Pug Authority Forum
Welcome to the Pug Authority forum!

This is a fun, supportive community of pug owners who are dedicated to sharing our experiences regarding responsible pug ownership and learning from others.

You are currently viewing the forum as guest which does not give you the same access as members. Please click the Register button below to join our community! If you are already a member, please log-in!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Pug Authority Forum
Welcome to the Pug Authority forum!

This is a fun, supportive community of pug owners who are dedicated to sharing our experiences regarding responsible pug ownership and learning from others.

You are currently viewing the forum as guest which does not give you the same access as members. Please click the Register button below to join our community! If you are already a member, please log-in!
Pug Authority Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Does your pug like oranges?

+11
GingerSnap
Puglove2
MackandMattiesMom
LisaIzzyAggy
MommaJones
Erin
Snifter&Toddy
1pugmom
ForeverHopper
Amanda
Sara
15 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Does your pug like oranges? Empty Does your pug like oranges?

Post  Sara 3/17/2009, 4:05 pm

Are oranges okay? Co-Pilot loves all fruit (I know she can't have grapes) but I was pretty surprised when she wanted some of my orange and then tasted it and wanted more. It was a pretty tart orange, i was surprised!

Is there any concern with the acidity in citrus for dogs?
Sara
Sara

Number of posts : 4083

Back to top Go down

Does your pug like oranges? Empty Re: Does your pug like oranges?

Post  Amanda 3/17/2009, 4:37 pm

I've never read or heard anything about them being toxic/dangerous. I would assume they are fine in moderation. I would think the citric acid could cause abdominal upset in large quantities. It's sure better than some things that pugs are willing to eat! :)
Amanda
Amanda

Number of posts : 6990

http://www.pugauthority.com

Back to top Go down

Post  ForeverHopper 3/17/2009, 5:13 pm

I'm not sure about oranges. Mine loves to eat watermelon, apples and bananas. I wonder if strawberries are ok too?
ForeverHopper
ForeverHopper

Number of posts : 301

http://www.centralfloridapugrescue.org

Back to top Go down

Post  1pugmom 3/17/2009, 5:32 pm

Crusher loves them. Of course he'll eat just about anything I put in my mouth except popcorn without salt and butter or grapefruit. He's a big pig. In fact if i learn how to post pictures I have a picture of him where he looks like a pot belly pig laying there.
1pugmom
1pugmom

Number of posts : 26

Back to top Go down

Post  Sara 3/17/2009, 6:29 pm

ForeverHopper wrote:I'm not sure about oranges. Mine loves to eat watermelon, apples and bananas. I wonder if strawberries are ok too?

Co-Pilot eats strawberries. Never had a problem. She also loves mango, cantaloupe, nectarine, peaches, blueberries, and really most fruit, but I would say cantaloupe is her favorite.
Sara
Sara

Back to top Go down

Post  ForeverHopper 3/17/2009, 9:23 pm

Sara wrote:Co-Pilot eats strawberries. Never had a problem. She also loves mango, cantaloupe, nectarine, peaches, blueberries, and really most fruit, but I would say cantaloupe is her favorite.

Oooh Sara, I got to add those to my fruit list for the babies. They will go nuts over all of them. Thanks for the ideas.
ForeverHopper
ForeverHopper

Number of posts : 301

http://www.centralfloridapugrescue.org

Back to top Go down

Post  Snifter&Toddy 3/18/2009, 9:02 am

My boys like orange but I only give them tiny amounts. In fact, like CP, they like most fruit. Blueberries are a big hit here but I have to halve them. If I give them whole they mouth them for ages and then squish them all over the floor (and we have light coloured carpets!).
Snifter&Toddy
Snifter&Toddy

Number of posts : 2071

Back to top Go down

Post  Sara 3/18/2009, 11:20 am

Snifter&Toddy wrote:My boys like orange but I only give them tiny amounts. In fact, like CP, they like most fruit. Blueberries are a big hit here but I have to halve them. If I give them whole they mouth them for ages and then squish them all over the floor (and we have light coloured carpets!).

I know what you mean about the whole blueberries, something about round things in the shape of their mouths.

I usually just squish the whole berry a bit in my fingers before giving them to her if I am feeding them one by one so they aren't round, otherwise a small handful in her food she does okay with.
Sara
Sara

Back to top Go down

Post  Erin 3/18/2009, 11:49 am

Mavis likes all fruit, but for some reason it is grapefruit that she loves, she will into the kitchen while I am cutting one up.
Erin
Erin

Number of posts : 697

Back to top Go down

Post  MommaJones 3/20/2009, 9:47 pm

Freddy Jones loves oranges. If he gets a whiff of one when he's being peeled, he'll be right there waiting for his piece. Toby finally figured out he was missing something good, and now he loves oranges too. We have a mulberry tree in our backyard. When they drop to the ground, Freddy Jones goes out there and hoovers up all the mulberries! 🐷
MommaJones
MommaJones

Number of posts : 3761

Back to top Go down

Post  LisaIzzyAggy 3/21/2009, 8:04 am

Izzy LOVES oranges. They make her go crazy. If I have one for lunch at work she can still sniff it on me when I get home.
LisaIzzyAggy
LisaIzzyAggy

Number of posts : 3001

Back to top Go down

Post  MackandMattiesMom 3/21/2009, 1:45 pm

Mack and Mattie love all fruits, including oranges. They really go crazy for bananas.
MackandMattiesMom
MackandMattiesMom

Number of posts : 2609

Back to top Go down

Post  Snifter&Toddy 3/21/2009, 1:57 pm

MommaJones wrote: We have a mulberry tree in our backyard. When they drop to the ground, Freddy Jones goes out there and hoovers up all the mulberries! 🐷

Yikes. Does that not have, er, results?

I love mulberries. There used to be a mulberry tree in a park near us and we would gather loads of them. My mother made mulberry gin for Christmas each year.
Snifter&Toddy
Snifter&Toddy

Number of posts : 2071

Back to top Go down

Post  MommaJones 3/21/2009, 2:49 pm

Snifter&Toddy wrote:
MommaJones wrote: We have a mulberry tree in our backyard. When they drop to the ground, Freddy Jones goes out there and hoovers up all the mulberries! 🐷

Yikes. Does that not have, er, results?
It doesn't seem to harm him a bit. No diarrhea, no excess poop, no vomit.
MommaJones
MommaJones

Number of posts : 3761

Back to top Go down

Post  Puglove2 3/23/2009, 12:33 am

hi sara! my pugs love oranges and most fruits! i know grapes are toxic, but oranges are fine. you should see winston's eyes when i start peeling an orange. too cute!
Puglove2
Puglove2

Number of posts : 1943

Back to top Go down

Post  Sara 3/24/2009, 5:56 pm

Puglove2 wrote:hi sara! my pugs love oranges and most fruits! i know grapes are toxic, but oranges are fine. you should see winston's eyes when i start peeling an orange. too cute!

I'd love to see that! We need Dave to take pictures.
Sara
Sara

Back to top Go down

Post  GingerSnap 3/25/2009, 10:44 pm

My guys like oranges, but whole clementines are one of Sammy's favorite things ever. It's like a combination of a treat and a toy. He'll bat it around like a ball until he softens it up enough to really get his teeth into it, they he sucks/chews and continues to play with it. This is as messy as it sounds, so it's an outside activity!
GingerSnap
GingerSnap

Number of posts : 3547

Back to top Go down

Post  Julia&Toby 4/23/2009, 11:31 pm

Toby loves all fruit, the only fruit he doesn't get is grapes/raisins. Bananas are his favorite, he loses his mind for them. Apples, oranges, and strawberries also make him nutso. I accidentally dropped a strawberry on the floor while making dinner tonight, he took it to the couch and sat admiring it for a bit before noming on it. Rolling Eyes

Julia&Toby

Number of posts : 93

Back to top Go down

Post  dieselsmom 4/24/2009, 7:37 am

Diesel is a strawberry fanatic!!!! He LOVES them. The others do too, cuz they don't want to miss out on something. They've never gotten a taste for bananas - they're not crazy about the texture of them. I don't think I've ever given oranges.
dieselsmom
dieselsmom

Number of posts : 2235

http://www.cloudk9.webs.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest 4/24/2009, 8:13 am

Bannanas are like crack in our house. If they even see one in my hand they go nuts. I've never tried oranges or strawberries, I'm off shopping today so Ill have to give them a little treat to see if they like them.

Back to top Go down

Post  Sara 4/25/2009, 12:45 pm

It's fun reading all the stories of what each of our pugs like. I think Co-Pilot has a bad habit of wanting whatever it is I have. I was just a little surprised she would palate something tart.
Sara
Sara

Back to top Go down

Post  GingerSnap 4/25/2009, 4:41 pm

Julia&Toby wrote:Toby loves all fruit, the only fruit he doesn't get is grapes/raisins. Bananas are his favorite, he loses his mind for them. Apples, oranges, and strawberries also make him nutso. I accidentally dropped a strawberry on the floor while making dinner tonight, he took it to the couch and sat admiring it for a bit before noming on it. Rolling Eyes
Now that's a pug with restraint!
GingerSnap
GingerSnap

Number of posts : 3547

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest 4/30/2009, 4:02 pm

I would have never given them oranges but since I read this I have and they were a hit. Funny to watch Vivi eat the first one she was not to sure what to think but then decided it was ok by her.

Back to top Go down

Post  sallyandtilly 4/30/2009, 6:13 pm

Tilly would love to eat oranges, but the one and only time I gave her a piece she had a reaction to it within minutes.
sallyandtilly
sallyandtilly

Number of posts : 3150

Back to top Go down

Post  Sara 5/1/2009, 1:58 pm

sallyandtilly wrote:Tilly would love to eat oranges, but the one and only time I gave her a piece she had a reaction to it within minutes.

Oh no what type of reaction did she have?

And Donna I think it's funny most of the time I have no idea of Co-Pilot TASTES the food or if it's just a case of I am eating so she wants some! The other night she gave lettuce a good shot, but just couldn't make herself like it, ha ha.
Sara
Sara

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum