Pug Authority Forum
Welcome to the Pug Authority forum!

This is a fun, supportive community of pug owners who are dedicated to sharing our experiences regarding responsible pug ownership and learning from others.

You are currently viewing the forum as guest which does not give you the same access as members. Please click the Register button below to join our community! If you are already a member, please log-in!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Pug Authority Forum
Welcome to the Pug Authority forum!

This is a fun, supportive community of pug owners who are dedicated to sharing our experiences regarding responsible pug ownership and learning from others.

You are currently viewing the forum as guest which does not give you the same access as members. Please click the Register button below to join our community! If you are already a member, please log-in!
Pug Authority Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Jogging with Freddy Jones.

+7
agilepug
Not Afraid
Snifter&Toddy
Saira
TxAllieGrl
Javalita
MommaJones
11 posters

Go down

Jogging with Freddy Jones. Empty Jogging with Freddy Jones.

Post  MommaJones 8/21/2009, 9:33 am

I'm trying to get in shape to run a 5k in mid-September. I'm in rotten shape and have been easing into it. Freddy Jones has been going with me. He's 4 and in pretty decent shape even though we haven't walked much all summer. Is it okay for him to jog 3 miles with me? I'm currently able to jog 1.5 miles solid, then walk some. Today I added the last 1/2 mile jogging. I'm not sure how long it will take me to get the entire 3 miles jogging with no walking, but I want to be sure it's okay for FJ to go that far. I'm definitely NOT a fast jogger. I was pretty impressed that I'm on a 10 minute mile pace. He seems fine while we're doing it. He comes home and sleeps all morning, but that's not unusual. So what do you think? Continue training with FJ? Or leave him at home? (One other option is to have my hubby meet me at the half-way point and bring FJ home in the pick-up.)
MommaJones
MommaJones

Number of posts : 3761

Back to top Go down

Jogging with Freddy Jones. Empty Re: Jogging with Freddy Jones.

Post  Javalita 8/21/2009, 9:42 am

Good for you! I'd worry about his knees and things if it were me. But I am paranoid! I'll let others chime in since I have very little useful info on this! But I would think that 1.5 miles a day would be good for him - maybe hubby can get him half way?
Javalita
Javalita

Number of posts : 964

Back to top Go down

Post  TxAllieGrl 8/21/2009, 9:52 am

It sounds like a really long distance for a pug to me Christy. I'd be concerned to take him that far (though you know your dog better than we do!).

TxAllieGrl

Number of posts : 5801

Back to top Go down

Post  MommaJones 8/21/2009, 10:46 am

See, I had those same concerns which was why I was asking. I'll wait for some other responses, because maybe someone has a pug who goes that distance. BUT I'm guessing my best bet will be to have Daryl pick him up at the half-way point. I think the first half will be a good work out for him, but I most definitely don't want to overdo it. I can see what the arthritis does to my poor Toby Love. I don't want that for my little FJ.
MommaJones
MommaJones

Back to top Go down

Post  Saira 8/21/2009, 11:18 am

It sounds a little far to me too, at least if it's jogging wise. I think if it was a slower walking pace, it would be ok, but I'd worry about running that distance.

And congrats on being able to run that far, I tried the program and just couldn't do it!
Saira
Saira

Number of posts : 8302

http://www.rescuepugs.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Snifter&Toddy 8/21/2009, 11:21 am

If he is not overweight and is not showing any signs of distress while you are out there then I personally can't see a problem in taking him with you. I suppose if he were to be running flat out to keep up with you that would be overdoing it, but if he can keep up with you at a nice trot, why not? Just make sure to have water with you in case he needs it and be prepared to abandon the jog and carry him home if he starts struggling (in which case of course you wouldn't take him on the full circuit in future.)
Snifter&Toddy
Snifter&Toddy

Number of posts : 2071

Back to top Go down

Post  Not Afraid 8/21/2009, 12:11 pm

Thurston regularly walks about 6 miles a day. But, jogging? I'm not sure he could do that and not get hurt. I also worry about the heat. But, if he'd going fine with it, I don't see why he can't go on a shorter run. But, three miles of jogging seems like a lot for a pug.
Not Afraid
Not Afraid

Number of posts : 5095

Back to top Go down

Post  MommaJones 8/21/2009, 12:44 pm

Bella,
He's in better shape than I am and of runs ahead of me on his leash! Laughing

Lisa,
We go in the morning while it's nice and cool, so heat is definitely not an issue.

And I do carry water with me. Keep the comments coming!
MommaJones
MommaJones

Back to top Go down

Post  agilepug 8/21/2009, 5:15 pm

My pugs go running with me fairly regularly, I'm not positive of the mileage, but we're out for a while (about 30-40 minutes). I don't see anything wrong with it, if they're in good shape, and are given a chance to build up some endurance.
agilepug
agilepug

Number of posts : 148

http://www.westoverpugpack.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  GingerSnap 8/21/2009, 5:21 pm

I'll be the dissenting voice here. It seems to me that if he doesn't have any orthopedic issues to be concerned about, and that you pay attention to any signs of distress (which I know you completely would), and that he's building up his mileage as you are, then I think you're OK to at least give it a shot. Might you end up having to call Darryl on the cell to pick him up one day, or cut your jogging distance short one day? Well, maybe. But would that be the end of the world? Probably not. Might it be too much for him? Well sure, but I think you'll know that by watching him. My word of caution would be that he may need a slower progression than you do.
GingerSnap
GingerSnap

Number of posts : 3547

Back to top Go down

Post  Sara 8/24/2009, 11:53 pm

It seems like you are doing everything right and also you've been walking him for a long time and slowly building up to a jog. Now my only issue is jogging and running is SO hard on our joints and things, will it have long term effects on a pug because they are a toy breed and pretty delicate overall? That I don't know. I would say ask your vet, but so many vets really don't know the breed that well.

I certainly don't think you are harming him and I know you are being a super pug mom and will take great care of him. And good for you for working out girl!
Sara
Sara

Number of posts : 4083

Back to top Go down

Post  LisaIzzyAggy 8/25/2009, 7:08 am

I think it's fine as long as Freddy Jones isn't showing any signs of distress. And I know you keep a good eye on him. I think Izzy would probably love that (me not so much).
LisaIzzyAggy
LisaIzzyAggy

Number of posts : 3001

Back to top Go down

Post  Snifter&Toddy 8/25/2009, 7:23 am

Sara wrote:It seems like you are doing everything right and also you've been walking him for a long time and slowly building up to a jog. Now my only issue is jogging and running is SO hard on our joints and things, will it have long term effects on a pug because they are a toy breed and pretty delicate overall? That I don't know. I would say ask your vet, but so many vets really don't know the breed that well.

I certainly don't think you are harming him and I know you are being a super pug mom and will take great care of him. And good for you for working out girl!

That is an interesting point, Sara. My personal opinion is that jogging is particularly hard on human knees and ankles because we only have two legs. The weight distribution over 4 legs must make it easier on their joints - although steep hills would, I imagine, possibly be an issue. And prolonged running on hard surfaces rather than grass may also make a difference.
Snifter&Toddy
Snifter&Toddy

Number of posts : 2071

Back to top Go down

Post  MommaJones 8/25/2009, 2:10 pm

After the way I felt during/after yesterday's run, I really worry about the stress on FJ's joints. I think we'll stick to the 1.5 mile jog for him, and let him go home with Daddy at that point.
MommaJones
MommaJones

Back to top Go down

Post  Mel 8/25/2009, 4:24 pm

maybe you could both run with the stroller the first half, and put him in it the second?
Mel
Mel

Number of posts : 3270

Back to top Go down

Post  MommaJones 8/25/2009, 4:35 pm

Mel wrote:maybe you could both run with the stroller the first half, and put him in it the second?
I've tried running with the stroller and it just doesn't work for me. I need to be able to move my arms more. That's why Toby gets left at home. The pace is way too fast for him for any distance and I can't push the stroller while I'm running. I've also thought I could run north up to the black top road, then come back south, drop FJ off at home, then continue back south (how ever far I need to make my 3 miles) and then turn around and come back home.
MommaJones
MommaJones

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down