Pug Authority Forum
Welcome to the Pug Authority forum!

This is a fun, supportive community of pug owners who are dedicated to sharing our experiences regarding responsible pug ownership and learning from others.

You are currently viewing the forum as guest which does not give you the same access as members. Please click the Register button below to join our community! If you are already a member, please log-in!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Pug Authority Forum
Welcome to the Pug Authority forum!

This is a fun, supportive community of pug owners who are dedicated to sharing our experiences regarding responsible pug ownership and learning from others.

You are currently viewing the forum as guest which does not give you the same access as members. Please click the Register button below to join our community! If you are already a member, please log-in!
Pug Authority Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Separation Anxiety

+2
pugasaurus
Saira
6 posters

Go down

Separation Anxiety Empty Separation Anxiety

Post  Saira 5/23/2011, 11:04 am

My foster Angel is a total angel in every way, but he has a bit of separation anxiety that I wanted to try and work on with him. He will cry and scratch at the door when I go out to the garage, and then cry at the bottom of the stairs when I go up. But, he will quiet down after a few mintues so it's not constant. It doesn't seem to matter that the other pugs are around him. The biggest issue is when I leave for work (he's in an x pen), and when I get home-he screeeeeeeeams. I have been ignoring him until he calms down, and then praise him-just wanted to make sure I am on the right track. What is tricky is his screaming sets off Indy's screaming, so then they egg each other on so it's really hard to get them to get quiet. My neighbors probably think I'm murdering people!

I already specified he's not to go to an apartment! Laughing
Saira
Saira

Number of posts : 8302

http://www.rescuepugs.com

Back to top Go down

Separation Anxiety Empty Re: Separation Anxiety

Post  pugasaurus 5/23/2011, 11:32 am

He's still pretty new so I suspect that much of this will die down once he adjusts more....but....since you do so much fostering, it would probably be a good idea to get "I'll Be Home Soon", by Patricia McConnell. It deals with nothing but separation anxiety.

One nice thing about a dog that attaches fast is that he will attach fast to his new family too.
pugasaurus
pugasaurus

Number of posts : 1117

Back to top Go down

Post  northernwitch 5/23/2011, 11:34 am

pugasaurus wrote:He's still pretty new so I suspect that much of this will die down once he adjusts more....but....since you do so much fostering, it would probably be a good idea to get "I'll Be Home Soon", by Patricia McConnell. It deals with nothing but separation anxiety.

One nice thing about a dog that attaches fast is that he will attach fast to his new family too.
It's a great book! I also love The Cautious Canine.

And Saira--it sounds less like separation anxiety and more like just general newbie anxiety helped along by his fellow screamer.
northernwitch
northernwitch

Number of posts : 11031

http://www.pugalug.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Tyson&LuLu'sMom 5/23/2011, 11:43 am

This sounds like what Mac used to do when we crated him in the kitchen separate from the other two. He would scream and howl like he was being tortured when he'd hear the garage door go up when someone was coming home.
Now they're all loose together and all greet me at the door with their chorus of barks, whines and yodeling.

Angel must like you a lot Laughing
Tyson&LuLu'sMom
Tyson&LuLu'sMom

Number of posts : 3776

Back to top Go down

Post  juneau hunter 5/24/2011, 9:24 am

Tyson&LuLu'sMom wrote:This sounds like what Mac used to do when we crated him in the kitchen separate from the other two. He would scream and howl like he was being tortured when he'd hear the garage door go up when someone was coming home.
Now they're all loose together and all greet me at the door with their chorus of barks, whines and yodeling.

Angel must like you a lot Laughing

Mine run loose too and when I come home at lunch they lift their lazy heads up from the couch and yawn like I'm intruding on their space!! Then they realize that its mama and they follow me to the kitchen. This all changes at 4:30 when I get home for the day. When I pull in the driveway they are standing at the window with their heads against the glass. By the time I get out of the car, the heads disappear and they are gathered at the door. They put the Walmart greeters to shame!!! They barely let me in. My favourite part is watching their bodies nearly split in half from the insane wiggling!
juneau hunter
juneau hunter

Number of posts : 2896

Back to top Go down

Post  pugpillow 5/25/2011, 9:54 pm

I just got another foster with severe separation anxiety too (sigh). Tonight she is actually snoozing in a dog bed 12 ft away from me. That's the first time since Friday night that she's been further than about a foot away by choice. I guess we're making progress.
pugpillow
pugpillow

Number of posts : 944

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down