Pug Authority Forum
Welcome to the Pug Authority forum!

This is a fun, supportive community of pug owners who are dedicated to sharing our experiences regarding responsible pug ownership and learning from others.

You are currently viewing the forum as guest which does not give you the same access as members. Please click the Register button below to join our community! If you are already a member, please log-in!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Pug Authority Forum
Welcome to the Pug Authority forum!

This is a fun, supportive community of pug owners who are dedicated to sharing our experiences regarding responsible pug ownership and learning from others.

You are currently viewing the forum as guest which does not give you the same access as members. Please click the Register button below to join our community! If you are already a member, please log-in!
Pug Authority Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Duncan's Separation Anxiety

4 posters

Go down

Duncan's Separation Anxiety Empty Duncan's Separation Anxiety

Post  Duncan's Pack 7/11/2014, 8:10 pm

I'm new to this forum.  My daughter moved to Blaine WA from MN with her pug, Duncan.  At home in MN, Duncan left his pug companion of the last 6 years and his Pom-A-Tzu companion of 3.5 years.  Plus, he was used to the 3 of us who are left behind.  His transition is not going well.  Duncan barks so much when Molly is at work that he is covered in slobber and hoarse when she gets home.  In their temporary living situation, there are other people around some of the time, but the other house dog wants nothing to do with Duncan. And, I think the other people are annoyed with his barking and constant searching for Molly when she is gone.  My daughter is worried sick.  She's going to try to get him into a vet tomorrow and see about anti-anxiety drugs.  There is more change coming up when Duncan and Molly move into their own place.  Here are my ideas.  Please weigh in with yours:
1.  Doggie Daycare...does anyone know of a service like this near Blaine?
2.  Drugs.  I haven't researched and so I'm not sure there is anything that will help.
3.  Adoption of an older pug rescue for companionship?  Pugs love pugs.  I'm thinking this would work except that my daughter just started her job and doesn't have the time off for the transition of adding another dog.
4.  Find him a new home.  My daughter does NOT want to do that. 
5.  In case you are wondering, the pug that is here with me in Minnesota is 14.5 years old and no way can travel or adjust to a new situation.
6.  Bring Duncan back to Minnesota.  He'd have to fly in the cabin and my daughter would need to bring him back.  Not something that can happen real fast.  Once he's back in Minnesota there would be a big hurdle since I'm doubtful about the association allowing multiple dogs at the condo we're moving to.

Sigh.  That's all I've got.

Duncan would do best in a family with a stay at home person to bond with that he could sleep with and follow around during the day.  I don't think my daughter wants to do that, but we'll have to see what our best options are keeping Duncan's well being in mind.

Duncan's Pack

Number of posts : 1

Back to top Go down

Duncan's Separation Anxiety Empty Re: Duncan's Separation Anxiety

Post  CSollers 7/13/2014, 9:39 am

Adding another adult Pug from rescue would be the way to go in my opinion. Males usually get along just fine without a whole lot of drama.
CSollers
CSollers

Number of posts : 376

Back to top Go down

Post  Maryjo 7/21/2014, 7:55 pm

CSollers wrote:Adding another adult Pug from rescue would be the way to go in my opinion. Males usually get along just fine without a whole lot of drama.
I agree.... Once she moves into her own place, there are several reputable pug resues in Washington.
Maryjo
Maryjo

Number of posts : 4954

http://www.maryjoalaska.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Pugsaunt 7/27/2014, 4:51 pm

Thundershirts are amazing, too.  I saw (or rather, not heard) one work wonderfully on a long-haired doxie with major separation anxiety.  Well worth a try, although I like the idea of a compugnion, too.
Pugsaunt
Pugsaunt

Number of posts : 6877

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down