Pug Authority Forum
Welcome to the Pug Authority forum!

This is a fun, supportive community of pug owners who are dedicated to sharing our experiences regarding responsible pug ownership and learning from others.

You are currently viewing the forum as guest which does not give you the same access as members. Please click the Register button below to join our community! If you are already a member, please log-in!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Pug Authority Forum
Welcome to the Pug Authority forum!

This is a fun, supportive community of pug owners who are dedicated to sharing our experiences regarding responsible pug ownership and learning from others.

You are currently viewing the forum as guest which does not give you the same access as members. Please click the Register button below to join our community! If you are already a member, please log-in!
Pug Authority Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Anemia and not eating.

5 posters

Go down

Anemia and not eating. Empty Anemia and not eating.

Post  Old Mother Hubbard 1/31/2013, 9:51 am

At the vet all week with Wellie. Stopped eating over the weekend. Xrays ultra sound urine and blood and nothing comes up just waiting on a test for Addisons to come back tomorrow. Vet thinks might have had an internal bleed but no symptoms. He didnt eat for 4 days but was well hydrated , last night ate some ID canned food but this morning nothing. Have tried everything, baby food the works. At my wits end . Any ideas???
Old Mother Hubbard
Old Mother Hubbard

Number of posts : 257

Back to top Go down

Anemia and not eating. Empty Re: Anemia and not eating.

Post  Pugsaunt 1/31/2013, 8:47 pm

It really is scary when a pug won't eat! If she won't eat anything else, Penny will inhale poached chicken chest and white rice. I gradually add kibble in and decrease the chicken and rice until she's back on her usual food. Good thoughts coming your way for Wellie!
Pugsaunt
Pugsaunt

Number of posts : 6877

Back to top Go down

Post  lisamak 2/1/2013, 10:04 am

I hope things are looking a little better. I have no experience with anemia (everything but that LOL). For tempt to eat I usually use Weruva Paw Lickin' Chicken - its just a can of shredded chicken and gravy. If you can drain the gravy out and get him to drink it its usually enough to reduce the acidity (in an empty tummy) and kind of "prime the pump". If you're hydrating at home with sub-q's ask the vet to give you a bag of Mountain Dew style (lactated ringers + b vitamins...it turns the liquid that bright yellow-green of Mountain Dew). The B vitamins act as an appetite stimulant and help with energy level. Also cipro (an old human antihistamine, still available at most big chain pharmacies with a scrip...not the cipro that you use when you're worried about white powder in the mail) is an appetite stimulant I've used in the past.

If you have an earthy-crunchy pet shop nearby look for Honest Kitchen's Ice Pups. Its a grain-free powder of dehydrated chicken, turkey and some veg that you add warm water to and make into a broth (it will be consistency of water but with lots of aroma and flavor). It was originally used in ice cube trays to add to water on hot days to encourage cats/dogs to drink more...but more folks use it as a healthy broth (basically Jewish chicken soup for cats + dogs) and will also settle the belly and prime the pump. I use it every day for my older dogs in a little miso soup bowl and call it dog beer...nobody has ever turned their nose up at it (I use it at events all the time). HK is actually changing the name from Ice Pups to something else, they haven't decided just yet.

Good luck :)
lisamak
lisamak

Number of posts : 160

http://www.mydogcatering.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Renee 2/1/2013, 2:02 pm

lisamak wrote:
If you have an earthy-crunchy pet shop nearby look for Honest Kitchen's Ice Pups. Its a grain-free powder of dehydrated chicken, turkey and some veg that you add warm water to and make into a broth (it will be consistency of water but with lots of aroma and flavor). It was originally used in ice cube trays to add to water on hot days to encourage cats/dogs to drink more...but more folks use it as a healthy broth (basically Jewish chicken soup for cats + dogs) and will also settle the belly and prime the pump. I use it every day for my older dogs in a little miso soup bowl and call it dog beer...nobody has ever turned their nose up at it (I use it at events all the time). HK is actually changing the name from Ice Pups to something else, they haven't decided just yet.

Good luck :)

My pugs LOVE Ice Pups. But, we use it as a broth too, not ice cubes.
Renee
Renee

Number of posts : 5694

http://www.polarpug.org

Back to top Go down

Post  Old Mother Hubbard 2/1/2013, 10:31 pm

Paw lickin chicken was a success. Thank you. My vet and I decided to chalk this up as one of life's mysterys . My stress level us now going down and my vet bill went sky high!!
Old Mother Hubbard
Old Mother Hubbard

Number of posts : 257

Back to top Go down

Post  Aussie Witch 2/3/2013, 4:06 am

Sorry you and Wellie are going through this Sue! I'm glad he seems to have gotten over it and I certainly hope it remains a one-off mystery.
Aussie Witch
Aussie Witch

Number of posts : 8556

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down