Pug Authority Forum
Welcome to the Pug Authority forum!

This is a fun, supportive community of pug owners who are dedicated to sharing our experiences regarding responsible pug ownership and learning from others.

You are currently viewing the forum as guest which does not give you the same access as members. Please click the Register button below to join our community! If you are already a member, please log-in!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Pug Authority Forum
Welcome to the Pug Authority forum!

This is a fun, supportive community of pug owners who are dedicated to sharing our experiences regarding responsible pug ownership and learning from others.

You are currently viewing the forum as guest which does not give you the same access as members. Please click the Register button below to join our community! If you are already a member, please log-in!
Pug Authority Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

10 year old pug not eating

+7
sallyandtilly
papaspugs
TxAllieGrl
Sara
GingerSnap
Aussie Witch
Not Afraid
11 posters

Go down

10 year old pug not eating Empty 10 year old pug not eating

Post  Guest 6/5/2010, 11:04 pm

Boris - our 10 year old pug all of a sudden (last few weeks) became very fussy with food that we had him on four 2 years (spots stew). He started to get diarrahea so the vet put him on prescription diet (I/D) - it worked for a couple of weeks but he was losing weight because he didn't like the food. I tried rice and chicken and he threw it up. We then put him on prescription diet (C/D) - didn't like that. In the last three days he didn't eat much. We took him to the vet yesterday and today and they ran every blood test, xray and barium - all normal. He is lethargic - not sure what to do...vet said that if he doesn't get better need to bring him to an internist next week (also on anti-nausea pills for a couple of days). He was a fat chubby pug and now I worry that he is not eating.....this just came on fairly quickly - any ideas? We made him hamburger meat and he liked that for one meal.........we thought of food allergies....puzzled...

Back to top Go down

10 year old pug not eating Empty Re: 10 year old pug not eating

Post  Not Afraid 6/5/2010, 11:26 pm

Is he drinking water? He may be dehydrated. You can give him pedialyte to help the dehydration (which could make him not hungry). If he doesn't want to drink it, you can put some in a syringe and force feed him.

As for food, I think those prescription diets would make anyone not hungry!!! Halo is a good brand of food but it could be he is getting bored with the flavor. Have you tried other high-quality canned food or raw? Also, try giving him some canned pumpkin with a meal which should help with the loose stool.

I hope you can get him to eat. I would agree with your vet and consider more exploration, I just don't think prescription food is the answer.
Not Afraid
Not Afraid

Number of posts : 5095

Back to top Go down

Post  Aussie Witch 6/6/2010, 12:48 am

So sorry your little guy isn't doing well! The main thing is that you've done every diagnostic test possible to find a cause. In some ways I bet you wish they'd found something that you could treat, but I am sure it's better to have one less thing to worry about.

What about baby food? An all natural variety with low or no sodium and fats. You could try a few varieties to see if one hits the spot. And warming them a little bit will intensify the aroma and taste.

I had an elderly dog that was refusing to eat (we found out she was fighting a major infection) and to get her to eat I was watering down some of the prescription food, placing it in a syringe and force-feeding her. After much effort I got her through. And I would have done it again in a heartbeat.

Hope you can get him to eat.
Aussie Witch
Aussie Witch

Number of posts : 8556

Back to top Go down

Post  GingerSnap 6/6/2010, 2:34 am

I haven't had to deal with this situation yet, but you've had some good suggestions. Good luck!
GingerSnap
GingerSnap

Number of posts : 3547

Back to top Go down

Post  Sara 6/6/2010, 3:23 am

When was the last time the vet checked his teeth? I wonder if something in his mouth might be bothering him.

It seems like maybe it's more than that since he didn't keep down the chicken and rice, but just wondered about the teeth since you already got some good advice about how to get him to eat.

Good luck, it's hard to see a pug not want to eat!
Sara
Sara

Number of posts : 4083

Back to top Go down

Post  TxAllieGrl 6/6/2010, 9:37 am

We mixed a spoonful (or two) of wet, canned food (high quality) in with the kibble, or some plain yogurt. Anything to make it more enticing...

TxAllieGrl

Number of posts : 5801

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest 6/6/2010, 10:36 am

He is drinking and ate some more hamburger meat last night. The vet did check his mouth as well. It seems like he has some reflux but I hate to see him like this the poor little guy. I like the baby food idea and I will try that today. He did keep down the hamburger meat but for a pug that ate everything - this is so hard. Thanks so much for the replies. My son and daughter-in-law who have two pugs (our granddogs - Bella and Natasha) told me to post to this community.

Back to top Go down

Post  TxAllieGrl 6/6/2010, 10:46 am

it is really tough to see a pug refuse to eat! try the pumpkin (100% pure pumpkin, not the pumpkin pie filling), yogurt, and baby food. hopefully one of those will work and Boris will be back to himself soon!

TxAllieGrl

Number of posts : 5801

Back to top Go down

Post  papaspugs 6/6/2010, 11:18 am

Welcome to Pug Authority. Poor little guy...a pug that isn't eating is certainly grounds for concern. Just to echo what everyone else has said about making sure that he's hydrated and trying baby food, has anything else changed for him? Routine, environment, etc? Since he is getting older, a change may have him upset and since he belly is upset he doesn't want to eat. Hope that he is feeling better soon. Keep us updated on how he is doing too.
papaspugs
papaspugs

Number of posts : 2297

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest 6/6/2010, 11:31 am

It wouldn't hurt to see an internist for sure. When bella quit eating a few yrs ago (she was 10) all her blood work was normal too. But a few wks alter she had elevated liver enzymes, and was dx with liver disease. A few months later she had diabetes. All related, and the internist thought the non-eating was a precursor. Not to say your little guy has any of these things, but when a pug stops eating, it is worth more exploration.

BTW on the baby food, check to make sure, as most have onion in them.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest 6/6/2010, 12:22 pm

thanks everyone....we will try baby food today and just got an appointment to see the internist tomorrow.

Back to top Go down

10 year old pug not eating Empty follow-up on Boris

Post  Guest 6/16/2010, 11:03 pm

Well community - not good news. Boris was diagnosed with Irritable Bowel Disease and unfortunately it was very aggressive...after a week of force feeding him, he got pneumonia and then his little body couldn't handle it and he died early Sunday morning. Needless to say we are devastated. The internist said there was nothing we could have done differently - it was protein wasters disease and just comes on very aggressively. I was with him in the end, and I miss my little Borie but he will forever be in my heart. I absolutely love pugs and know I can't replace my Borie but as soon as I heal a little bit - my heart will open up for another cuddly furry baby. I need my lap dog.

Thanks for everyone's thoughts - wanted to share what happened. WE did take him to the vet several times, but when they get something like this - it sort of sneaks up on them. Borie is off to rainbow bridge.

Back to top Go down

Post  sallyandtilly 6/16/2010, 11:07 pm

I'm very sorry you lost your little Boris. candle
sallyandtilly
sallyandtilly

Number of posts : 3150

Back to top Go down

Post  Aussie Witch 6/16/2010, 11:10 pm

I'm so very sorry. I know you did everything for your little guy. And truly, the best way to honour his memory is to bring another little Puggy into your life - sooner rather than later. It really does help the healing.
Aussie Witch
Aussie Witch

Number of posts : 8556

Back to top Go down

Post  Renee 6/17/2010, 12:00 am

I'm so sorry about Boris.
Renee
Renee

Number of posts : 5694

http://www.polarpug.org

Back to top Go down

Post  Saira 6/17/2010, 12:04 am

I am so sorry to hear about your beloved Boris. You did everything you could. hug dog
Saira
Saira

Number of posts : 8302

http://www.rescuepugs.com

Back to top Go down

Post  LisaIzzyAggy 6/17/2010, 7:05 am

I'm so sorry for your loss.
LisaIzzyAggy
LisaIzzyAggy

Number of posts : 3001

Back to top Go down

Post  Eph91 6/17/2010, 8:39 am

I'm so sorry. I posted in the other thread after Boris died, but am just now catching up on what happened to your beloved boy. Hugs to all.
Eph91
Eph91

Number of posts : 2839

Back to top Go down

10 year old pug not eating Empty Loss of Boris

Post  Guest 6/18/2010, 12:34 am

Thanks everyone for your kind thoughts about my Borie. I just got home from a week of travel (normal for me - only Tampa and NY this week) and when I got home my Borie didn't greet me. My two big furry kids did (Ollie the Golden and Suggie the pit mix) but that little guy wasn't here to sit on the recliner with me. Of course I cried but then I just read my thread and your posts really meant a lot to me.

I agree that we need to bring another puggie into our life and we will. We plan on adopting a young rescue pug - hopefully a little girl because I am not sure I want a male just yet. I am hopeful that between the community, pugs n' pals and my daughter-in-law helping me (they have two pugs - Natasha and Bella - my sweet grand doggies) we will find someone (after our vacation this summer) to bring to our loving pet home.

I never realized how amazing of a companion dog they were until now - this is a wonderful community.

AGain, thanks

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down