Pug Authority Forum
Welcome to the Pug Authority forum!

This is a fun, supportive community of pug owners who are dedicated to sharing our experiences regarding responsible pug ownership and learning from others.

You are currently viewing the forum as guest which does not give you the same access as members. Please click the Register button below to join our community! If you are already a member, please log-in!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Pug Authority Forum
Welcome to the Pug Authority forum!

This is a fun, supportive community of pug owners who are dedicated to sharing our experiences regarding responsible pug ownership and learning from others.

You are currently viewing the forum as guest which does not give you the same access as members. Please click the Register button below to join our community! If you are already a member, please log-in!
Pug Authority Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Treatment for dry, crusty nose on a pug

+11
Maryjo
smoochieface
thminis
ocnside
SacramentoPugs
Not Afraid
Old Mother Hubbard
PugLady3
MackandMattiesMom
Aussie Witch
Renee
15 posters

Go down

Treatment for dry, crusty nose on a pug Empty Treatment for dry, crusty nose on a pug

Post  Renee 2/4/2012, 3:50 am

Just wondering if anyone has a suggestion for the best treatment for my Skeeter's dry, crusty nose? His nose always seems like it is dry and crusty. It has been worse lately.

He is my pug with allergies to grains, so I suspect any exposure could have an effect on it, but his nose looks painfully dry.
Renee
Renee

Number of posts : 5694

http://www.polarpug.org

Back to top Go down

Treatment for dry, crusty nose on a pug Empty Re: Treatment for dry, crusty nose on a pug

Post  Aussie Witch 2/4/2012, 5:39 am

I've always used a lip balm on my girl's noses if they get a little dry.
Aussie Witch
Aussie Witch

Number of posts : 8556

Back to top Go down

Treatment for dry, crusty nose on a pug Empty Re: Treatment for dry, crusty nose on a pug

Post  MackandMattiesMom 2/4/2012, 5:40 am

I have a friend on FB that makes all natural lotion bars. They are wonderful! I was having a problem with Mack's nose and started using her green tea/cucumber bar on his nose and it's nice and soft now. Her name is Maryruth Monahan if you want to look her up. She also has a store on there, Cool Canine Clothing and her Etsy page is http://www.etsy.com/shop/CoolCanineClothing?ref=top_trail
MackandMattiesMom
MackandMattiesMom

Number of posts : 2609

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest 2/4/2012, 8:48 am

I use a product called Natural Dog Snout Soother, I have another one but Viv loves the taste of it and licks it off!

Back to top Go down

Post  PugLady3 2/4/2012, 9:10 am

I use either Neosporin or this on our pug's noses: http://theblissfuldog.com/products-page/pug-nose-butter/ . Depends on what I have handy.
PugLady3
PugLady3

Number of posts : 2562

http://www.northernillinoispugrescue.org

Back to top Go down

Post  Old Mother Hubbard 2/4/2012, 9:58 am

We use Snout Soother here. Get it from Amazon
Old Mother Hubbard
Old Mother Hubbard

Number of posts : 257

Back to top Go down

Post  Not Afraid 2/4/2012, 9:03 pm

Kimchi had a dry and crusty nose when she first came to me. Her first vet recommended Kerasal (or the generic brand). It worked like a charm on her nose.
Not Afraid
Not Afraid

Number of posts : 5095

Back to top Go down

Post  SacramentoPugs 2/6/2012, 1:51 pm

I use the same fragrance-free/dye-free lotion I put on myself for Marlee's nose. A few days of lotion and that yucky crust at the top can be rubbed right off with a paper towel. I've also used Neosporin when I've had it handy. Same result.
SacramentoPugs
SacramentoPugs

Number of posts : 1428

Back to top Go down

Post  Renee 2/6/2012, 1:55 pm

Thanks for all the suggestions everyone!!

I have been using vaseline the past few days, because I never did get out of the darn house, lol. So far, so good. The crusty ridge across the top has peeled away, and his nose looks much better.

I do want to try some of the other products you all have suggested. I think it is good to have on hand. I am going to look for that snout soother at the pet supply store.
Renee
Renee

Number of posts : 5694

http://www.polarpug.org

Back to top Go down

Post  ocnside 2/6/2012, 2:13 pm

A & D Ointment...its in the baby section of any drug store!
ocnside
ocnside

Number of posts : 718

Back to top Go down

Post  thminis 2/6/2012, 2:17 pm

I use this Pug Nose Butter on Etsy but Reggie absolutely hates it (more than eye or ear medicine). I'm thinking of switching to something else, but it may be he just doesn't like his nose touched.
thminis
thminis

Number of posts : 1139

Back to top Go down

Post  smoochieface 2/6/2012, 4:03 pm

Do you have Bag Balm? If not, I think MJ's company sells it and it's cheap. Works wonders for stuff like dry noses, cracked hands, etc. Originally developed to soothe chaffed cow udders.
smoochieface
smoochieface

Number of posts : 5123

Back to top Go down

Post  Maryjo 2/6/2012, 5:23 pm

smoochieface wrote:Do you have Bag Balm? If not, I think MJ's company sells it and it's cheap. Works wonders for stuff like dry noses, cracked hands, etc. Originally developed to soothe chaffed cow udders.
Yup... we sell it by the ton! The Slope uses it a lot. It really helps their workers' dry, chapped hands that they get working in 40 below temps.

We also sell it to Walmart, so you can find it there. It might be near the pharmacy section.

I put something like that on my pugs' noses. Then after a few days I take a washcloth, wet it with lukewarm water, and rub the pugs nose, it takes the crusties right off. (To me, it works better with a washcloth than a paper towel).
Maryjo
Maryjo

Number of posts : 4954

http://www.maryjoalaska.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Nan and BAGS 2/9/2012, 2:10 pm

Aine is having the crusties too!

Put the bag palm - she didnt like it.

So you are saying - hot washcloth and that be it? will give that a try!

PS - she has one WHITE wisker!
Nan and BAGS
Nan and BAGS

Number of posts : 869

http://http:/nanandbags.typepad.com

Back to top Go down

Post  TNPUGMOMOF3 2/9/2012, 5:53 pm

I have used lip balm, Carmex Vit D Oil, baby oil.... But yes, after you soften up the crusties, it should all wipe off with a warm wash cloth.
TNPUGMOMOF3
TNPUGMOMOF3

Number of posts : 1982

Back to top Go down

Treatment for dry, crusty nose on a pug Empty Crusty nose treatment

Post  Hammy 3/2/2012, 4:16 pm

Hi,
I too have had problems with crusty pug noses. I have two pugs and one seemed to have a more severe problem than the other. I tried almost everything mentioned above but nothing really worked all that well. But a few days ago I tried using manuka honey and I have had better results that anything I have used so far. I know it may sound a little strange if one isn't familiar with the honey that New Zealand bees make from the manuka tree but after doing further research apparently people use it to treat wounds, psoriasis, fungal infections, upset stomachs, warts, and so many other things it sounds to good to be true. I can't speak for the other aliments but crusty pug nose needs to be added to the list. The honey is expensive about $20-$30 dollars a lb but if one just uses it to treat the nose crusties a jar should last a lifetime and according to some companies their honey doesn't expire. I ordered the honey from Amazon but I would imagine it could but picked up at most health food stores just make sure it is manuka honey and is bio-active rated which is amount of natural hydrogen peroxide in the honey. I used 5+ but it seems to go all the way to 16+.

For treatment I just applied a very small dab of honey on the top of the nose in the morning and left (what they weren't able to lick off) until the following morning. Wiped their noses with a soft cloth and reapplied. I was so supprized with how much has come off in just a couple days and with no bleeding which on occasion has occurred with other products. Also, I personally feel better using manuka honey since it seems honey isn't on a dog food no-no list and it isn't full of chemicals and they are ingesting it. I think manuka honey is well worth a try. It worked for me!

Hammy

Number of posts : 1

Back to top Go down

Post  Doodikins 4/4/2012, 6:00 pm

I have used both olive oil and emu oil. Both work great. Emu oil is known to be the best anti scarring solution for people but I also find that it heals a myriad of pug skin issues. My boy Henry at 12 yrs old is developing those black lesions on his inner legs (my older pug had them too). My vet is not sure what they are, but they are crusty and raised until I apply the emu oil, then the crust goes away and just a soft black mark is left on the skin. I think these are just age related like the tags they get. Henry loves a dab of olive oil on his nose after I wash his face. He lick some of it off, but some it has softened his nose too.
Doodikins
Doodikins

Number of posts : 5

http://pugmamablog.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down