Pug Authority Forum
Welcome to the Pug Authority forum!

This is a fun, supportive community of pug owners who are dedicated to sharing our experiences regarding responsible pug ownership and learning from others.

You are currently viewing the forum as guest which does not give you the same access as members. Please click the Register button below to join our community! If you are already a member, please log-in!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Pug Authority Forum
Welcome to the Pug Authority forum!

This is a fun, supportive community of pug owners who are dedicated to sharing our experiences regarding responsible pug ownership and learning from others.

You are currently viewing the forum as guest which does not give you the same access as members. Please click the Register button below to join our community! If you are already a member, please log-in!
Pug Authority Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Pet Drug Shortages

5 posters

Go down

Pet Drug Shortages Empty Pet Drug Shortages

Post  Amanda 9/12/2011, 8:00 pm

Joanne emailed me this and asked that I share it with the group

http://www.petmd.com/blogs/thedailyvet/jcoates/2011/sept/drug_shortages_in_vet_medicine
Amanda
Amanda

Number of posts : 6990

http://www.pugauthority.com

Back to top Go down

Pet Drug Shortages Empty Thanks Amanda

Post  Miss Pugg 9/12/2011, 8:34 pm

This is interesting. I've seen a couple of folks here write about this. I'm interested very much in the shortage of heartworm medicine, I'm about out and wonder how all the shelter and foster dogs will get along without it. I believe I'm going to stretch out their doses.
Miss Pugg
Miss Pugg

Number of posts : 659

Back to top Go down

Pet Drug Shortages Empty Re: Pet Drug Shortages

Post  Brenda 9/12/2011, 8:41 pm

It's just the treatment to kill an adult infestation of heartworms that's not available (I think - didn't read the above article yet).

Your monthly prevention kills any babies, so that's how it is a prevention. For our rescues who have no more meds to kill an infestation, we are going to have to use the HW monthly prevention to kill the babies and let the adults die off on their own. They live around 16-18 months supposedly.
Brenda
Brenda

Number of posts : 2221

Back to top Go down

Post  TxAllieGrl 9/12/2011, 8:43 pm

Brenda wrote:It's just the treatment to kill an adult infestation of heartworms that's not available (I think - didn't read the above article yet).

Your monthly prevention kills any babies, so that's how it is a prevention. For our rescues who have no more meds to kill an infestation, we are going to have to use the HW monthly prevention to kill the babies and let the adults die off on their own. They live around 16-18 months supposedly.

you're right Brenda - it's the stuff to treat dogs w/ heart worms already, not the preventive like heartguard and such.

TxAllieGrl

Number of posts : 5801

Back to top Go down

Post  smoochieface 9/12/2011, 9:18 pm

TxAllieGrl wrote:
Brenda wrote:It's just the treatment to kill an adult infestation of heartworms that's not available (I think - didn't read the above article yet).

you're right Brenda - it's the stuff to treat dogs w/ heart worms already, not the preventive like heartguard and such.

Yes, I asked my vet's office about it during one of our last visits and they told us the same thing.
smoochieface
smoochieface

Number of posts : 5123

Back to top Go down

Pet Drug Shortages Empty Heartworm

Post  Miss Pugg 9/12/2011, 11:32 pm

Whew, I'm safe then. Mine are on Heartguard all year around and Jasmine was put on Revolution about 4 months ago. I once rescued a ten year old Pug who was found to have heartworm, ended up taking her to the University of Illinois for treatment (no local vets would touch it then, many years ago) and Phoebe did very well, lived with me until she was 16. She was such a sweet old girl, had produced so many puppies until I got her and had her spayed.
Miss Pugg
Miss Pugg

Number of posts : 659

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum