Pug Authority Forum
Welcome to the Pug Authority forum!

This is a fun, supportive community of pug owners who are dedicated to sharing our experiences regarding responsible pug ownership and learning from others.

You are currently viewing the forum as guest which does not give you the same access as members. Please click the Register button below to join our community! If you are already a member, please log-in!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Pug Authority Forum
Welcome to the Pug Authority forum!

This is a fun, supportive community of pug owners who are dedicated to sharing our experiences regarding responsible pug ownership and learning from others.

You are currently viewing the forum as guest which does not give you the same access as members. Please click the Register button below to join our community! If you are already a member, please log-in!
Pug Authority Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hemolytic Anemia

+4
akc0104
Amber
Not Afraid
northernwitch
8 posters

Go down

Hemolytic Anemia Empty Hemolytic Anemia

Post  northernwitch 8/9/2009, 9:12 pm

I have a terrible memory, but I think someone on here had a dog with hemolytic anemia. If so, I would like to email you and ask about it. Tank is having some anemia issues--so far nothing serious, but blood work over the last 4 months showing a consistent mild anemia with some off normal liver enzyme results as well. One of the things that was suggested as a possibility was hemolytic anemia--but only as a possible since he's not showing any other symptoms.
northernwitch
northernwitch

Number of posts : 11031

http://www.pugalug.com

Back to top Go down

Hemolytic Anemia Empty Re: Hemolytic Anemia

Post  Not Afraid 8/9/2009, 9:24 pm

Gretchen's Sister's dog passed away from Immune-Mediated Hemolytic Anemia and one of my clients, a pug named Maggie, had it about 7 months ago. From what I hace experienced with Maggie, it is sudden, serious and progresses VERY quickly.
Not Afraid
Not Afraid

Number of posts : 5095

Back to top Go down

Post  northernwitch 8/9/2009, 9:34 pm

From my reading, it can be acute and fatal, but can also be milder and managed--but not sure for how long. My concern is that Tank has a long history of immune suppression due to the prednisone he was on for years and he is hypothyroid which can create an increased risk for IMHA/AIHA. At least according to the Merck's Manual.

I'm meeting with my vet next week to go over his blood results and talk about what, if anything, I might be doing.
northernwitch
northernwitch

Back to top Go down

Post  Amber 8/9/2009, 10:17 pm

Keeping my fingers crossed that whatever is going on with Tank is easily treatable Hug
Amber
Amber

Number of posts : 2080

http://www.lotusblossomphotography.com

Back to top Go down

Post  akc0104 8/9/2009, 10:24 pm

I've had 3 Cocker Spaniels with AIHA. The most recent was Schuyler who passed away a year ago. She lived with it for 9 months, but died due to unrelated seizures 1 month short of her 13th birthday.

Scooter was around 9 and was unable to recover. I don't remember how old Murphy was when diagnosed - but she lived many, many years afterwards.

I don't know if I can help, but ask away. Very Happy
akc0104
akc0104

Number of posts : 1742

Back to top Go down

Post  akc0104 8/9/2009, 10:24 pm

Duplicate. Drinking
akc0104
akc0104

Back to top Go down

Post  northernwitch 8/9/2009, 10:30 pm

Lisa:
I know that cockers are one of the breeds that are prone to it. And I'm probably really over reacting, but the blood results sort came out of nowhere in May and I fully expected improvement with Friday's blood work, but not so. And Tank is already medically complicated so I'm just researching everything I can to see if there are things I should be doing.
One of the standard treatments is prednisone, but Tank has been on pred for years and I've finally weaned him down to a minimum dose on an as needed basis so I'm wondering if what I'm seeing are things that were hidden by the pred previously.
Thanks for the offer. If it turns out that we are dealing with something like IMHA/AIHA, I'll certainly be in touch.
northernwitch
northernwitch

Back to top Go down

Post  Not Afraid 8/9/2009, 10:44 pm

Of course, one of the treatments for IMHA is steroids, usu. Prednisone. At least that was what Maggie was on. She also had a sudden and very bad case of it. She showed signs of lethargy and within 2 days was collapsing and required a blood transfusion.
Not Afraid
Not Afraid

Number of posts : 5095

Back to top Go down

Post  akc0104 8/9/2009, 10:59 pm

northernwitch wrote:Lisa:
I know that cockers are one of the breeds that are prone to it. And I'm probably really over reacting, but the blood results sort came out of nowhere in May and I fully expected improvement with Friday's blood work, but not so. And Tank is already medically complicated so I'm just researching everything I can to see if there are things I should be doing.

What kind of numbers have you gotten?

I know years ago with Murphy (early 80s) they had her on iron drops and vitamins, but Schuyler was not on them and all the research I did didn't indicate that diet would help. Schuyler was on another med too in addition to prednisone- I'll have to look it up. And with Schuyler, they had the "normal" blood count range and there was where we'd be happy for her to be - and it was lower than normal. But at the time, my vet said she has patients that were living for years with this.
akc0104
akc0104

Back to top Go down

Post  Aussie Witch 8/10/2009, 6:02 am

No advice, just lots of support. hug dog
Aussie Witch
Aussie Witch

Number of posts : 8556

Back to top Go down

Post  northernwitch 8/10/2009, 4:54 pm

None of his stuff is widely off range--just off and since he is hypothyroid, he has an increased risk of hemolytic anemia. We're also seeing liver enzymes that are off. He's not clinical in any way and he's already on Prednisone for other issues--not alot, but some.
I'm just gathering info so that I'll have myself ready in case it is IMHA/AIHA. We're not there yet and may never get there, but he is at some risk for it so I want to be informed.
northernwitch
northernwitch

Back to top Go down

Post  Norton's Mom 8/16/2009, 11:27 pm

northernwitch wrote:I have a terrible memory, but I think someone on here had a dog with hemolytic anemia. If so, I would like to email you and ask about it. Tank is having some anemia issues--so far nothing serious, but blood work over the last 4 months showing a consistent mild anemia with some off normal liver enzyme results as well. One of the things that was suggested as a possibility was hemolytic anemia--but only as a possible since he's not showing any other symptoms.

Blanche- that was my sister Vicki. Her pug had Hemolytic Anemia and passed away when she was 2 /12/. She is Isabella's Mom on here. You can also email her at rvbalboa AT AOL Dot COM
Norton's Mom
Norton's Mom

Number of posts : 510

http://www.snaphappygirl.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Eph91 8/17/2009, 3:48 pm

Amber wrote:Keeping my fingers crossed that whatever is going on with Tank is easily treatable Hug

Same here! hug dog
Eph91
Eph91

Number of posts : 2839

Back to top Go down

Post  lindarpugma 8/18/2009, 1:32 pm

I lost a Silky Terrier to hemolytic anemia but hers was rapid onset and she died in about 4 days. She was really sick - diahrea and vomiting and her gums, eyes and mouth turned really yellow because of the damage to her liver. I wasn't aware of a manageable type.
lindarpugma
lindarpugma

Number of posts : 593

Back to top Go down

Post  northernwitch 8/18/2009, 1:58 pm

lindarpugma wrote:I lost a Silky Terrier to hemolytic anemia but hers was rapid onset and she died in about 4 days. She was really sick - diahrea and vomiting and her gums, eyes and mouth turned really yellow because of the damage to her liver. I wasn't aware of a manageable type.
My understanding is that the most common is the severe onset, but it appears that there can be a milder or a slower onset form--it can't be cured, but seems to be managed, but only for a time.
We're still not sure what the hell is going on with Tank--gums and conjunctiva look good, no yellowing anywhere, appetite still good and not diarrhea. He has begun to lose some hair along his sides so I'm not sure if his thyroid is out of whack or if it's a stress reaction to having Jem here.
northernwitch
northernwitch

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down