Pug Authority Forum
Welcome to the Pug Authority forum!

This is a fun, supportive community of pug owners who are dedicated to sharing our experiences regarding responsible pug ownership and learning from others.

You are currently viewing the forum as guest which does not give you the same access as members. Please click the Register button below to join our community! If you are already a member, please log-in!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Pug Authority Forum
Welcome to the Pug Authority forum!

This is a fun, supportive community of pug owners who are dedicated to sharing our experiences regarding responsible pug ownership and learning from others.

You are currently viewing the forum as guest which does not give you the same access as members. Please click the Register button below to join our community! If you are already a member, please log-in!
Pug Authority Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Nails- How Short is Too Short?

4 posters

Go down

Nails- How Short is Too Short? Empty Nails- How Short is Too Short?

Post  thminis 1/7/2010, 4:38 am

Hope this is in the right place!

I have kind of a weird question that I hope you guys don't take wrong. When I am able to consistantly dremmel Bella's nails, the quick recedes pretty fast. Somehow this also means her nails get pretty pointy and long quickly as well (especially since in our Illinois winter wonderland walks aren't always on the pavement). I've actually always been able to get her nails pretty short. Today was I doing them a bit, and noticed her dew claws are tiny! I knew this before, but so much of it was just plain nail and no quick that they are safely able to be dremmeled really really (almost unnaturallly?) short if I wanted to.

When I am at school, their nails are trimmed less often. So I'm not talking about show cut short and I would never, ever do anything to my pugs that would cause pain or harm, I'm just honestly wondering...how short would you guys go with their nails? I'm not talking about making them into stubs...maybe I'll snap a picture of hers tomorrow and add it to this post. Hope you guys don't think I'm crazy!
thminis
thminis

Number of posts : 1139

Back to top Go down

Nails- How Short is Too Short? Empty Re: Nails- How Short is Too Short?

Post  Aussie Witch 1/7/2010, 5:08 am

I think as long as you don't make them bleed by nicking the quick, they can be as short as possible.
Aussie Witch
Aussie Witch

Number of posts : 8556

Back to top Go down

Post  BDazzpugs 1/7/2010, 9:19 am

I keep my pugs nails VERY short, so as long as they are comforatable and not bleeding and they tolerate the dremel, just keep going. When they start to flinch, then stop. It also helps to blow on the nail as you dremel, because it is hot.
BDazzpugs
BDazzpugs

Number of posts : 1286

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest 1/7/2010, 7:06 pm

BDazz took the words right out of my mouth, hehe...
just make sure they aren't in pain and bleeding...

Back to top Go down

Post  Maryjo 1/7/2010, 7:12 pm

Show dog nails are supposed to be so short they don't touch the ground. It sounds like you are doing just right.
Maryjo
Maryjo

Number of posts : 4954

http://www.maryjoalaska.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down