock over. This little guy is just a hot mess!! He was soooo scared. Everytime I just gently touched him he just hit the ground, it was so sad!! So I pretty much left him alone last night I know he was overwhelmed, etc.

So, this morning I clean his little area because of course he did'nt hit the puppypad. Well I start just watching him. He never lifts his head up EVER it's just nose to the ground and I notice his body is pressed against the x-pen and he keeps trying to hide himself in the corner of his crate or the corner of the x-pen. So I'm thinking hmmm, can this little guy see? So I lift him up to the light in my office, no response. I put my hand/finger in front of his face to see if he can follow, nope nothing. Eyes never focus. We've got an appt tommorrow tonight so I'll get confirmation but I'm pretty sure little man can't see.

Also, found out he was in a home with 6 children!! I'm sure they manhandeled the crap out of him and that's why he's so fearful. I'm just wondering if maybe he was dropped and this caused the vision loss?? Poor little man, tonight I'm gonna try just sitting in the x-pen with maybe a bit of natural balance roll food and see if I can get him to come by me on his own.
I am going to clean his wrinkle because I'm sure it's never been touched.
Lilos Mom
Lilos Mom

Number of posts : 714

Back to top Go down

Blind Puppy Empty Re: Blind Puppy

Post  northernwitch 1/19/2010, 5:27 pm

Carol:
I have some good articles on dealing with a blind puppy if you're interested. We've had a couple over the years. They usually adapt pretty quickly and very well. Let me know if you want them.
northernwitch
northernwitch

Number of posts : 11031

http://www.pugalug.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Lilos Mom 1/19/2010, 5:46 pm

Blanche, I'd love them. We've had 2 blind pups in rescue both adopted but I've honestly never fostered one. My concern is getting him calm and confident and then to be able to start working with him.
Lilos Mom
Lilos Mom

Back to top Go down

Post  Tyson&LuLu'sMom 1/19/2010, 5:50 pm

Poor little sweetie. I hope he starts to trust you, I bet he's just scared out of his mind and confused. Keep us posted on what you hear about his vision.
Tyson&LuLu'sMom
Tyson&LuLu'sMom

Number of posts : 3776

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest 1/19/2010, 6:39 pm

aw, poor little guy! I am sure he will be just ok if you give him lots of love, time, training, and it will definitely be a learning experience for you. I have never had a blind pet, but I can only imagine. Just love him and boost his confidence and trust and he will eventually learn and adapt. Good luck and keep us posted! *hugs for the lil one!*

ps- would love to see some adorable pics of him! <3

Back to top Go down

Post  Aussie Witch 1/19/2010, 6:43 pm

Poor little soul. I'm glad you got him early in his life so you can give him a good start.
Aussie Witch
Aussie Witch

Number of posts : 8556

Back to top Go down

Post  TNPUGMOMOF3 1/19/2010, 9:17 pm

That is heartbreaking. He will learn to trust, he is still young. Thank you for taking him in!! We need pics too!!!!
TNPUGMOMOF3
TNPUGMOMOF3

Number of posts : 1982

Back to top Go down

Post  pugmom 1/19/2010, 9:26 pm

I can only imagine how afraid this poor little puppy is if he has been handled by six children and he cannot see. Bad enough for that to happen to a puppy who can see.

Great that you took in this little guy. Keep us updated on his progress. How about a name for him?
pugmom
pugmom

Number of posts : 956

Back to top Go down

Post  HK Pugs 1/19/2010, 10:03 pm

Poor little monkey! Blind Puppy Icon_cry I'm sure with patience and love, at his young age, he will slowing begin to respond to you and learn to trust his instincts.
HK Pugs
HK Pugs

Number of posts : 1550

Back to top Go down

Post  Imon 1/19/2010, 10:49 pm

Poor little guy.

Remember, blindness is normal for him - don't let your pity for him get in the way of helping him be as self-sufficient as possible. Use scent or voice cues for him - he'll learn quickly and this will be HIS normal.

I work with a blind student and have learned that I can't let my feelings intrude on my ability to help her maximize her potential. I also had a blind terrier years ago, and she was quite able to follow verbal cues.

While I know you feel sorry for this little guy, if you want to help him, you have to realize that blindness is something that just is, for him, and work within its parameters. I'm glad he's with someone that will help him and work with him.

I might have told the story before, but my blind Kerry Blue once kept me from falling flat on my back on a dark, icy driveway when she refused my commands to walk down that driveway. I couldn't see the ice in the dark. Somehow, she knew it was there and pulled me back from it. Trust this little fellow - he'll be fine.
Imon
Imon

Number of posts : 1898

Back to top Go down

Post  northernwitch 1/19/2010, 11:15 pm

Honestly, blindness is not a disability for most dogs. Hazel is a total lunatic and she has no eyes and wasn't blind as a baby. And look at Kim's Jed (remember him, Kathy?) He's a complete maniac and was likely blind from birth. I know a trainer who is convinced she could teach Jed to do agility. Dogs that are blind from a very early age do REALLY well. It just is the way the world is. I imagine most of his issues are the rotten kids.

When he learns the world isn't terrifying, there will be no stopping him. People always want me to protect Hazel--and I do from stuff that any dog needs to be protected from, but I don't let her live in a bubble and she runs around the dog park like every other dog--she's just not always able to follow the action as accurately.
northernwitch
northernwitch

Back to top Go down

Post  Pugsaunt 1/20/2010, 12:12 am

No advice, just please give the little guy a hug from me, Blind Puppy 335895 and know that you are my hero! Blind Puppy 27965
Pugsaunt
Pugsaunt

Number of posts : 6877

Back to top Go down

Post  Lilos Mom 1/21/2010, 9:44 pm

Blind Puppy 20768_267638116837_529661837_331-1Well heres the update. I named the new baby "Douglas Alexander". He weighed in at 6.8lbs. He's not totally blind but extremely visually impared. He does see shadows so in the next week he'll be going to our ophthalmologist to see what's going on with his eyes. He used the wall in the room as a guide, bumped his head a couple times as Dr. D observed him. Both knee caps are popping we're hoping maybe as he continues to grow everything will tighten up but there's a possibility he'll need corrective surgery. Only one testicle has dropped so we've got to keep on eye on that until he's neutered. He gets happy now when he hears my voice!! He has had very little handeling these past couple of days to let him decompress from his previous torment (lol) He got wormed tonight and we started his vaccs last night.

I've created a photobucket account!! His pictures in there and now I'm going to attempt to put it here for you guys to see him!! It's not the greatest picture Amanda took it on her cellphone at the vets last night.
Lilos Mom
Lilos Mom

Back to top Go down

Post  northernwitch 1/21/2010, 9:53 pm

SWEET little face on him!! Doug the pug....
northernwitch
northernwitch

Back to top Go down

Post  Saira 1/21/2010, 10:01 pm

He's really cute! And congrats on the picture, now...more please! Very Happy
Saira
Saira

Number of posts : 8302

http://www.rescuepugs.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Rebecca and the Pugs 1/21/2010, 10:07 pm

He is darling!! What a precious face.
Rebecca and the Pugs
Rebecca and the Pugs

Number of posts : 2936

Back to top Go down

Post  papaspugs 1/21/2010, 10:13 pm

Poor little monkey, monkey! But he is just absolutely adorable! I want to give him a belly rub. I am sure that he will adjust just fine in time. He is probably relieved to be away from that household. Thanks for stepping in to rescue him! And congrats on posting your first photo!!!
papaspugs
papaspugs

Number of posts : 2297

Back to top Go down

Post  TNPUGMOMOF3 1/21/2010, 10:40 pm

Simply precious...
TNPUGMOMOF3
TNPUGMOMOF3

Number of posts : 1982

Back to top Go down

Post  GingerSnap 1/21/2010, 10:49 pm

What a little cutie!
GingerSnap
GingerSnap

Number of posts : 3547

Back to top Go down

Post  Pugsaunt 1/21/2010, 10:58 pm

Oh, he is so precious, I just want to love all over him!!!!
Pugsaunt
Pugsaunt

Number of posts : 6877

Back to top Go down

Post  TxAllieGrl 1/21/2010, 11:19 pm

Carol -what a cutie he is! I'm so glad he's in your care. Please keep us posted.

TxAllieGrl

Number of posts : 5801

Back to top Go down

Post  Imon 1/22/2010, 12:57 am

What a sweetie this little guy is! Please give him a big hug from me, too!
Imon
Imon

Number of posts : 1898

Back to top Go down

Post  lawpug 1/22/2010, 1:07 am

He's very cute!
lawpug
lawpug

Number of posts : 281

Back to top Go down

Post  Not Afraid 1/22/2010, 1:09 am

Such an adorable little butter ball! I'm so glad he's in your care. I hope the eye doc can figure out what is going on with him.
Not Afraid
Not Afraid

Number of posts : 5095

Back to top Go down

Post  Tyson&LuLu'sMom 1/22/2010, 10:46 am

What a cutie pie!
Tyson&LuLu'sMom
Tyson&LuLu'sMom

Number of posts : 3776

Back to top Go down