Pug Authority Forum
Welcome to the Pug Authority forum!

This is a fun, supportive community of pug owners who are dedicated to sharing our experiences regarding responsible pug ownership and learning from others.

You are currently viewing the forum as guest which does not give you the same access as members. Please click the Register button below to join our community! If you are already a member, please log-in!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Pug Authority Forum
Welcome to the Pug Authority forum!

This is a fun, supportive community of pug owners who are dedicated to sharing our experiences regarding responsible pug ownership and learning from others.

You are currently viewing the forum as guest which does not give you the same access as members. Please click the Register button below to join our community! If you are already a member, please log-in!
Pug Authority Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Julian's eating

+3
Renee
Saira
ocnside
7 posters

Go down

Julian's eating Empty Julian's eating

Post  ocnside 2/27/2012, 8:49 am

I am very concerned about weight...in general and I guess it wouldn't be
so bad if Julian wasn't allergic to everything but he eats Blue
Buffalo...reluctantly as of late I might add, he just switched from Nutro and I am having to
start his meals out hand feeding him, I don't know but he used to gobble up the Nutro!

Its silly really that he has to be spoon fed and I am thinking maybe he hates Blue Buffalo but he gets canned Nutro lamb puppy still and eats it off a spoon....If he hated it I am assuming he wouldn't touch it???

Could it be the dishes...they are shallow ceramic bowls and for the wet food I use cat plates for the wet....I do not want him to go hungry so I am an enabler and feed him....ugh Julian's eating 253213
ocnside
ocnside

Number of posts : 718

Back to top Go down

Julian's eating Empty Re: Julian's eating

Post  Saira 2/27/2012, 10:40 am

They won't starve, honest. Very Happy He's basically training you! But if I'm reading it right, you are giving both wet and dry food, and it's the wet food he's eating? That's pretty common, I doubt he'll eat the dry food when he knows you'll be giving him canned! When I foster, most of my fosters won't really eat the first couple of days. I do mix some wet food into the dry if they are very picky (I did with my foster now, Sandy) but I leave it down for 15 minutes, and if they don't eat, they don't eat. But it usually only takes a couple of times with that before they do eat.
Saira
Saira

Number of posts : 8302

http://www.rescuepugs.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Renee 2/27/2012, 1:41 pm

Yep, Saira is right.

It is possible he just does not like what you are feeding him now, the BB... but, it is more likely he is holding out for what he knows he can get.

I have had numerous fosters like this. I waited out one pug for 2 weeks!! Honestly, they will not starve themselves.

If I get a picky eater, I will offer a few different things over a few days, and just wait them out. I put it down for 10 minutes, and if they don't eat, it gets picked up until the next meal.
Renee
Renee

Number of posts : 5694

http://www.polarpug.org

Back to top Go down

Post  ocnside 3/6/2012, 9:06 am

So all the research and suggestions that I have been doing/receiving, I have started "Taste of the Wild" Lamb/Sierra Mountain...all stages...we will see, I start the transition at lunch today plus its 5 stars, I even switched the cats and my lab :)

Thanks for the advice :)
ocnside
ocnside

Back to top Go down

Post  elisemarie 3/6/2012, 1:14 pm

Please let me know how the new food works out for you.

I have enough of the Puggas' old food to last a couple of weeks.

Inquiring minds would like to know !!!!! Very Happy
elisemarie
elisemarie

Number of posts : 296

Back to top Go down

Post  ocnside 3/6/2012, 1:45 pm

Oh goodness, he looooved it...I have been hand feeding him and spoon feeding him as of late bc he wouldn't eat Blue Buffalo...I am thrilled he loved Taste of the Wild Sierra Mountain/lamb YAY :):):)

PS He ate it all by himself :)
ocnside
ocnside

Back to top Go down

Post  thminis 3/6/2012, 7:10 pm

My vets aren't a fan of Blue Buffalo because it's pretty high in calories, and I don't think it has any research behind it. Almost impressively, the company markets based on the story of why the food was produced, rather than facts.

I don't doubt that it's a good food. Just one of my vet's opinion.

I'm glad Julian is doing well on Taste of Wild!

thminis
thminis

Number of posts : 1139

Back to top Go down

Post  Renee 3/6/2012, 7:13 pm

thminis wrote:My vets aren't a fan of Blue Buffalo because it's pretty high in calories, and I don't think it has any research behind it. Almost impressively, the company markets based on the story of why the food was produced, rather than facts.

I don't doubt that it's a good food. Just one of my vet's opinion.

I'm glad Julian is doing well on Taste of Wild!

Gah, the marketing for Blue Buffalo kills me!!!! Lifesource Bits? Really??? What are those? And, of course, when my daughter saw the commercial, she ran off to do the True Blue Test. Blue Buffalo only allows you to compare their food to the lowest of the low... pedigree, purina, alpo, etc.
Renee
Renee

Number of posts : 5694

http://www.polarpug.org

Back to top Go down

Post  GingerSnap 3/6/2012, 7:46 pm

I got Taste of the Wild for my fosters and ended up trying it with Jax and Sam because I (mistakenly) thought I ran out of their Honest Kitchen. It turns out that I do, in fact, still have half a box of THK left, but I've noticed a significant decrease in poop production with TOTW, so I may stick with it. All four of them seem to like it a lot, plus it's available locally at our new Tractor Supply Co. Julian's eating 977583
GingerSnap
GingerSnap

Number of posts : 3547

Back to top Go down

Post  Pugsaunt 3/7/2012, 8:49 pm

Penny does very well on TOW, but apparently the distributor has had problems getting it here in my neck of the woods. Has anyone else had problems finding TOW?
Pugsaunt
Pugsaunt

Number of posts : 6877

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down