Pug Authority Forum
Welcome to the Pug Authority forum!

This is a fun, supportive community of pug owners who are dedicated to sharing our experiences regarding responsible pug ownership and learning from others.

You are currently viewing the forum as guest which does not give you the same access as members. Please click the Register button below to join our community! If you are already a member, please log-in!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Pug Authority Forum
Welcome to the Pug Authority forum!

This is a fun, supportive community of pug owners who are dedicated to sharing our experiences regarding responsible pug ownership and learning from others.

You are currently viewing the forum as guest which does not give you the same access as members. Please click the Register button below to join our community! If you are already a member, please log-in!
Pug Authority Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Deramaxx vs Metacam?

5 posters

Go down

Deramaxx vs Metacam? Empty Deramaxx vs Metacam?

Post  MommaJones 7/28/2009, 11:27 am

I didn't want to thread-jack Rachel's thread, so I started this one.

What's the difference between Deramaxx and Metacam? Is one better for pain relief? Is one easier on the dog?

Toby's been on Metacam for a couple of years, but it doesn't seem to be enough anymore. We started for the arthritis in his shoulder, but lately it's obvious that his back-end is having a lot of stiffness and pain. I haven't had him to the vet yet, but as the evenings start getting cooler (even though it's summer) I've definitely noticed a difference at night and in the morning. He's also been grumpier than normal. He is also on a Dr. Foster/Smith joint supplement.

I'll google and see what the story on Deramaxx is, but I was hoping that I could get first hand info here.
MommaJones
MommaJones

Number of posts : 3761

Back to top Go down

Deramaxx vs Metacam? Empty Re: Deramaxx vs Metacam?

Post  Rebecca and the Pugs 7/28/2009, 1:53 pm

MommaJones wrote:I didn't want to thread-jack Rachel's thread, so I started this one.

What's the difference between Deramaxx and Metacam? Is one better for pain relief? Is one easier on the dog?

Toby's been on Metacam for a couple of years, but it doesn't seem to be enough anymore. We started for the arthritis in his shoulder, but lately it's obvious that his back-end is having a lot of stiffness and pain. I haven't had him to the vet yet, but as the evenings start getting cooler (even though it's summer) I've definitely noticed a difference at night and in the morning. He's also been grumpier than normal. He is also on a Dr. Foster/Smith joint supplement.

I'll google and see what the story on Deramaxx is, but I was hoping that I could get first hand info here.

Our vet has my hospice pugs on Metacam vs. Rimadyl right now because of the cost factor. When I had my foster pug Peter (that was hit by a car), he was on Deramaxx for a while. We tried different combinations to help with his pain. His pain was decreased with the additional surgery to shorten the pin that was rubbing against a nerve. The surgeon explained to me that the different pain meds were in comparison to tylenol, advil, asprin... etc. We just had to find the one that worked best for him.
Rebecca and the Pugs
Rebecca and the Pugs

Number of posts : 2936

Back to top Go down

Post  BDazzpugs 7/28/2009, 4:16 pm

I don't know much about Deramaxx. My Scarlett has been on Metacam for several years (I'm thrilled to say that) and she has done well with it. I wish they could speak to us when they feel pain so that they could answer this for us. I use Metacam when one of the puppies hurts themselves (which seems to be often these days).
BDazzpugs
BDazzpugs

Number of posts : 1286

Back to top Go down

Post  MommaJones 7/28/2009, 4:31 pm

Sarina,
How do you give the Metacam? I squirt it on top of Toby's food. I'm wondering if I give it to him directly, if it would be more effective. I'm going to try it that way this evening and see if there's any improvement.
MommaJones
MommaJones

Number of posts : 3761

Back to top Go down

Post  BDazzpugs 7/28/2009, 4:59 pm

I give it orally, I don't put it on food or anything.
BDazzpugs
BDazzpugs

Number of posts : 1286

Back to top Go down

Post  Not Afraid 7/28/2009, 5:24 pm

Thurston gets his Metacam (when he needs it) orally. He LOVES it. He even sits for it and wiggles his butt.
Not Afraid
Not Afraid

Number of posts : 5095

Back to top Go down

Post  dieselsmom 7/28/2009, 8:38 pm

I've used Metacam, Deramaxx and Rimadyl for different things over the course of the years. We initially tried Rimadyl for Makayla first and it didn't seem to help her a whole lot. The vet then prescribed Deramaxx as he said she may just respond to it differently. It does seem to be more effective for Kayla than the Rimadyl. My experience with Metacam is very limited. The e-vet prescribed it for Diesel when he ripped his toenail out. I have used it for Grace when her knee pops out and bothers her. I do have some on hand, but not sure it's strength level vs. Rimadyl or Deramaxx.
dieselsmom
dieselsmom

Number of posts : 2235

http://www.cloudk9.webs.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down