Pug Authority Forum
Welcome to the Pug Authority forum!

This is a fun, supportive community of pug owners who are dedicated to sharing our experiences regarding responsible pug ownership and learning from others.

You are currently viewing the forum as guest which does not give you the same access as members. Please click the Register button below to join our community! If you are already a member, please log-in!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Pug Authority Forum
Welcome to the Pug Authority forum!

This is a fun, supportive community of pug owners who are dedicated to sharing our experiences regarding responsible pug ownership and learning from others.

You are currently viewing the forum as guest which does not give you the same access as members. Please click the Register button below to join our community! If you are already a member, please log-in!
Pug Authority Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I owned a puppy pug

2 posters

Go down

I owned a puppy pug Empty I owned a puppy pug

Post  Guest 7/29/2010, 5:56 am

hey guys i bought 51 days old pug what should i do first?

Back to top Go down

I owned a puppy pug Empty Re: I owned a puppy pug

Post  Aussie Witch 7/29/2010, 6:51 am

Whoa, that's WAY too young to be leaving its mum! First off find a good vet to make sure you have the puppy properly vaccinated and wormed as well as having someone to make sure the puppy is healthy and stays that way.

The puppy will need to be kept in a small enclosed area away from any weather extremes. It will need a warm bed as puppies sleep A LOT. It will need to be fed a MINIMUM of three times a day until it is 12 weeks old. It will need good quality special puppy food - I don't know what's available in the Philippines. Ask your vet. Try and keep feeding it what it was being fed at the breeders, although any breeder letting a puppy go at that age wouldn't be one that I'd put any faith in.

Try and find an experienced person to help if you haven't had a tiny puppy before. Good luck. Ask any other questions and I am sure you will get the right answers.
Aussie Witch
Aussie Witch

Number of posts : 8556

Back to top Go down

Post  Imon 7/30/2010, 3:50 pm

We got our Otto when he was about 8 - 8.5 weeks old (we wanted to wait until 12 weeks, but there was a problem at the breeder's and she wasn't going to be able to keep him that long after all).

Obviously, until he'd had his complete series of shots we didn't expose him to other dogs or walk him where other dogs had been walked. Basically, we kept his walks confined to our yard for the first month or two.

We walked him very often (something like 6 a.m., 7:30 a.m., 11 a.m., 3 p.m., 6 p.m., 9 p.m. and midnight) for the first month, then at least 5 times daily for the next month. We also crate trained him and worked on socializing him.

A puppy's mom and littermates will usually teach bite inhibition, so you will have to do that yourself. Be very careful not to treat the pup roughly, because you don't want him to become handshy. He's a little bit of a thing, so don't expect him to house-train quickly or be upset with him when he can't do some of the things you might want him to do. He won't have the muscle control to house-train for a few months yet, and pugs aren't that great with house-training under the best of circumstances.

Go gently with the leash/harness training. I'd really suggest playing with his paws and trying to get him used to having his nails handled and clipped because pugs seem to have a phobia about that. Maybe if you get him used to it early enough, he'll let you do his nails when he's older. Getting him used to having his teeth brushed or wiped clean will be helpful as he gets older, too.

Try to make a game of these things - pugs are very food-motivated, so you can use that, but give him very tiny treats so as not to turn him into a chunk-pug. If you do training in short intervals and make it fun, you'll be reinforcing your relationship with him and teaching him some behaviors that will be helpful in the future (sit, lie down, stay, quiet, drop it........)

Remember, he'll only be a puppy for a relatively short period of time. It can be annoying and exasperating at times, but one day you'll look at him and realize he isn't a puppy any more and you'll probably miss the puppy nuttiness. Enjoy him and good luck.
Imon
Imon

Number of posts : 1898

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down