Pug Authority Forum
Welcome to the Pug Authority forum!

This is a fun, supportive community of pug owners who are dedicated to sharing our experiences regarding responsible pug ownership and learning from others.

You are currently viewing the forum as guest which does not give you the same access as members. Please click the Register button below to join our community! If you are already a member, please log-in!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Pug Authority Forum
Welcome to the Pug Authority forum!

This is a fun, supportive community of pug owners who are dedicated to sharing our experiences regarding responsible pug ownership and learning from others.

You are currently viewing the forum as guest which does not give you the same access as members. Please click the Register button below to join our community! If you are already a member, please log-in!
Pug Authority Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Care Credit

+5
papaspugs
Tyson&LuLu'sMom
BDazzpugs
MackandMattiesMom
Amanda
9 posters

Go down

Care Credit Empty Care Credit

Post  Amanda 8/11/2009, 10:13 am

Has anyone used Care Credit to pay for vet expenses? When Nell was at the vet last week, he noted that she has pretty bad periodontal disease. She had a dental less than a year ago and lost a few teeth but apparently the (old) vet must have left some teeth that they thought "looked" ok but really weren't. Our new vet said he does x-rays before a dental as standard practice so he can see what's going on with the root, etc. Anyway, in the past day or two she seems to be getting really uncomfortable and I know dental issues can lead to a host of other issues. So, I need to get this done ASAP but it's just not a good time at all. We have alot of thing going on right now that I won't go into but I'm not willing to put off this dental. I applied for Care Credit and was approved. Just curious what your experiences have been. I think I can get 6 months no interest. I figure it will at least buy me some time to pay it off over 2 or 3 months. This new vet charges more than I'm used to paying for a dental but he's also very thorough and I trust that he'll get her fixed up right this time.
Amanda
Amanda

Number of posts : 6990

http://www.pugauthority.com

Back to top Go down

Care Credit Empty Re: Care Credit

Post  MackandMattiesMom 8/11/2009, 10:19 am

My SIL used it when their cat broke its leg. She paid it off within the 6 months and had no problems at all. I hope her dental goes well. I'd definitely use Care Credit if I was in the position to need it.
MackandMattiesMom
MackandMattiesMom

Number of posts : 2609

Back to top Go down

Post  BDazzpugs 8/11/2009, 10:30 am

We have come close in rescue to using it, but never have. I think it is a great option when you need something major and it is going to cause a strain on the pocket book. I think as long as you pay if off in the stated time frame then it should work as it was intended too.
BDazzpugs
BDazzpugs

Number of posts : 1286

Back to top Go down

Post  Tyson&LuLu'sMom 8/11/2009, 10:31 am

We applied for it when we thought Tyson was going to need an MRI/CSF tap. Thankfully, he didn't need the procedures, so we didn't use it.
From what I understand the amount of time you have to pay it off depends on what the particular vet's office offers. Some have 6 months no interest, others only offer 3 months.
It's great that your vet offers the payment option, if we needed something major done, I'd have to go to a different office since our regular vet doesn't take it.
Tyson&LuLu'sMom
Tyson&LuLu'sMom

Number of posts : 3776

Back to top Go down

Post  papaspugs 8/11/2009, 11:12 am

I think that I may have a Platinum Care Credit card! LOL! I have used this a ton in the past-with my old vet, at UT vet college, and at the E-vet. I keep in my pug's bag so that if we are traveling or if I am gone and something happens either my husband or the dog sitter will have it. The 'special' offers for deferred payment depend on the procedure and cost of the procedure. Most of the time, for Teddy or BG, they were in the 4 digit range and I got 6 mo deferred interest. I had mine set up online for the monthly payments. You can apply on line or at your vet's office.
papaspugs
papaspugs

Number of posts : 2297

Back to top Go down

Post  Saira 8/11/2009, 11:23 am

I have always heard good things about it too. The only thing is to make sure you pay it off before the no interest period expires, but I know a few people who have used it-we have also recommended it to people who had pugs that needed surgery.
Saira
Saira

Number of posts : 8302

http://www.rescuepugs.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Not Afraid 8/11/2009, 11:49 am

I have used it for my own expensive dental work a few years ago. It was great not to have interest for the first 6 months.
Not Afraid
Not Afraid

Number of posts : 5095

Back to top Go down

Post  sallyandtilly 8/11/2009, 12:13 pm

I've never used it but heard a lot of people do and are glad they did. Never heard anything bad about it.
sallyandtilly
sallyandtilly

Number of posts : 3150

Back to top Go down

Post  smoochieface 8/11/2009, 2:10 pm

I've never used it, but it sounds interesting. I'm curious if anyone knows, if you don't pay it off during the interest free period, does it smack you with accrued back interest?

We've done the interest free thing when making big purchases for electronics or appliances. For instance, Best Buy often had deals where you spend at least $1,000 and you get 12 months no interest, but if you don't pay it off within 12 months, you get hit with all the back interest. It was was always a good motivation to get that credit card paid off in the no-interest time period and then it's an amazing deal.

So just wondering if Care Credit works the same way?
smoochieface
smoochieface

Number of posts : 5123

Back to top Go down

Post  Saira 8/11/2009, 2:14 pm

smoochieface wrote:I've never used it, but it sounds interesting. I'm curious if anyone knows, if you don't pay it off during the interest free period, does it smack you with accrued back interest?

We've done the interest free thing when making big purchases for electronics or appliances. For instance, Best Buy often had deals where you spend at least $1,000 and you get 12 months no interest, but if you don't pay it off within 12 months, you get hit with all the back interest. It was was always a good motivation to get that credit card paid off in the no-interest time period and then it's an amazing deal.

So just wondering if Care Credit works the same way?

Yes, that is the drawback. At least from what I have heard (although they might have different plans), if you don't pay it off, you do get hit with all the interest.
Saira
Saira

Number of posts : 8302

http://www.rescuepugs.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down