Pug Authority Forum
Welcome to the Pug Authority forum!

This is a fun, supportive community of pug owners who are dedicated to sharing our experiences regarding responsible pug ownership and learning from others.

You are currently viewing the forum as guest which does not give you the same access as members. Please click the Register button below to join our community! If you are already a member, please log-in!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Pug Authority Forum
Welcome to the Pug Authority forum!

This is a fun, supportive community of pug owners who are dedicated to sharing our experiences regarding responsible pug ownership and learning from others.

You are currently viewing the forum as guest which does not give you the same access as members. Please click the Register button below to join our community! If you are already a member, please log-in!
Pug Authority Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Puppy nails

2 posters

Go down

Puppy nails Empty Puppy nails

Post  MackandMattiesMom 9/21/2009, 1:19 pm

Sue-Shi is 8 weeks old. I clipped her nails the other day and want to go a little shorter. Her nails are dark, so I can't see the quick. Do puppies have a quick this young? I don't want to go too short and cut it, but I'd like to start her off right so she doesn't end up with long nails. She slept through her first nail trim and I've been rubbing her paws when she's awake so she'll be used to me messing with her feet. I don't want her to be like Mack & Mattie and be a holy terror at nail time.
MackandMattiesMom
MackandMattiesMom

Number of posts : 2609

Back to top Go down

Puppy nails Empty Re: Puppy nails

Post  BDazzpugs 9/21/2009, 2:15 pm

Starting at 6 weeks, I never clip nails. Get her used to the dremel now, while she is young. And Yes, she has quicks. I keep my puppies nails short from a week on so the quicks never get a chance to get long.
BDazzpugs
BDazzpugs

Number of posts : 1286

Back to top Go down

Post  MackandMattiesMom 9/21/2009, 2:45 pm

Thanks, Sarina. I'm sure this was the first nail clipping she has had. I'll get her started on the dremel. Do you just do it once a week?
MackandMattiesMom
MackandMattiesMom

Number of posts : 2609

Back to top Go down

Post  BDazzpugs 9/21/2009, 2:51 pm

Usually a couple of times a week to start off with, that way they get used to it as they get older. It also keeps the quicks from growing as well. Make sure you reward her through the process, even if she is not fighting you.
BDazzpugs
BDazzpugs

Number of posts : 1286

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down