Pug Authority Forum
Welcome to the Pug Authority forum!

This is a fun, supportive community of pug owners who are dedicated to sharing our experiences regarding responsible pug ownership and learning from others.

You are currently viewing the forum as guest which does not give you the same access as members. Please click the Register button below to join our community! If you are already a member, please log-in!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Pug Authority Forum
Welcome to the Pug Authority forum!

This is a fun, supportive community of pug owners who are dedicated to sharing our experiences regarding responsible pug ownership and learning from others.

You are currently viewing the forum as guest which does not give you the same access as members. Please click the Register button below to join our community! If you are already a member, please log-in!
Pug Authority Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Honest Kitchen

+10
Amanda
Sara
Not Afraid
PugLady3
leslyeb
ayleash
GingerSnap
dieselsmom
Tyson&LuLu'sMom
Newsie96
14 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Honest Kitchen - Page 2 Empty Re: Honest Kitchen

Post  Guest 10/7/2009, 7:32 pm

i'm thinking of trying this for LuLu's wet dinner. Seems like when I ask people what to get in raw, I get mostly HK as an answer.

I free feed her kibble and she gets some when she likes throughout the day which is very little and she likes to eat for whatever reason more kibble,1/4 cup, in the bedroom when I'm getting ready for bed . She is so picky about dry foods, but I am trying to switch her out of Science Diet for the most healthiest senior stuff I can find.

Cant wait to get her some samples of this. Honest Kitchen - Page 2 335895

Back to top Go down

Post  Not Afraid 10/8/2009, 12:59 am

LuLu_Cooking_Monstor wrote: She is so picky about dry foods, but I am trying to switch her out of Science Diet for the most healthiest senior stuff I can find.

I recommend Orijen Senior quite a bit. I really like their product line. My cats are eating Orijen now.
Not Afraid
Not Afraid

Number of posts : 5095

Back to top Go down

Post  Pugsaunt 10/8/2009, 1:18 am

Not Afraid wrote:
LuLu_Cooking_Monstor wrote: She is so picky about dry foods, but I am trying to switch her out of Science Diet for the most healthiest senior stuff I can find.

I recommend Orijen Senior quite a bit. I really like their product line. My cats are eating Orijen now.
Penny was on Orijen Senior for a coule of years until we switched to Taste of the Wild fish for a change of protein. She thrives on both of them.
Pugsaunt
Pugsaunt

Number of posts : 6877

Back to top Go down

Post  dieselsmom 10/8/2009, 9:23 am

Saira, we feed their dry kibble for the morning meal and HK for dinner - for two reasons. 1) Because at 6 a.m., I like to just scoop out kibble and put it in their bowls (just easier for me when I'm not fully functioning that early in the morning) and 2) because with three of them, HK is a little pricey for me. So I give them one HK meal a day to still keep them on a great food but also keep it a little more affordable.
dieselsmom
dieselsmom

Number of posts : 2235

http://www.cloudk9.webs.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest 10/8/2009, 6:40 pm

Not Afraid wrote:

I like Orijens kibble quite a bit, that's what I had my Bichon on and Evo and it did beautifully for her coat and skin.

I'm hoping that LuLu likes it.

So far I've tried quite a bit of what I can find at Petco and Petsmart. Natures Recipe, Avoderm, Wellness, Solid Gold, Royal Canin she got excited for the bags so I went to go try them. I tried to put in just 5 pieces in her bowl of SD kibble and she smelled and didnt want to even touch her Science Diet. And I put seperate piles on the floor to see if she would try a bite but no sucess. Also she wasnt feeling that great around that time, hurt leg, and it aggravated it by not eating Honest Kitchen - Page 2 253213

Will try again now that she's feeling great and pray she will like Orijens or Innova brands.

I'm so attached to this dog that I want her to have the best health regimen possible. She's 8 so I worry a lot on how to prolong her life. I know whoever owned her before me cared for her, but definitely did not know anything about nutrition. This dogs teeth is covered in plaque and didnt know what a dental chewy was and got way too excited over the word hot dog and seeing a hot dog package that she was probably fed them too often. Honest Kitchen - Page 2 Kopfschuettel

Back to top Go down

Post  Newsie96 10/12/2009, 1:58 pm

I went through my samples of Honest Kitchen and the boys have been back on Wellness full time. Jeff noticed that their fur isn't as soft or shiney. I know the Honest Kitchen has kelp in it and a friend of mine who breeds adds that to her pugs' food.

Tonight I'll be in a shopping plaza in CT where there is a high end pet store (not live animals, just goodies for the pets, including food.) I'm going to splurge and get a big bag of the Keen for the boys. I can't wait to start it again.
Newsie96
Newsie96

Number of posts : 996

Back to top Go down

Post  Saira 10/12/2009, 7:02 pm

So we switched them over (slowly) over the weekend, and they go crazy for it. I feel bad because it has to sit out for 10 mins, and Hooli goes in his room and cries very sad cries until he gets his bowl.
Saira
Saira

Number of posts : 8302

http://www.rescuepugs.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Tyson&LuLu'sMom 10/12/2009, 7:16 pm

I think that is the longest 10 minutes in any pug's life. Sometime I will have to video mine while they're waiting-LuLu and Mac sound like they're being beat. I always wonder what the neighbors think because in the summer time I'm sure they can hear with the windows and doors open.
Tyson&LuLu'sMom
Tyson&LuLu'sMom

Number of posts : 3776

Back to top Go down

Post  GingerSnap 10/12/2009, 7:51 pm

Saira wrote:So we switched them over (slowly) over the weekend, and they go crazy for it. I feel bad because it has to sit out for 10 mins, and Hooli goes in his room and cries very sad cries until he gets his bowl.

Tyson&LuLu'sMom wrote:I think that is the longest 10 minutes in any pug's life. Sometime I will have to video mine while they're waiting-LuLu and Mac sound like they're being beat. I always wonder what the neighbors think because in the summer time I'm sure they can hear with the windows and doors open.
LOL!!! I'm not sure I've got it in me to torture them quite that much!
GingerSnap
GingerSnap

Number of posts : 3547

Back to top Go down

Post  Pugsaunt 10/12/2009, 8:18 pm

GingerSnap wrote:
Saira wrote:So we switched them over (slowly) over the weekend, and they go crazy for it. I feel bad because it has to sit out for 10 mins, and Hooli goes in his room and cries very sad cries until he gets his bowl.

Tyson&LuLu'sMom wrote:I think that is the longest 10 minutes in any pug's life. Sometime I will have to video mine while they're waiting-LuLu and Mac sound like they're being beat. I always wonder what the neighbors think because in the summer time I'm sure they can hear with the windows and doors open.
LOL!!! I'm not sure I've got it in me to torture them quite that much!

Penny sits there and screams at me while I'm fixing her meals. I think she believes that she has to supervise me so I'll get it right. Rolling Eyes
Pugsaunt
Pugsaunt

Number of posts : 6877

Back to top Go down

Honest Kitchen - Page 2 Empty The Honest Kitchen

Post  Miss Pugg 10/12/2009, 8:27 pm

I find the store where I buy Eagle Pack supposedly carries The Honest Kitchen. It's just 15 miles from me. I will be able to go there this week and check it out. My vet said Force and Preference are the only two Jasmine can use. Willow will stay on Solid Gold and Buffy will go to SG when our present bag of Eagle Pack is gone. Sure be nice if they'd all be able to eat the same food.
Miss Pugg
Miss Pugg

Number of posts : 659

Back to top Go down

Post  Newsie96 10/13/2009, 8:25 am

I got a ten-pound bag last night and I hope to make it for dinner for them tonight. It IS the longest ten minutes of their life. A friend of mine said you can premake a batch and nuke it in the microwave. Anyone try this? I plan on adding rice and carrots to the mix.
Newsie96
Newsie96

Number of posts : 996

Back to top Go down

Post  Tyson&LuLu'sMom 10/13/2009, 9:34 am

Newsie96 wrote:I got a ten-pound bag last night and I hope to make it for dinner for them tonight. It IS the longest ten minutes of their life. A friend of mine said you can premake a batch and nuke it in the microwave. Anyone try this? I plan on adding rice and carrots to the mix.

I've never tried pre-making it, but I want to say I've read that you can freeze it and then stick it in the microwave before serving.
Tyson&LuLu'sMom
Tyson&LuLu'sMom

Back to top Go down

Post  dieselsmom 10/13/2009, 10:05 am

I've had Grace on Keen full time while we're on vacation. I do so enjoy feeding it to them all the time because it's so good for them. But I agree - longest 10 minutes of their life. I usually mix it up and then take them outside to potty while it's "cooking." Diesel will go out but the girls usually sit by the door and stare at the counter trying to remind me that their food is still sitting up there - in case I forget!!
dieselsmom
dieselsmom

Number of posts : 2235

http://www.cloudk9.webs.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest 11/1/2009, 4:35 am

Scotts sold on this after showing him how much food it actually makes and how healthy it is. We are going to get some samples and try seeing how it goes with a combination with fresh ingredients at home. I've been feeding her homemade meals this week and seems to agree with her to go back to natural foods.

She's gotten stronger in her walking since we got her and fed her better and exercised her, but with fresh foods I think my girlie might start sprinting! Honest Kitchen - Page 2 78340

Back to top Go down

Honest Kitchen - Page 2 Empty Honest Kitchen

Post  Miss Pugg 11/1/2009, 1:13 pm

I find the pet store no longer sells Honest Kitchen. She gave me samples of Evangers Pheasant and Brown Rice, my vet did the AK test and it's OK for Jasmine. It is small kibble, unlike the huge Solid Gold Beef and Barley I feed to Willow. I also am now giving her Evanger's canned Pheasant but it hasn't been tested yet. She really loves it. If you contact Honest Kitchen, would they send samples?
Miss Pugg
Miss Pugg

Number of posts : 659

Back to top Go down

Post  Not Afraid 11/1/2009, 2:33 pm

Honest Kitchen has been great with the store about sending samples. I'd offer to send some to you, but we are ou of Embark samples, which is probably what most pugs would eat. They have a fantastic web site. I'd see if they would send samples.
Not Afraid
Not Afraid

Number of posts : 5095

Back to top Go down

Post  Tyson&LuLu'sMom 11/1/2009, 9:18 pm

I have emailed customer service with questions before and they have been more than willing to send samples to me. It can't hurt to ask!
Tyson&LuLu'sMom
Tyson&LuLu'sMom

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest 11/7/2009, 1:12 am

http://www.doggiefood.com/honestkitchen.html

Found this website and the prices are quite good and have the lowest price guarantee. Have not ordered from them yet though.

They have a variety of natural commercial food so I'm pretty excited about this website.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest 11/17/2009, 8:24 pm

What are peoples favorite fresh kitchen items to add to HK?

LuLu loves green beans I've mixed about 1/8 of a can into her HK this week. Going to try some spinach, peas, squash this coming week. She seems to like when I put fresh veggies into her food even when she was on canned dinners. And she gets really excited when "new" things are rotated into her meals.

And she scarfs her food down faster when its warm and more runny than the box directions so was thinking maybe some yogurt with probiotics a good add for her to add another liquid in there? She seems to like eating keen and force the best and those get really thick....was not as fond of verve, I dont think she likes oats.

I liked the taste of Verve the best. LOL yeah I tried all the samples as I was curious and most taste like veggies with some meat broth. I cant be the only one who tried them, right? Honest Kitchen - Page 2 Icon_razz

Back to top Go down

Post  Lilos Mom 11/18/2009, 5:15 pm

I just emailed HK to get samples for the rescue. They have a great website, very informative. I'm seriously thinking of putting Lilo, Midnight & Rudy on HK for one of their meals. I currently have them on Taste of the Wild grain free for both meals.
Lilos Mom
Lilos Mom

Number of posts : 714

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest 11/19/2009, 8:03 pm

^ I love how great they are about samples.

I got to let LuLu try out everything before settling on the one's she seemed to enjoy and digest well.

Hope it works out for your babies!

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2