Pug Authority Forum
Welcome to the Pug Authority forum!

This is a fun, supportive community of pug owners who are dedicated to sharing our experiences regarding responsible pug ownership and learning from others.

You are currently viewing the forum as guest which does not give you the same access as members. Please click the Register button below to join our community! If you are already a member, please log-in!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Pug Authority Forum
Welcome to the Pug Authority forum!

This is a fun, supportive community of pug owners who are dedicated to sharing our experiences regarding responsible pug ownership and learning from others.

You are currently viewing the forum as guest which does not give you the same access as members. Please click the Register button below to join our community! If you are already a member, please log-in!
Pug Authority Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Dog Diapers

+5
Miss Pugg
GingerSnap
Renee
Rebecca and the Pugs
Donandpug
9 posters

Go down

Dog Diapers Empty Dog Diapers

Post  Donandpug 7/6/2012, 6:52 pm

As many of you know, HRH Olive has had a rough patch. Medication combined with seizures have really taken a toll. One thing is that she is basically refusing to go outside to potty. She was 100% housebroken when adopted, but the possible dementia and personality changes with the seizures/medication changed all that. We are working on it, with a 50% success rate today. Another issue is she has become a poop-eater.

But to alleviate my anxiety and save my floors, have any of you ever used diapers on for both bowel and bladder incontinence?

Any suggestions??

I hope this is a temporary issue with her that may improve with the change in medication and some retraining.

Donandpug
Donandpug

Number of posts : 89

http://donaldopato.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Dog Diapers Empty Re: Dog Diapers

Post  Rebecca and the Pugs 7/6/2012, 7:19 pm

Don, I thought I remembered reading that a couple of people have been using Pee Keepers on their pugs. Maybe Kim? http://www.peekeeper.com/

I have bought doggie diapers at Petco/Petsmart and in a pinch, took baby diapers and cut a hole for the tail. I know Roxane used to use mitten clips to attach the diaper to a harness on one of the foster pugs. The Pee Keeper looks like it would stay on much better.
Rebecca and the Pugs
Rebecca and the Pugs

Number of posts : 2936

Back to top Go down

Post  Renee 7/6/2012, 8:21 pm

I believe it is Kim and Brenda both that have peekeepers for their pugs. It is only for pee though.

Good luck Don. We are all thinking of you and Olive.
Renee
Renee

Number of posts : 5694

http://www.polarpug.org

Back to top Go down

Post  GingerSnap 7/6/2012, 8:24 pm

When I first got my foster Mary, I tried a diaper on her, but found a couple of problems: 1) When she pooped in it, it made a huge mess. I'd have poop all in her fur, plus things would fall out the leg openings, etc. Then I'd have a mess on my floor, and a pug in need of a bath. Rolling Eyes 2) Fit. Because of her scrawny back end due to her spinal issues, anything non-stretchy just slid right off the back, then adding to the whole mess thing above. I did find one that more of a Lycra-based material that I could get to stay on, but I still had the mess issues. (Admittedly, a more normally proportioned pug might not have the fit challenges that I did.)

I still want to try the Peekeeper. Although meds have helped to strengthen her bladder, and she's no longer truly incontinent, she simply can't hold it long enough to make it through the night or a half day at work. It's less critical now that I've replaced my floors, but I still think a Peekeeper would help.

I'll note that Mary is also a member of the International Turd Tasters Society, although for her it's more of an intermittent hobby than a life's ambition. I've come to grips with the fact that it's gross, but not the end of the world if I"m not there to stop it.
GingerSnap
GingerSnap

Number of posts : 3547

Back to top Go down

Dog Diapers Empty Diapers

Post  Miss Pugg 7/6/2012, 8:52 pm

Go to http://www.doggieessentials.com and see what Linda Gerdes offers. She donates proceeds to dog rescues and also doggy diapers to them. Be sure to mention Joanne (Miss Pugg) sent you - not that that makes much difference. She's an owner of Pug rescues and I have heard great things about her products. I first knew her many years ago, then lost track of her when I needed these for Jasmine. I found her again on Facebook this week and she is helping me figure out some problems with one of my dogs. She is very helpful and is inching into holistic treatment. I am going to try some of her recommendations for aggression, crystals, dog food and a couple of other things. Good luck!
Miss Pugg
Miss Pugg

Number of posts : 659

Back to top Go down

Post  Imon 7/6/2012, 9:25 pm

They didn't make doggie diapers when I needed them with my Kerry Blue, so I bought toddler-sized Huggies, cut a hole for her tail and used them. They had the sides you taped shut, so I could adjust the fit for her. I used them mostly when she was in heat (until she was spayed) and only took them off to walk her outside. Very carefully and vigilantly!

It worked for that situation. Good luck with HRH - it's so difficult to not know exactly what to do to help them.
Imon
Imon

Number of posts : 1898

Back to top Go down

Post  PugMomto3 7/7/2012, 7:52 am

I used diapers for Pugsley in his last two years, for both. He was suffering from doggie dementia. Initially I was purchasing the doggie diapers but it really became very expensive. So I then used one as a template for regulate toddler diapers. The ones that worked the best for me were Targets own brand, Huggies and the CVS brand. They were easy to cut the hole for the tail and held the pee and poop the best. I used regular unscented baby wipes to keep him clean. Baby wash too for extra messy poops.
Linda Gerdes makes some awesome products as well, I have her belly bands, I just needed to use disposables because he was going so much more than I could keep up with the laundry. Good luck!
PugMomto3
PugMomto3

Number of posts : 543

Back to top Go down

Post  PugLady3 7/7/2012, 9:23 pm

Miss Pugg wrote:Go to http://www.doggieessentials.com and see what Linda Gerdes offers. She donates proceeds to dog rescues and also doggy diapers to them.

Linda made the custom suspender diapers that I needed for Pugsy when her back end failed her and she could no longer hold her bladder. It was a bit messy when she pooped but those diapers were a life saver in the pee dept.
PugLady3
PugLady3

Number of posts : 2562

http://www.northernillinoispugrescue.org

Back to top Go down

Dog Diapers Empty Suspender Outfit

Post  Miss Pugg 7/8/2012, 7:25 am

Donandpug wrote:As many of you know, HRH Olive has had a rough patch. Medication combined with seizures have really taken a toll. One thing is that she is basically refusing to go outside to potty. She was 100% housebroken when adopted, but the possible dementia and personality changes with the seizures/medication changed all that. We are working on it, with a 50% success rate today. Another issue is she has become a poop-eater.

But to alleviate my anxiety and save my floors, have any of you ever used diapers on for both bowel and bladder incontinence?

Any suggestions??

I hope this is a temporary issue with her that may improve with the change in medication and some retraining.

http://www.doggieessentials.com carries suspender outfits that allow one to put a baby diaper inside. The diaper is kept in place so the potty issues at both ends are managed. This group is listed at the Bulldog spina bifida community website because the outfits work. They are comfortable to wear because they are made of stretch knits and they are affordable. You could start with 1 and order more. They are custom fitted as a measuring chart could be EMailed to you. As for sr. dementia there is a supplement that deals with plague in the brain as it also benefits the liver. It is called Jarrows Formula Mega PC-35. I think Vita Cost still sells it otherwise quality health food stores may on request bring it into their store.
Miss Pugg
Miss Pugg

Number of posts : 659

Back to top Go down

Post  Brenda 7/8/2012, 6:05 pm

yes I have the peekeeper for Dewey and it works wonderful. But, as said it won't work for poop. Kim uses it for her female, not sure how it's working for her. For males it works perfect, for females I would think you'd have to get a pretty good fit.
Brenda
Brenda

Number of posts : 2221

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down