Pug Authority Forum
Welcome to the Pug Authority forum!

This is a fun, supportive community of pug owners who are dedicated to sharing our experiences regarding responsible pug ownership and learning from others.

You are currently viewing the forum as guest which does not give you the same access as members. Please click the Register button below to join our community! If you are already a member, please log-in!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Pug Authority Forum
Welcome to the Pug Authority forum!

This is a fun, supportive community of pug owners who are dedicated to sharing our experiences regarding responsible pug ownership and learning from others.

You are currently viewing the forum as guest which does not give you the same access as members. Please click the Register button below to join our community! If you are already a member, please log-in!
Pug Authority Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Bland Diet

+7
PugLady3
akc0104
Milosmom
Rebecca and the Pugs
TxAllieGrl
dieselsmom
Tyson&LuLu'sMom
11 posters

Go down

Bland Diet Empty Bland Diet

Post  Tyson&LuLu'sMom 6/21/2011, 9:25 am

LuLu needs to be on a bland diet until her poop gets back to normal. Do you guys do boiled hamburger and rice, or boiled chicken and rice? I only have white minute rice at home, is there something else that would be better?
I didn't have anything (chicken or hamburger) thawed, so I just got one can of I/D food until I could make up a batch of "homemade bland".
Tyson&LuLu'sMom
Tyson&LuLu'sMom

Number of posts : 3776

Back to top Go down

Bland Diet Empty Re: Bland Diet

Post  dieselsmom 6/21/2011, 9:40 am

I use either hamburger or rice, typically whatever I have on hand at the time. Kayla was on bland diet for the last 6 weeks before we let her go and I did pretty much all hamburger and rice because the hamburger was cheaper. But I've used both in the past. I also only use Minute rice - I've never actually made any kind of rice other than minute rice!!
dieselsmom
dieselsmom

Number of posts : 2235

http://www.cloudk9.webs.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Tyson&LuLu'sMom 6/21/2011, 9:47 am

dieselsmom wrote:I use either hamburger or rice, typically whatever I have on hand at the time. Kayla was on bland diet for the last 6 weeks before we let her go and I did pretty much all hamburger and rice because the hamburger was cheaper. But I've used both in the past. I also only use Minute rice - I've never actually made any kind of rice other than minute rice!!

I've never made anything besides minute rice either. I've also never boiled hamburger meat...
Tyson&LuLu'sMom
Tyson&LuLu'sMom

Back to top Go down

Post  TxAllieGrl 6/21/2011, 9:49 am

I use the minute rice for my kids too. I typically use chicken, but agree that the hamburger is cheaper than chicken breasts. You could also get a value pack of boneless thighs - those tend to be cheaper than the breasts.

TxAllieGrl

Number of posts : 5801

Back to top Go down

Post  Rebecca and the Pugs 6/21/2011, 10:04 am

When Jewel was on a bland diet, I would often just stop at the Chinese place and pick up steamed rice on the way home. The vet told me not to use thighs because they were more fatty than the breasts and her tummy couldn't handle that at the time. I even tried the I/D kibble with her because she didn't like canned.
Rebecca and the Pugs
Rebecca and the Pugs

Number of posts : 2936

Back to top Go down

Post  Milosmom 6/21/2011, 10:33 am

I use both, depending on who it's for (and never anything but minute rice either) because Milo doesn't do to well with beef in any form.
I prefer hamburger though as it's cheaper and goes a whole lot farther in quantity.
Milosmom
Milosmom

Number of posts : 1178

Back to top Go down

Post  akc0104 6/21/2011, 10:43 am

I use chicken and rice, but not minute Wink

I recommended this to a friend whose dog was having tummy troubles a few months ago. The dog ended up being allergic to rice and ended up at the vet twice before they figured it out. Shocked I felt horrible.
akc0104
akc0104

Number of posts : 1742

Back to top Go down

Post  PugLady3 6/21/2011, 11:53 am

We use white Minute Rice (or leftover white rice from Chinese take-out) but you can also use brown rice. We typically use lean hamburger or ground turkey, but I usually brown it up it in a frying pan & drain off the grease instead of boiling.
PugLady3
PugLady3

Number of posts : 2562

http://www.northernillinoispugrescue.org

Back to top Go down

Post  Renee 6/21/2011, 12:48 pm

I use chicken or hamburger or ground turkey - whatever I have. If I have the chicken, I will boil and then shred it. If I have hamburger or ground turkey, then I will brown in a pan and drain the grease.

I always make rice in a rice cooker. You minute rice people need to get with the times, Bland Diet 547493 . You just measure in the rice, measure in the water and press the button. 30 minutes later you have excellent rice! Sticky rice or regular long grain rice, which ever kind of rice you want. It is way tastier than minute rice!

Becky, make a big batch and just keep it in the fridge. I always add a little bit of water and heat it in the microwave before giving it to the dogs. They tend to try and gulp it down, and when the rice is cold, I am afraid of it clumping together and choking them.
Renee
Renee

Number of posts : 5694

http://www.polarpug.org

Back to top Go down

Post  Pugsaunt 6/21/2011, 3:09 pm

What Renee said. I poach chicken chests and dice them up, cook short grain rice using the chicken poaching water, and serve warm. Leftovers go into the fridge and get reheated with a bit of water. If she is on a bland diet for diarrhea, I add a small blop of pumpkin. Back when she had pancreatitis, the dogtor said it was ok to give her a bit of pumpkin. Penny actually is a bit chuffed when I start adding kibble.
Pugsaunt
Pugsaunt

Number of posts : 6877

Back to top Go down

Post  smoochieface 6/21/2011, 6:49 pm

We do chicken and rice, too. Boiled chicken. And I'll do you minute rice people one better -- frozen white or brown rice from Trader Joe's. Cut a slit, microwave for 3 minutes and you're done. ashamed
smoochieface
smoochieface

Number of posts : 5123

Back to top Go down

Post  Milosmom 6/21/2011, 8:32 pm

Laughing Kendie... show-off
Milosmom
Milosmom

Number of posts : 1178

Back to top Go down

Post  MommaJones 6/21/2011, 10:58 pm

I use ground turkey and rice. My pans have this steamer (http://www.lifetimecookware.com/english/catalog/Acc_Jr_Steamer.asp) that sets on top. I brown/steam all my ground meat this way. The grease drips into the water in the bottom pan as it cooks. It's fantastic! I use regular white rice.

How's LuLu feeling today?
MommaJones
MommaJones

Number of posts : 3761

Back to top Go down

Post  Tyson&LuLu'sMom 6/21/2011, 11:22 pm

MommaJones wrote:I use ground turkey and rice. My pans have this steamer (http://www.lifetimecookware.com/english/catalog/Acc_Jr_Steamer.asp) that sets on top. I brown/steam all my ground meat this way. The grease drips into the water in the bottom pan as it cooks. It's fantastic! I use regular white rice.

How's LuLu feeling today?

She's doing really well. Thanks so much for asking!
Tyson&LuLu'sMom
Tyson&LuLu'sMom

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down