Pug Authority Forum
Welcome to the Pug Authority forum!

This is a fun, supportive community of pug owners who are dedicated to sharing our experiences regarding responsible pug ownership and learning from others.

You are currently viewing the forum as guest which does not give you the same access as members. Please click the Register button below to join our community! If you are already a member, please log-in!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Pug Authority Forum
Welcome to the Pug Authority forum!

This is a fun, supportive community of pug owners who are dedicated to sharing our experiences regarding responsible pug ownership and learning from others.

You are currently viewing the forum as guest which does not give you the same access as members. Please click the Register button below to join our community! If you are already a member, please log-in!
Pug Authority Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Stupid pug nails

+4
Aussie Witch
Renee
Milosmom
Saira
8 posters

Go down

Stupid pug nails Empty Stupid pug nails

Post  Saira 8/14/2011, 9:33 pm

I wish there was a way to make them not grow. This is more of a whine, lol...but, you all know that Hooligan is the worst pug in the world with nails. It takes 3 vet techs to restrain him, and even then, you can barely clip them. Well now with all his back issues, we can't even attempt to do it, because he will buck and thrash like a wild horse, so his nails are even worse than the normal atrocious levels. And he's on crate rest so I can't even take him on a walk to try and get them down a bit (plus it's too hot). I feel like a horrible pug mom but there's nothing I can do about them right now.
Saira
Saira

Number of posts : 8302

http://www.rescuepugs.com

Back to top Go down

Stupid pug nails Empty Re: Stupid pug nails

Post  Milosmom 8/14/2011, 11:17 pm

Whine away, I feel your pain. :(

Mickeys are getting pretty scary to but he doesn't do well either (I don't think the prior "person" did a very good job to begin with but that's irrelevant) and with him being HW+ , we go the distance for him to not get hyper/excited/stressed because he coughs so bad.

I do a little at a time when he's on my lap with a nail file but that doesn't accomplish much at all and it'll probably be Oct before we can really begin to work on them by restraint. Not something either of us are looking forward to I'm afraid. Stupid pug nails 9386
Milosmom
Milosmom

Number of posts : 1178

Back to top Go down

Post  Renee 8/15/2011, 12:16 am

Saira, would you think about light sedation? Something to make him a little relaxed and loopy?
Renee
Renee

Number of posts : 5694

http://www.polarpug.org

Back to top Go down

Post  Aussie Witch 8/15/2011, 12:34 am

Man oh man, what is it with Pugs and their nails? Full disclosure coming up - I clipped Imi's for the FIRST time in all the years she's been with me, a few weeks ago. I always knew she was the perfect Pug. Not a wriggle, not a squeal, nuttin'. She let me at 'em with no probs. And then Miss Pearl - DITTO!! Out of all the eight Pugs I've had, these are the first ones I've able to do without sounding like I'm slaughtering pigs! Imi and Pearl's nails are usually kept short with our walks, but I think with the wet weather we were having we had a growth spurt and not enough walks on concrete.

But I do feel your pain Saira.
Aussie Witch
Aussie Witch

Number of posts : 8556

Back to top Go down

Post  Mel 8/15/2011, 2:48 am

Renee wrote:Saira, would you think about light sedation? Something to make him a little relaxed and loopy?

I was thinking the same thing. Natures remedy?
Mel
Mel

Number of posts : 3270

Back to top Go down

Post  Saira 8/15/2011, 10:38 am

Renee wrote:Saira, would you think about light sedation? Something to make him a little relaxed and loopy?

Mel wrote:

I was thinking the same thing. Natures remedy?

All those "natural" remedies don't do anything for any of my pugs, we've tried Rescue Remedy, benadryl, the pheramones, plug ins, and all the similar products.

I was going to call my vet to see if there are any options, I wouldn't be totally opposed to light sedation IF there are no other options. And if they have to do a full sedation, no way. At least once he's off crate rest, I can walk him!

Saira
Saira

Back to top Go down

Post  Eph91 8/15/2011, 10:58 am

I know you wouldn't want to do this right now w/ his injury, but have you tried using a Dremel?

My guys still don't like it, but it's a lot easier and they are measurably calmer than when I used to use a clipper--now, I still don't do it as often as I should ashamed , as it's still a true chore that we all hate, but it does make it less traumatic for all of us.

Eph91
Eph91

Number of posts : 2839

Back to top Go down

Post  Saira 8/15/2011, 11:04 am

Eph91 wrote:I know you wouldn't want to do this right now w/ his injury, but have you tried using a Dremel?

My guys still don't like it, but it's a lot easier and they are measurably calmer than when I used to use a clipper--now, I still don't do it as often as I should ashamed , as it's still a true chore that we all hate, but it does make it less traumatic for all of us.

We actually use a dremel, but he hates it just as much, if not more, as getting them clipped. At least I worry less about quicking him with the dremel. But the main thing is his struggling, and even after he's off crate rest, I'm worried about him doing that and re-injuring himself. He used to be ok with his nails but years ago, the groomer cut his too short, and then right after that, he pulled one out. Ever since then if you even get close to his feet, he goes nuts. We keep trying the touch and treat method too, but it hasn't made any difference so far.

Indy's the only one who is doable with his nails!
Saira
Saira

Back to top Go down

Post  Renee 8/15/2011, 12:35 pm

Saira wrote:

I was going to call my vet to see if there are any options, I wouldn't be totally opposed to light sedation IF there are no other options. And if they have to do a full sedation, no way. At least once he's off crate rest, I can walk him!

Yes, I was talking about the light sedation the vet does, not the OTC stuff. I have had Ichiro lightly sedated for a procedure. They didn't knock him out or anything, they just made him very, very drunk / high. They said he was so loopy, they were all laughing at him. Very Happy
Renee
Renee

Number of posts : 5694

http://www.polarpug.org

Back to top Go down

Post  Eph91 8/15/2011, 2:19 pm

Oh, I remember him losing a nail. I guess I can't blame him. Poor guy; and poor you!
Eph91
Eph91

Number of posts : 2839

Back to top Go down

Post  Pugsaunt 8/15/2011, 2:41 pm

Poor Hooli, it just never ends, does it? I'm very lucky - Penny will fight like a demon for clipping, but bring out the Dremel, and she holds her front paw up like a dowager getting a manicure! Gentle sedation may be the answer. Huge gentle hugs to Hooli and a big one to you, too, Saira!
Pugsaunt
Pugsaunt

Number of posts : 6877

Back to top Go down

Post  TNPUGMOMOF3 8/15/2011, 2:50 pm

I just had pug spa day yesterday at the Bormann house! All mine are pretty good, they don't love the nails done, but they only fight a little. Bella used to be a screaming banchee, but even she wasn't too bad. We have found that standing them up on something that has little traction makes for less of a fight. They always did better for the vet than they did for me, so I figured I would make them stand on the three feet I wasn't clipping at the time. It has helped. Gus is the worst, but I figure at his age, he can be fussy, lord knows if his nails were ever done before. We can only get about 1 foot, maybe two done before he gets too stressed. He is also better for my vet, not much, but some. Mine react worse to the dremmel I think, because of the sound. The clippers are easier now than the dremmel.
TNPUGMOMOF3
TNPUGMOMOF3

Number of posts : 1982

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down