Pug Authority Forum
Welcome to the Pug Authority forum!

This is a fun, supportive community of pug owners who are dedicated to sharing our experiences regarding responsible pug ownership and learning from others.

You are currently viewing the forum as guest which does not give you the same access as members. Please click the Register button below to join our community! If you are already a member, please log-in!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Pug Authority Forum
Welcome to the Pug Authority forum!

This is a fun, supportive community of pug owners who are dedicated to sharing our experiences regarding responsible pug ownership and learning from others.

You are currently viewing the forum as guest which does not give you the same access as members. Please click the Register button below to join our community! If you are already a member, please log-in!
Pug Authority Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Itchy Pugs

+6
Tyson&LuLu'sMom
Two Crazy Pugs
northernwitch
Renee
LisaIzzyAggy
Saira
10 posters

Go down

Itchy Pugs Empty Itchy Pugs

Post  Saira 10/23/2010, 10:20 am

Ok I need your brains to pick on what I can try for the boys. The past couple of weeks they have been itching up a storm-neither have had issues before (I am sure Sophie would be itching too but she is on Atopica). Anyways, yes-they are on grain free food. Nothing has changed as far as new stuff in their lives. I am wondering if the rain we have had lately made some weeds sprout up, so I bought baby wipes so I can wipe them down after they go out. They went to the vet last week and they looked fine-no yeast, ear infections, etc.

Any ideas on what I can try? Hooli the worst-he just scratches and scratches and has bled a couple of times (his foot).

Saira
Saira

Number of posts : 8302

http://www.rescuepugs.com

Back to top Go down

Itchy Pugs Empty Re: Itchy Pugs

Post  LisaIzzyAggy 10/23/2010, 1:34 pm

I'd start with Benedryl. If they haven't taken it before start with 1/2 25 mg. tablet every 8 hours up to 1 full 25 mg. tablet every 8 hours. You can give them fish oil if you're not already and oatmeal soaks. Aggy gets itchy like that periodically for no apparent reason and I've had pretty good luck with the Benedryl.
LisaIzzyAggy
LisaIzzyAggy

Number of posts : 3001

Back to top Go down

Post  Renee 10/23/2010, 2:34 pm

My Skeeter gets itchy from outside stuff too.

I treat with Benedryl twice a day, and wipe the area he's itching with betadine solution. The betadine will help, as its an antiseptic. After a few days, Skeeter's itchies dry up and sort of peel a little, then go away. We go through this at least 4-5 times a summer.

You could try malacetic wipes too, which are an alternative to malesab.
Renee
Renee

Number of posts : 5694

http://www.polarpug.org

Back to top Go down

Post  Saira 10/23/2010, 2:36 pm

Thanks for the suggestions guys! I have been giving benedryl, it works but the SECOND it wears off, they itch again-they woke me up last night scratching away.
Saira
Saira

Back to top Go down

Post  northernwitch 10/23/2010, 4:21 pm

Sounds seasonal to me. Both Tank and Theo get itchy in the fall, especially if it's a damp fall. We suspect leaf mold (I'm also allergic to it).

I've had pretty decent success with Reactine--one a day per dog during the seasonal allergy phases.
northernwitch
northernwitch

Number of posts : 11031

http://www.pugalug.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Two Crazy Pugs 10/23/2010, 4:37 pm

Gidget has been itching more lately, but it isn't like what she was before we switched food. B has been licking his paws now that I think about it. You might be right that the rain caused something to sprout around here.
Two Crazy Pugs
Two Crazy Pugs

Number of posts : 1295

Back to top Go down

Post  Tyson&LuLu'sMom 10/23/2010, 6:43 pm

If it's not seasonal, do you think it could be the protein source, even though they are eating grain free? I think you said you feed Force, so that would be chicken right?
Tyson&LuLu'sMom
Tyson&LuLu'sMom

Number of posts : 3776

Back to top Go down

Post  Saira 10/23/2010, 7:36 pm

Tyson&LuLu'sMom wrote:If it's not seasonal, do you think it could be the protein source, even though they are eating grain free? I think you said you feed Force, so that would be chicken right?

Yes, we switch between Embark (turkey) and Force. I don't think it'd be the protein source because it came on around the same time with both boys but who knows! I am going to try Zeal too just to see if that chances anything.
Saira
Saira

Back to top Go down

Post  Mel 10/23/2010, 10:36 pm

ya know, now that you mention it, zoe's been itching more too. not her ears or feet, rather her bum! I know because there's a missing patch of hair on the back of her tail. confused I haven't seen her itch more, but that's got to be it. She's been on HK for over a month and this just started recently. Hopefully it is from the rain!

Should I give her anything? or maybe put some dermavet on her tail?
Mel
Mel

Number of posts : 3270

Back to top Go down

Post  LisaIzzyAggy 10/24/2010, 8:32 am

Saira for 12 hours relief so they won't wake you up try Tavist Allery (NOT Tavist D). Dose is 1/2 tablet every 12 hours. Got that tip from my vet. It's more expensive than Benedryl but works great.

Mel, Izzy gets an itchy spot on her tail just above her butt. My vet has me put a dab of Preperation H or something similar twice a day.
LisaIzzyAggy
LisaIzzyAggy

Number of posts : 3001

Back to top Go down

Post  Saira 10/25/2010, 12:35 pm

I will try Tavist, poor Hooli's wrinkles are still so bad. They actually look good one day, and then look terrible the next. I hope this weather clears up soon!

Saira
Saira

Back to top Go down

Itchy Pugs Empty Itchy Pugs

Post  my2puggies 12/3/2010, 6:32 pm

Hi Saira and Pug Friends!
Bella has been chewing her paws and her groin until they are bloodied... I have given her Benadryl and changed her food to Canadae recently- vet says it's just allergies, but it is upsetting to see her suffering... I will try the Tavist Allergy to see if that works better. Thank you for the tip!
Kimm

my2puggies

Number of posts : 11

Back to top Go down

Post  sallyandtilly 12/3/2010, 6:45 pm

Just thought I would mention that Tilly is allergic to softener and laundry detergent. I use the Free kind for her bedding, but the regular kind for my clothes so she still itches somewhat. Tilly is also allergic to fertilizer and chemicals like that. There are so many things that could be making your guys itch, it's not just food.
sallyandtilly
sallyandtilly

Number of posts : 3150

Back to top Go down

Post  juneau hunter 12/3/2010, 9:54 pm

When I picked up Turbo he had that large itchy spot on his lower back, the size of a tennis ball. It was hairless and scabby he was scratching so much. The vet told me to pick up this stuff called "Bailey's Skin Rescue." It is a cream with lavender, tea tree essential oils and acidophilus. I put it on him 3 times per day and he stopped scratching right away. The hair has completely grown back. He has Benadryl every day, also.
juneau hunter
juneau hunter

Number of posts : 2896

Back to top Go down

Post  northernwitch 12/3/2010, 11:00 pm

juneau hunter wrote:When I picked up Turbo he had that large itchy spot on his lower back, the size of a tennis ball. It was hairless and scabby he was scratching so much. The vet told me to pick up this stuff called "Bailey's Skin Rescue." It is a cream with lavender, tea tree essential oils and acidophilus. I put it on him 3 times per day and he stopped scratching right away. The hair has completely grown back. He has Benadryl every day, also.
Huh! Never heard of it, but will look for it. Good tip, Tarrington.

Hazel is really itchy these days and I'm not sure what the heck it is. The Benadryl hasn't been working all that well so maybe I'll try the Tavist Allergy.
northernwitch
northernwitch

Back to top Go down

Post  juneau hunter 12/4/2010, 11:44 am

northernwitch wrote:
juneau hunter wrote:When I picked up Turbo he had that large itchy spot on his lower back, the size of a tennis ball. It was hairless and scabby he was scratching so much. The vet told me to pick up this stuff called "Bailey's Skin Rescue." It is a cream with lavender, tea tree essential oils and acidophilus. I put it on him 3 times per day and he stopped scratching right away. The hair has completely grown back. He has Benadryl every day, also.
Huh! Never heard of it, but will look for it. Good tip, Tarrington.

Hazel is really itchy these days and I'm not sure what the heck it is. The Benadryl hasn't been working all that well so maybe I'll try the Tavist Allergy.

Blanche, I just looked it up online and its made in Canada....ummm Nova Scotia actually rofl Just can't get away from the Nova Scotian's this week.

I was able to get some at Global Pet Foods. Not sure if you have that chain in your area. Here is the link:

Bailey's Skin Rescue
juneau hunter
juneau hunter

Number of posts : 2896

Back to top Go down

Post  northernwitch 12/5/2010, 5:48 pm

Yep--lots of Globals here, but Tavist Allergy is discontinued here. My pharmacist says it hasn't been sold in a couple of years--not sure if that's Canada wide or province to province.
northernwitch
northernwitch

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down