Pug Authority Forum
Welcome to the Pug Authority forum!

This is a fun, supportive community of pug owners who are dedicated to sharing our experiences regarding responsible pug ownership and learning from others.

You are currently viewing the forum as guest which does not give you the same access as members. Please click the Register button below to join our community! If you are already a member, please log-in!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Pug Authority Forum
Welcome to the Pug Authority forum!

This is a fun, supportive community of pug owners who are dedicated to sharing our experiences regarding responsible pug ownership and learning from others.

You are currently viewing the forum as guest which does not give you the same access as members. Please click the Register button below to join our community! If you are already a member, please log-in!
Pug Authority Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Puppy Enucleation.

5 posters

Go down

Puppy Enucleation. Empty Puppy Enucleation.

Post  mwalter1 6/5/2013, 11:14 pm

Hey everybody, I am new to this site. I recently purchased my first pug of my own. We had a pug growing up but this is the first dog I have gotten for myself. About a week after purchasing her, I noticed her itching more than normal when I took her out during the night. The next morning her face began to swell. I took her to the vets office immediately. He suspected an allergic reaction. He told me he was going to keep her to monitor and would give me a call later that afternoon. That afternoon he called and said he had given her a steroid shot to reduce the swelling, stained her left eye (which was the only eye swollen shut), and cleaned her ears. He told me to just let the reaction run its course; there was nothing out of the unusual. The next day, I was unhappy with the way it was healing, so I called the emergency vet who told me all sounded normal (even though her face was still swollen almost a day after being given the steroid shot). Two days later, I was still unhappy with her healing (her eye was still swollen and begun to ooze) so I scheduled her an appointment with a new vet ASAP. She told me that my poor little baby's eye had ruptured and would have to be removed. I'm wondering if any of you have dealt with this before. She was only 9 weeks old when her eye had to be removed. I know she will live a normal life, but I can't help but think the original vet could have saved her eye if he had properly done his job. (When we confronted him about the eye, he admitted the eye was so swollen, he could hardly see anything; later we picked up her chart, and no where on it does it say he stained her eye). I have never heard of this happening in a dog so young. I still have no idea what could have caused her eye to rupture. Do any of you have any advice or have any of you dealt with this in the past?

mwalter1

Number of posts : 3

Back to top Go down

Puppy Enucleation. Empty Re: Puppy Enucleation.

Post  Pugsaunt 6/6/2013, 6:04 pm

No advice, just a ton of sympathy for you and your baby (what is her name?). Winker pugs do very well, as many of us can testify.
Pugsaunt
Pugsaunt

Number of posts : 6877

Back to top Go down

Post  mwalter1 6/10/2013, 6:57 am

Thank you for the kind words. Her name is Lilly and she is feisty as ever! We get to take the cone off tomorrow and I'm sure she will be much happier then!

mwalter1

Number of posts : 3

Back to top Go down

Post  Imon 6/10/2013, 9:32 am

They do hate those cones, don't they! I hope she's feeling much better now! Hugs to Lilly!Puppy Enucleation. 335895
Imon
Imon

Number of posts : 1898

Back to top Go down

Post  Brenda 6/10/2013, 10:58 am

She will do well with only one eye, but yes I think the first vet may have been able to do more. You will have to be more diligent with her remaining eye and making sure nothing happens to it so she doesn't lose vision in that one. How sad for a little baby, but she won't really know any difference.
Brenda
Brenda

Number of posts : 2221

Back to top Go down

Post  pugmom 6/11/2013, 4:49 pm

I am so very sorry for what you had to go through with your little Lilly. Happy to read that she will be fine. And yes, Lilly will never know the difference. She will give y ou loads of fun watching her grow up and watching all the funny things pugs do.

Welcome to PA.Puppy Enucleation. 469773
pugmom
pugmom

Number of posts : 956

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down