Pug Authority Forum
Welcome to the Pug Authority forum!

This is a fun, supportive community of pug owners who are dedicated to sharing our experiences regarding responsible pug ownership and learning from others.

You are currently viewing the forum as guest which does not give you the same access as members. Please click the Register button below to join our community! If you are already a member, please log-in!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Pug Authority Forum
Welcome to the Pug Authority forum!

This is a fun, supportive community of pug owners who are dedicated to sharing our experiences regarding responsible pug ownership and learning from others.

You are currently viewing the forum as guest which does not give you the same access as members. Please click the Register button below to join our community! If you are already a member, please log-in!
Pug Authority Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

metacam and runny poops

+2
Rebecca and the Pugs
monkeypigs4eva
6 posters

Go down

metacam and runny poops Empty metacam and runny poops

Post  monkeypigs4eva 2/6/2011, 11:16 am

The vet started Angus on Metacam for his back instead of Rimadyl. Well, yesterday he had a little loose stool which I chalked up to the vet visit on Friday (he often has that issue after a vet visit) and I spent yesterday morning cleaning poo-paws and poopy-bottom.
Well, this morning he has explosive diarrhea in his crate. It was terrible (for him AND for me).
The only thing that is different is this medicine. I am not giving it to him today and I'll see if it improves.
Just wanted to know if any of you have experience with Metacam. Between him and Calvin, my worry meter is off the charts.
monkeypigs4eva
monkeypigs4eva

Number of posts : 1892

http://www.etsy.com/shop/monkeypigranch

Back to top Go down

metacam and runny poops Empty Re: metacam and runny poops

Post  Rebecca and the Pugs 2/6/2011, 11:20 am

monkeypigs4eva wrote:The vet started Angus on Metacam for his back instead of Rimadyl. Well, yesterday he had a little loose stool which I chalked up to the vet visit on Friday (he often has that issue after a vet visit) and I spent yesterday morning cleaning poo-paws and poopy-bottom.
Well, this morning he has explosive diarrhea in his crate. It was terrible (for him AND for me).
The only thing that is different is this medicine. I am not giving it to him today and I'll see if it improves.
Just wanted to know if any of you have experience with Metacam. Between him and Calvin, my worry meter is off the charts.
Peachy gets Metacam, but the vet has me give her pepcid ac with it to protect her tummy.
Rebecca and the Pugs
Rebecca and the Pugs

Number of posts : 2936

Back to top Go down

Post  monkeypigs4eva 2/6/2011, 11:55 am

Has Peachy had any issues with it effecting her tummy? And do you find it works better than anything else you've tried? I think we are going back to the Rimadyl because this is just really, really bad. He had two more bouts of diarrhea since I wrote the first message.
monkeypigs4eva
monkeypigs4eva

Back to top Go down

Post  Rebecca and the Pugs 2/6/2011, 12:34 pm

She hasn't had any issues with runny poops. The Pepcid AC is to protect her stomach because she has to be on pain meds long term. I asked the difference between Metacam and Rimadyl and she said that it would be similar to Tylenol vs. Advil. Some dogs tolerate one better than the other. She recommended Metacam because it would be cheaper for the long term care. I have used Rimadyl on Peachy to use up Clara's supply after her passing. She gets 10 mg Pepcid AC. When I had Peter the Pug (the one that was hit by the car), he also received Pepcid AC with all of his pain meds too.
I am sorry Angus isn't feeling well.
Rebecca and the Pugs
Rebecca and the Pugs

Number of posts : 2936

Back to top Go down

Post  monkeypigs4eva 2/6/2011, 12:47 pm

Thanks Rebecca. I think we'll switch back to the rimadyl, even though it is more expensive. Anything to stop this diarrhea!
monkeypigs4eva
monkeypigs4eva

Back to top Go down

Post  MommaJones 2/6/2011, 3:44 pm

Toby takes Metacam every day, and he's never had any problems with it. I hope you're able to stop the diarrhea. It sounds absolutely miserable..
MommaJones
MommaJones

Number of posts : 3761

Back to top Go down

Post  northernwitch 2/6/2011, 3:59 pm

Yep. LOTS of gastric issues with Metacam. I've had more NOT do well on it than do well. I like Previcox.
northernwitch
northernwitch

Number of posts : 11031

http://www.pugalug.com

Back to top Go down

Post  TNPUGMOMOF3 2/7/2011, 1:29 pm

Gus has been on Metacam for months and I haven't had a problem.
TNPUGMOMOF3
TNPUGMOMOF3

Number of posts : 1982

Back to top Go down

Post  monkeypigs4eva 2/7/2011, 2:21 pm

Angus is still having some diarrhea and soft poops even though I stopped the medicine on Saturday night.
He is on a rice and boiled chicken diet and the vet said if he doesn't improve in 24 hours, bring him in and they'll see what's up.
More worrying. Calvin's surgery is Wednesday and now Angus has this digestive thing. Give me strength. (and a lot of doggie shampoo)
monkeypigs4eva
monkeypigs4eva

Back to top Go down

Post  Renee 2/7/2011, 2:40 pm

Kim, I am sorry to hear about the continuing runny poo. No fun at all. (((strength)))
Renee
Renee

Number of posts : 5694

http://www.polarpug.org

Back to top Go down

Post  monkeypigs4eva 2/7/2011, 2:43 pm

I misspoke...he is actually fasting until tomorrow morning (the vet recommended 24 hours--but he has breakfast this morning) and then he can have rice and chicken. If he still has diarrhea, then he goes to the vet.
I am just so tired. I think I got about 3 hours of sleep last night, between the stress (Cal, Angus, other stuff) and poor Angus' issue, I had an active night.

Thanks for the well wishes guys.
monkeypigs4eva
monkeypigs4eva

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down