Pug Authority Forum
Welcome to the Pug Authority forum!

This is a fun, supportive community of pug owners who are dedicated to sharing our experiences regarding responsible pug ownership and learning from others.

You are currently viewing the forum as guest which does not give you the same access as members. Please click the Register button below to join our community! If you are already a member, please log-in!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Pug Authority Forum
Welcome to the Pug Authority forum!

This is a fun, supportive community of pug owners who are dedicated to sharing our experiences regarding responsible pug ownership and learning from others.

You are currently viewing the forum as guest which does not give you the same access as members. Please click the Register button below to join our community! If you are already a member, please log-in!
Pug Authority Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Getting a dog to drink water?

+6
LisaIzzyAggy
smoochieface
papaspugs
Eph91
Tyson&LuLu'sMom
Amber
10 posters

Go down

Getting a dog to drink water? Empty Getting a dog to drink water?

Post  Amber 6/22/2010, 10:49 am

Any ideas? I suggested ice or a little bit of chicken broth in the water.

(Sorry to keep coming to you all with questions about Tiff's Boxer, but y'all are the dog experts in my opinion!)
Amber
Amber

Number of posts : 2080

http://www.lotusblossomphotography.com

Back to top Go down

Getting a dog to drink water? Empty Re: Getting a dog to drink water?

Post  Tyson&LuLu'sMom 6/22/2010, 11:05 am

I remember Joan (pugsmum) suggested putting a little bit of tuna in some water a few times a day.
Tyson&LuLu'sMom
Tyson&LuLu'sMom

Number of posts : 3776

Back to top Go down

Post  Eph91 6/22/2010, 11:48 am

Is the dog eating? I drown Emmet's food in water b/c he's a stone former. I figure that way at least I know he's getting a good amount at each meal.
Eph91
Eph91

Number of posts : 2839

Back to top Go down

Post  Amber 6/22/2010, 11:58 am

Tyson&LuLu'sMom wrote:I remember Joan (pugsmum) suggested putting a little bit of tuna in some water a few times a day.

Thanks, I will mention that to her as well!

Eph91 wrote:Is the dog eating? I drown Emmet's food in water b/c he's a stone former. I figure that way at least I know he's getting a good amount at each meal.

She has eaten treats but not her food yet. She seems to be a really nervous little mite. I suspect it will take a while before she makes herself at home.
Amber
Amber

Back to top Go down

Post  papaspugs 6/22/2010, 12:54 pm

Did Tiffany get a Boxer? Did I miss that post? I hope he/she is doing better about drinking water.
papaspugs
papaspugs

Number of posts : 2297

Back to top Go down

Post  smoochieface 6/22/2010, 1:21 pm

When we needed Bruno to drink more water due to his UTI, we started adding 1/4 to 1/2 cup of water to his kibble. That's what worked for us. But I do recall something about being more careful with that technique with larger dogs because of the risk of bloat (or something like that).
smoochieface
smoochieface

Number of posts : 5123

Back to top Go down

Post  LisaIzzyAggy 6/22/2010, 1:22 pm

Eph91 wrote:Is the dog eating? I drown Emmet's food in water b/c he's a stone former. I figure that way at least I know he's getting a good amount at each meal.

I mix 1/2 cup of water in each of my girls meals also. Cuts down on the UTI's. I think the idea of putting something that tastes good in the water would work well too.
LisaIzzyAggy
LisaIzzyAggy

Number of posts : 3001

Back to top Go down

Post  PhoebesMommy 6/22/2010, 1:27 pm

Phoebe once wouldnt drink water, and someone told me to add a little chicken broth to her water...it gave it some flavor and since it has some natural salts to it, it made her more thirsty to drink more.
PhoebesMommy
PhoebesMommy

Number of posts : 901

Back to top Go down

Post  Amber 6/22/2010, 3:51 pm

papaspugs wrote:Did Tiffany get a Boxer? Did I miss that post? I hope he/she is doing better about drinking water.

Yep! I'll send you a picture message - her name is Matti and she is adorable!

Thanks everyone! I got a text a few minutes ago that she's drinking now. not sure which method worked or if she ust decided on her own to drink. Will let you know when I find out Very Happy
Amber
Amber

Back to top Go down

Post  TNPUGMOMOF3 6/22/2010, 5:15 pm

It's usually nerves. They need to settle in to feel comfortable enough to eat and/or drink sometimes. My other thought was some dogs will only eat or drink out of a certain type bowl if that is what they are used too!
TNPUGMOMOF3
TNPUGMOMOF3

Number of posts : 1982

Back to top Go down

Post  Snifter&Toddy 6/23/2010, 9:43 am

If I have ever thought my boys needed a drink I have put a teaspoon of milk in their bowl of water. I know milk is not ideal but it certainly works for me.
Snifter&Toddy
Snifter&Toddy

Number of posts : 2071

Back to top Go down

Post  ewoodpugz 7/1/2010, 10:12 am

If my boys are ill and I'm worried about them getting plenty of fluids in I just put the slightest dribble of fat free milk in, teeny tiny bit just to colour the water. Works for me.
ewoodpugz
ewoodpugz

Number of posts : 7

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down