Pug Authority Forum
Welcome to the Pug Authority forum!

This is a fun, supportive community of pug owners who are dedicated to sharing our experiences regarding responsible pug ownership and learning from others.

You are currently viewing the forum as guest which does not give you the same access as members. Please click the Register button below to join our community! If you are already a member, please log-in!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Pug Authority Forum
Welcome to the Pug Authority forum!

This is a fun, supportive community of pug owners who are dedicated to sharing our experiences regarding responsible pug ownership and learning from others.

You are currently viewing the forum as guest which does not give you the same access as members. Please click the Register button below to join our community! If you are already a member, please log-in!
Pug Authority Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Safe for now, but seeking hospice care, special needs senior

+2
PugLady3
Puggered
6 posters

Go down

Safe for now, but seeking hospice care, special needs senior Empty Safe for now, but seeking hospice care, special needs senior

Post  Puggered 1/27/2011, 10:58 am

I have permission to cross post this from PV.
This is Nero.
Safe for now, but seeking hospice care, special needs senior Nero

And this is his story:
Nero
Color: Black
Special needs: He has been diagnosed with degenerative myelopathy, a genetic spinal cord deterioration disease that has slowly reduced his ability to control his legs. He takes a single dose of Prednisone (steroid) once a day with breakfast.
His story: I adopted Nero in the summer of 2001 while I was living in New Orleans, La. He was about a year old at the time and needed a new home after his original owners divorced.
During hurricane Katrina, Nero evacuated to Connecticut with my roommate while I stayed behind in New Orleans. We were reunited about three weeks after the storm. In the spring of 2005, Nero and I moved to San Diego.
For our first three and a half years here, Nero spent weekdays at doggy day care while I worked. He was able to socialize with two other dogs and had access to a back yard through a doggie door.
But he had to stop going to day care a year and a half ago when his legs became too weak to allow him to navigate the doggie door and back steps.
Because of my long work hours, he now spends most of the day in a crate. I also crate him at night because of concerns that he might have accidents around the house. That said, he generally poops and pees when I take him outside.
Going for walks is no longer possible. His outdoor activity is pretty much limited to short strolls (20 or 30 yards) for bathroom breaks.
He's able to walk anywhere from 10 to 40 steps on his own before his back legs give out. Then he has to be lifted back onto his feet before he can take off again. He's sometimes able to lift himself if he has good traction, but it takes a lot of effort.
The doctors say he's in no pain from his condition.
He had a few eye infections caused by scratches a number of years ago that left his sight foggy, but he can still see fairly well - it doesn't seem to cause him any problems.
Despite his difficulties, he still has a happy disposition, a healthy appetite and plenty of spunkiness.
He loves to sit at the feet of his companions or nap in their laps. He doesn't bark much at all, generally only when he's about to eat. (He gets really excited when its meal time.)
Because of his deteriorating condition and my limited ability to spend time with him, I have decided to find another home for him.

contact details are on the PV thread, or I will pass them on for you.

Spread the word by all means...I have a hunch he is meant to find just the right home to keep that glorous dignity intact.
Puggered
Puggered

Number of posts : 1517

Back to top Go down

Safe for now, but seeking hospice care, special needs senior Empty Re: Safe for now, but seeking hospice care, special needs senior

Post  PugLady3 1/27/2011, 11:40 am

Where is Nero located now? Still in San Diego? He certainly is a handsome boy. hug dog
PugLady3
PugLady3

Number of posts : 2562

http://www.northernillinoispugrescue.org

Back to top Go down

Safe for now, but seeking hospice care, special needs senior Empty Re: Safe for now, but seeking hospice care, special needs senior

Post  LisaIzzyAggy 1/27/2011, 11:49 am

I know this isn't helpful, but I just can't imagine how someone could get rid of a pug they've had for 10 years. Crying or Very sad
LisaIzzyAggy
LisaIzzyAggy

Number of posts : 3001

Back to top Go down

Post  Renee 1/27/2011, 1:36 pm

LisaIzzyAggy wrote:I know this isn't helpful, but I just can't imagine how someone could get rid of a pug they've had for 10 years. Crying or Very sad

And yet... we see it all too often.

If he was in Alaska, I would take him in a heart beat, as would all the Polar Pug Rescue peeps.

I wish I could help. All I have to offer is my sincere hope that he gets into rescue and hospice care. How truly heartbreaking for him to have to start over at his age. he is just beautiful, I could never imagine giving him up.
Renee
Renee

Number of posts : 5694

http://www.polarpug.org

Back to top Go down

Post  Aussie Witch 1/27/2011, 2:28 pm

I'm with you guys on wondering how she could give him up, but it sounds as though he will be better off. Hope he finds a special angel soon, he needs one. sigh
Aussie Witch
Aussie Witch

Number of posts : 8556

Back to top Go down

Post  Saira 1/27/2011, 2:32 pm

That is very sad. We are sending out our newsletter soon, I'll add him in, in case there is anyone available. But special needs fosters/adopters are very very few and far between, unfortunately.

Saira
Saira

Number of posts : 8302

http://www.rescuepugs.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down