Pug Authority Forum
Welcome to the Pug Authority forum!

This is a fun, supportive community of pug owners who are dedicated to sharing our experiences regarding responsible pug ownership and learning from others.

You are currently viewing the forum as guest which does not give you the same access as members. Please click the Register button below to join our community! If you are already a member, please log-in!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Pug Authority Forum
Welcome to the Pug Authority forum!

This is a fun, supportive community of pug owners who are dedicated to sharing our experiences regarding responsible pug ownership and learning from others.

You are currently viewing the forum as guest which does not give you the same access as members. Please click the Register button below to join our community! If you are already a member, please log-in!
Pug Authority Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Meet Rocky Bear... (UPDATE-check near end of this message thread)

+12
PugLady3
Puggered
Stazz
Aussie Witch
Pugsaunt
GingerSnap
papaspugs
northernwitch
lindarpugma
Eph91
Renee
Maryjo
16 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Meet Rocky Bear... (UPDATE-check near end of this message thread) Empty Meet Rocky Bear... (UPDATE-check near end of this message thread)

Post  Maryjo 9/18/2010, 7:42 pm

Sadie from Seward got a call about a 4-yr-old (unneutered) pug boy who would need a home. The usual 'moving can't keep' story. Sadie talked them into giving him up to rescue.

She picked him up today (with release papers in her hand for them to sign) and met me halfway between Seward and Anchorage to hand him over. (About 60 miles one-way for each of us).

What a sweet boy he is! He has a gorgeous, wrinkley, huge head of an un-neutered pug, but his body is skinny. They said he liked staying outside in their yard, and didn't like being indoors much. WTF??

I took a few pics before taking him into Vickie's daycare. He'll go to a foster home as soon as he's neutered. I'll get better pics next week after he's neutered.

His name is Rocky. I added 'Bear' for a middle name because we have so many 'Rocky' pugs up here right now. *LOL*

I love his face!
Meet Rocky Bear... (UPDATE-check near end of this message thread) Rockybear2934

Where are we?
Meet Rocky Bear... (UPDATE-check near end of this message thread) Rockybear2935

What a sweetie:
Meet Rocky Bear... (UPDATE-check near end of this message thread) Rockybear2937

Last edited by Maryjo on 9/24/2010, 10:39 am; edited 1 time in total
Maryjo
Maryjo

Number of posts : 4954

http://www.maryjoalaska.com/

Back to top Go down

Meet Rocky Bear... (UPDATE-check near end of this message thread) Empty Re: Meet Rocky Bear... (UPDATE-check near end of this message thread)

Post  Renee 9/18/2010, 7:49 pm

MaryJo! He is gorgeous!!! I'm sure he'll go quickly!

Sorry I didn't get to meet him, but I'm sure I will soon. I'll be meeting, and likely taking, Lucky tonight.
Renee
Renee

Number of posts : 5694

http://www.polarpug.org

Back to top Go down

Meet Rocky Bear... (UPDATE-check near end of this message thread) Empty Re: Meet Rocky Bear... (UPDATE-check near end of this message thread)

Post  Eph91 9/18/2010, 7:51 pm

If I lived closer I may be quite tempted to break my promise that I'm at my limit with two. Gads, he is adorable.
Eph91
Eph91

Number of posts : 2839

Back to top Go down

Post  lindarpugma 9/18/2010, 7:55 pm

He's beautiful. I am so glad you were able to get him so he can get into a real pug home.
lindarpugma
lindarpugma

Number of posts : 593

Back to top Go down

Post  Maryjo 9/18/2010, 7:57 pm

Renee wrote:MaryJo! He is gorgeous!!! I'm sure he'll go quickly!

Sorry I didn't get to meet him, but I'm sure I will soon. I'll be meeting, and likely taking, Lucky tonight.

He's at the daycare. I would have brought him straight home, but many of my gang do not get along with unneutered dogs.

Send me pictures of Lucky, I don't have any yet.
Maryjo
Maryjo

Back to top Go down

Post  northernwitch 9/18/2010, 8:04 pm

He's a handsome one! Great face on him.
northernwitch
northernwitch

Number of posts : 11031

http://www.pugalug.com

Back to top Go down

Post  papaspugs 9/18/2010, 9:09 pm

MJ, he is so handsome!!! Great nose rolls. I am sure that he will make someone very happy (once he's neutered)! Keep us updated on him.
papaspugs
papaspugs

Number of posts : 2297

Back to top Go down

Post  GingerSnap 9/18/2010, 9:59 pm

Gah!!!!! He's so handsome!
GingerSnap
GingerSnap

Number of posts : 3547

Back to top Go down

Post  Pugsaunt 9/18/2010, 10:13 pm

Oh, handsome boy!! I can tell that he is a bit skinny, though. And is that a bad PK in his left eye?
Pugsaunt
Pugsaunt

Number of posts : 6877

Back to top Go down

Post  Aussie Witch 9/19/2010, 12:26 am

Love him! Yep, he won't be fostered for long.... Very Happy
Aussie Witch
Aussie Witch

Number of posts : 8556

Back to top Go down

Post  Stazz 9/19/2010, 1:11 am

If I lived in the USA, it wouldn't matter which state....I'd be there to fetch this little handsome guy. MY GOLLY !!!!!!
He really is gorgeous ! He'll be snapped up so fast, I'm sure. How could ANYONE leave a cute boy like that, outside, and without a home !!!!!! hair pull
Stazz
Stazz

Number of posts : 348

Back to top Go down

Post  Puggered 9/19/2010, 1:18 am

Pugsaunt wrote:Oh, handsome boy!! I can tell that he is a bit skinny, though. And is that a bad PK in his left eye?
A bit skinny? And here's me thinking gee, he looks in good condition compared to a lot of surrenders! Maybe in his wisdom he preferred to be outside for healthful exercise and less treat temptation? ashamed

Can I be nosy and ask why he ended up in rescue? Oops sorry, you did say "moving can't keep". Incredible he was surrendered! I'm glad he was though, especially as he is entire (temporarily Wink I'm sure he won't be long waiting for a new home once he's ready for adoption.

Last edited by Puggered on 9/19/2010, 1:21 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Didn't read starting post properly)
Puggered
Puggered

Number of posts : 1517

Back to top Go down

Post  Renee 9/19/2010, 3:59 am

I met him tonight. He has the biggest pug head I have ever seen! Beautiful wrinkles. And, yes, he is underweight. Don't be fooled by the big head. His tail is very thick, and he has big paws too. Still the body is a little too skinny.

He seemed to be laboring to breathe, which worries me, since it is definitely not a weight issue.

He was very polite though when I met him. I can't imagine he would prefer to be outside more than inside.
Renee
Renee

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest 9/19/2010, 9:26 am

Very handsome, love that round wrinkly face.

Back to top Go down

Post  PugLady3 9/19/2010, 9:33 am

What a gorgeous boy! I'm sure that he won't be around long once he's neutered & ready to be adopted. SO handsome! hug dog
PugLady3
PugLady3

Number of posts : 2562

http://www.northernillinoispugrescue.org

Back to top Go down

Post  Saira 9/19/2010, 11:05 am

He's really handsome! I'm glad he is going to get a chance to be a real pug!
Saira
Saira

Number of posts : 8302

http://www.rescuepugs.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Tyson&LuLu'sMom 9/20/2010, 9:35 am

Oh what a face!! His wrinkles are gorgeous. I hope everything goes well with his neutering and he finds a great forever home soon. hug dog
Tyson&LuLu'sMom
Tyson&LuLu'sMom

Number of posts : 3776

Back to top Go down

Meet Rocky Bear... (UPDATE-check near end of this message thread) Empty Twist of fate...

Post  Maryjo 9/20/2010, 1:46 pm

Well... The former owner called me crying, she misses him... She says her husband misses him so much they want to take him (and his pug sister) with them down the Alcan when they go.

I talked to Vickie. We decided they could adopt him back, but not until he's neutered (in case the they want him back to sell to a breeder). He gets his exam today, and neutered on Thursday. They are supposedly coming in Sunday to get him.

Vickie called her and told her the by-laws stated no dog gets adopted until spayed or neutered and she was OK with it. So I guess they are going to come in Sunday, pay the $200 adoption fee and take him.

I kind of hope they change their mind, but I guess this scenario is better than them trying to get him back intact.
Maryjo
Maryjo

Back to top Go down

Post  Renee 9/20/2010, 1:52 pm

You know MaryJo, Vickie told me this yesterday. I feel weird about it, since she already gave him up....but, at the same time, if she was impulsive about the decision, and is now willing to pay to adopt him back....then, at least he is getting neutered.

I asked Vickie if she has done this before, and she said she has. I trust her judgment.

Rocky is going to think he went on a long adventure that ends with losing his brains and then back home!
Renee
Renee

Back to top Go down

Post  Maryjo 9/20/2010, 2:02 pm

Renee wrote:You know MaryJo, Vickie told me this yesterday. I feel weird about it, since she already gave him up....but, at the same time, if she was impulsive about the decision, and is now willing to pay to adopt him back....then, at least he is getting neutered.

I asked Vickie if she has done this before, and she said she has. I trust her judgment.

Rocky is going to think he went on a long adventure that ends with losing his brains and then back home!

Vickie and I talked a long time about it. Since the gal was not going to fight the neutering, we decided it was OK to let him go back to his former owners. If she had fought the neutering, we would not have allowed it. He is PPR's dog now, and we have to go by our rules.

It was a difficult decision, but we hope it is the right one.
Maryjo
Maryjo

Back to top Go down

Meet Rocky Bear... (UPDATE-check near end of this message thread) Empty UPDATE!

Post  Maryjo 9/24/2010, 10:38 am

Poor Rocky Bear was neutered yesterday (Thursday)... I say 'poor' because the lil' guy ended up getting soft pallet and nare surgery on top of his cryptorchid neuter. He's staying at our place to recover- with 4 different meds. He couldn't keep anything down last night, so no meds. (They'd given him a pain shot at the vet's so he was OK). He didn't eat much this AM, but the meds i had to give stayed down. He should be feeling much better tonight.

Supposedly his former owners will be getting him this weekend. I am hoping Vickie talks them out of it. His nose stiches come out in two weeks, and there isn't a vet permanently in Seward. Just a parttime one. Plus, I am not sure when they are going to be traveling out of Alaska down the Alaska highway. No vets in the middle of nowhere.

Vickie is out of town this weekend. I am to meet with them on Sunday. We'll see what happens.

Maryjo
Maryjo

Back to top Go down

Post  TxAllieGrl 9/24/2010, 11:19 am

Mary Jo - I'm glad his neuter and other procedures went well.

I have huge concerns about doing all that work and sending him back to his former owners - regardless of whether or not they pay the adoption fee. I have to go back to "if you can't afford the vet, you can't afford the pet". Who's to say he won't need some additional vet care in the future, that they can't afford?

TxAllieGrl

Number of posts : 5801

Back to top Go down

Post  Maryjo 9/24/2010, 11:54 am

TxAllieGrl wrote:Mary Jo - I'm glad his neuter and other procedures went well.

I have huge concerns about doing all that work and sending him back to his former owners - regardless of whether or not they pay the adoption fee. I have to go back to "if you can't afford the vet, you can't afford the pet". Who's to say he won't need some additional vet care in the future, that they can't afford?

I agree with the not affording it part, Allie. But they didn't turn him in because they couldn't afford anything. They turned him in because the oil company he works for was relocating him back into the lower 48 states and at the time, they didn't want to travel with 2 pugs.

Now, the man says (crying to wife) that he misses him too much and they want to travel with him and the black pug girl they had already found a home for, but hadn't taken her to yet. I think the wife feels we should keep him. I am hoping they decide to not take him back. They are willing to pay his normal adoption fee to get him back.

Vickie is now out of town until Monday, but still trying to get in touch with them. They need to know what he has cost us. Even if we found another person to adopt him, his adoption fees aren't based on what we spent on him, so can we charge more to the former owners based on what he cost us? It is a dilemma for us.

hair pull Personally, I don't want to give him back at all.
Maryjo
Maryjo

Back to top Go down

Post  TxAllieGrl 9/24/2010, 12:06 pm

Ah - thanks for the clarification Mary Jo. Idunno, in my mind, I can't see that the reason makes a huge difference in whether or not to surrender the pug. They did...and now they regret it?

On one hand, I do think I would ask them to reimburse for the vet bills in full. This isn't a typical adoption situation, and is definitely out of the norm.

On the other hand, if you didn't return the pug, what's the likelihood they'll run out to a pet store or BYB to scoop up another pug when they get to their destination? Is that better or worse?

So my opinion (all 2 cents worth!) is that if returning them is a real consideration (and sounds like it is), get reimbursed for the vet fees. They would have incurred those fees themselves to properly care for him.

Idunno, I certainly see the dilemma here, and it's making the "least-worst" choice.

TxAllieGrl

Number of posts : 5801

Back to top Go down

Post  Saira 9/24/2010, 12:23 pm

MJ, here is my two cents. We have had a few people want the pugs back, and we have only done it once. My question is, what is the best choice for the pug? I actually put aside the people in a case like this and focus on what is best for the pug-many times people DO miss the pug, and I get that, but the reason they gave them to rescue in the first place is usually still there (no money, moving, keeping them in less than ideal conditions, etc).

The one we did give back was a girl who lost her job and had to move back in with her dad. She was heartbroken but her dad wouldn't let her keep her pug. This pug was extremely well take care of-fixed, utd on shots, just great. And he was traumatized when he was turned in, you could tell they were VERY bonded. A couple of days later, the dad called us saying he had made a terrible mistake and that he didn't realize HOW much his daughter loved that pug and would we consider giving him back, and he would let them live there-he was upset to see his daughter so upset. So in that case, I do think it was the best decision for the pug.

Just my two cents, it's a tough call!

Saira
Saira

Number of posts : 8302

http://www.rescuepugs.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next