Pug Authority Forum
Welcome to the Pug Authority forum!

This is a fun, supportive community of pug owners who are dedicated to sharing our experiences regarding responsible pug ownership and learning from others.

You are currently viewing the forum as guest which does not give you the same access as members. Please click the Register button below to join our community! If you are already a member, please log-in!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Pug Authority Forum
Welcome to the Pug Authority forum!

This is a fun, supportive community of pug owners who are dedicated to sharing our experiences regarding responsible pug ownership and learning from others.

You are currently viewing the forum as guest which does not give you the same access as members. Please click the Register button below to join our community! If you are already a member, please log-in!
Pug Authority Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Demodectic Mange

+9
GracieNEmma
MackandMattiesMom
Amber
Puggered
Rebecca and the Pugs
thminis
Miss Pit
Aussie Witch
StellasMama
13 posters

Go down

Demodectic Mange Empty Demodectic Mange

Post  StellasMama 12/7/2010, 11:10 pm

I have a 6 month old Pug -Stella. She has a horrible case of Demodectic Mange. I took her to a friends friend who is a vet - he did a scraping and he confirmed it was Demodectic Mange. We were told to give her Invermectin but the paste only comes for large animals he said to 'rub a small' amount on a dog treat but I am not clear as to exactly how much or how often and he is now on holiday. He also said she didnt appear to be in pain and that it is very common but it sure looks painful and i am not sure whatelse I can do for her.
Please help!
Thanks
StellasMama
StellasMama

Number of posts : 2

Back to top Go down

Demodectic Mange Empty Re: Demodectic Mange

Post  Aussie Witch 12/7/2010, 11:33 pm

Hi and welcome to the forum! I don't have any experience with Demodectic mange, but I know a few people here do and will be able to give you some really good advice on what to do. It can be a process to treat it, but I when you put in the effort you can clear it up. You also need to get some good advice on managing it so it doesn't return.

Be patient and I know someone will chime in with really good advice. There are some great people on this board that can help with this condition. Just about every issue you can have with a Pug, you'll find at least ONE person here who has gone through it before!

The best of luck in treating it!
Aussie Witch
Aussie Witch

Number of posts : 8556

Back to top Go down

Post  Miss Pit 12/8/2010, 12:16 am

The paste is not the one you need for treating mange. The vet should have been able to give you a bottle of the liquid Ivermectin,with the exact measurements. The liquid is the injectible 1% solution for cattle and swine and it's given orally. PLEASE ask your vet how much to give. I have a chart,but I'm not a vet. And I stress on the exact dosage because you can end up casuing neurological problems,blindess and possibly death. I've seen it happen. Are you also dipping the pup? It's not recommended to dip toy breeds,esp. puppies.

Thanks,
Trish

Last edited by Miss Pit on 12/8/2010, 12:26 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : forgot something)

Miss Pit

Number of posts : 986

Back to top Go down

Post  thminis 12/8/2010, 12:33 am

Just to add to what Trish said, the dip for demodex is highly toxic to people (and animals) if administered incorrectly or ingested. No vet should be sending it home for the owner to do. Back home at the vet's where I work, we see a lot of pits, especially puppies, come in with demodex. My vets actually usually recommend dipping versus other treatments, so I don't have much experience with them. I would agree that paste Ivermectin is, to my knowledge, solely to treat intestinal parasites. Demodex is a mite that goes under the skin (but is not contagious via contact like Scabies).

It's unfortunate you aren't comfortable with how the vet left you. I know you said it's a friend of a friend, but don't be afraid to go to a different vet if you prefer.
thminis
thminis

Number of posts : 1139

Back to top Go down

Post  Rebecca and the Pugs 12/8/2010, 1:31 am

Bubba had a severe case almost 11 years ago. He was on liquid ivermectin for 18 months before it was cleared. It has been a long time but I would have to bring him to the vet either weekly or every other week to be weighed to make sure the dosage was correct. He would also have to have skin scrapings, maybe monthly. Like I said, it has been a long time. My vet also had him on EFA's and Missing Link. He also had a special shampoo that would bubble the pustules (sort of like hydrogen peroxide does). I am sure others may have more current info to share.
Rebecca and the Pugs
Rebecca and the Pugs

Number of posts : 2936

Back to top Go down

Post  Puggered 12/8/2010, 4:20 am

You are dealing with medications which are necessary in this case but can be highly dangerous if not used properly.

For Stella's sake, don't fear upsetting your friend's friend, just find another vet who will oversee the treatment properly!

Edited to add: it is also a great idea to boost her immune system (Missing Link has already been mentioned), getting a good amount of anti-oxidants into her diet can also help immensely. You might like to consider enriching her diet.

Last edited by Puggered on 12/8/2010, 4:25 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : another thought)
Puggered
Puggered

Number of posts : 1517

Back to top Go down

Post  Rebecca and the Pugs 12/8/2010, 10:13 am

Puggered wrote:You are dealing with medications which are necessary in this case but can be highly dangerous if not used properly.

For Stella's sake, don't fear upsetting your friend's friend, just find another vet who will oversee the treatment properly!

Edited to add: it is also a great idea to boost her immune system (Missing Link has already been mentioned), getting a good amount of anti-oxidants into her diet can also help immensely. You might like to consider enriching her diet.
yes, I forgot that Bubba did have an anti-oxidant powder on his food. I forget the name of it, but I did get it from the vet.
Rebecca and the Pugs
Rebecca and the Pugs

Number of posts : 2936

Back to top Go down

Post  Amber 12/8/2010, 10:32 am

First of all, I am so sorry that you and Stella are going through this. Second, I'd like to echo what everyone else said about finding a new vet. You need someone you trust to get you through this often long treatment. Third, when my Golden Einstein had it a few years ago he was treated with the dips but we also added Bovine Colostrum to his food to help boost his immune system.

Good luck and I hope Stella is on the road to recovery very soon! hug dog
Amber
Amber

Number of posts : 2080

http://www.lotusblossomphotography.com

Back to top Go down

Post  MackandMattiesMom 12/8/2010, 10:42 am

My puppy, Sue-Shi had mange pretty bad as a puppy. I was afraid to try the dips and Ivermectin as I had heard they could cause problems. The rescue I volunteer for suggested we try Promeris, which is labeled for use as a flea and tick preventative. It worked wonders and she cleared up very quickly and now has the shiniest, softest fur. I ordered it from EntirelyPets.com. I applied one dose every 2-3 weeks and gave her 4 doses total. It really worked great and she had no side effects.
MackandMattiesMom
MackandMattiesMom

Number of posts : 2609

Back to top Go down

Post  GracieNEmma 12/8/2010, 11:02 am

My youngest pug, Emma, got mange after her spay. It's very common in puppies and we too used the Ivermectin. I would highly suggest staying away from doing any dips. Too me, anything that you have to use gloves and a mask to apply to your dog, surely can't be healthy for the dog. I don't remember the dosage of Ivermectin we gave her but I do remember doing it twice a day on her food and it took about 2 months to clear up. I ditto what everyone else said and visit a vet that can give you the right dosage so you can get it cleared up. Good luck and welcome to the board. Very Happy
GracieNEmma
GracieNEmma

Number of posts : 1065

Back to top Go down

Post  northernwitch 12/8/2010, 2:23 pm

Oh the joys of demodex. I have had several dogs with it--from severe (looked like a burn victim) to mild. We have treated it with the oral ivermectin with great success. And definitely immune boost as demodex is a result of a not fully functioning immune system--which is why it's most often seen in puppies. There are a bunch of good products out there.

The dips are absolutely archaic and extremely toxic. I wouldn't ever use them. Having said that, ALL the treatments for demodex are somewhat toxic and some dogs will have reactions to various ones. I've not had a reaction to Ivermectin so far, but no guarantee it couldn't happen. I have seen several dogs treated with Advantage Multi--which was uniformly unsuccessful. My one foster who did look like a burn victim had been on the Advantage Multi for months with no success and we used Ivermectin on him. I also used medicated baths as his skin was in horrific condition and I applied an essential oil combination to promote healing.

GOOD food is essential.
northernwitch
northernwitch

Number of posts : 11031

http://www.pugalug.com

Back to top Go down

Post  TNPUGMOMOF3 12/8/2010, 2:30 pm

I am a huge fan of Promeris. I have had two bad cases of mange with fosters. Hank was the worst (see burn victim) and he was treated every two weeks for two months and then two more once a month. I got him in begining of Oct and he was mite free by Xmas. I also add Midding Link to the food to aid with the immune system. It looks bad, but it's cureable.
TNPUGMOMOF3
TNPUGMOMOF3

Number of posts : 1982

Back to top Go down

Demodectic Mange Empty thanks!

Post  StellasMama 12/28/2010, 8:20 pm

You guys are fricken AWESOME!
We stayed on the paste and it looks like she is back to normal! Thanks for all of your info and concern! It is very much appreciated!
StellasMama
StellasMama

Number of posts : 2

Back to top Go down

Post  TxAllieGrl 12/28/2010, 9:29 pm

StellasMama wrote:You guys are fricken AWESOME!
We stayed on the paste and it looks like she is back to normal! Thanks for all of your info and concern! It is very much appreciated!

that's great news! thanks for popping back in to update us.

TxAllieGrl

Number of posts : 5801

Back to top Go down

Post  LisaIzzyAggy 12/29/2010, 8:14 am

That's great news! cheers
LisaIzzyAggy
LisaIzzyAggy

Number of posts : 3001

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content