Pug Authority Forum
Welcome to the Pug Authority forum!

This is a fun, supportive community of pug owners who are dedicated to sharing our experiences regarding responsible pug ownership and learning from others.

You are currently viewing the forum as guest which does not give you the same access as members. Please click the Register button below to join our community! If you are already a member, please log-in!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Pug Authority Forum
Welcome to the Pug Authority forum!

This is a fun, supportive community of pug owners who are dedicated to sharing our experiences regarding responsible pug ownership and learning from others.

You are currently viewing the forum as guest which does not give you the same access as members. Please click the Register button below to join our community! If you are already a member, please log-in!
Pug Authority Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Stings, Bites, etc.

3 posters

Go down

Stings, Bites, etc. Empty Stings, Bites, etc.

Post  Eph91 9/5/2009, 8:13 pm

After all of the drama with Wally's eye, he was winking again yesterday (he's "winked" a little after drops, but the vet told me as long as it stops, it's ok, that some of his drops are irritating at first). Long story short (of going to our old/walk-in/close vet due to unavailability of "real" vet, after calling the ophthalmologist to make sure the course of action (check for ulcer, which I was planning to do)--no ulcer/tear production fine/ but he did have a bump over his eye, and the yellow jackets or paper wasps or whatever the hell they are are out in force, so we're thinking that's why he's swollen.

He had an injection Benadryl, and she told me to give it to him every 12 hours for a week.

Wally is still swollen and it's bothering him. Is this normal for a bite or a sting? I don't have experience here.

Thanks!
Eph91
Eph91

Number of posts : 2839

Back to top Go down

Stings, Bites, etc. Empty Re: Stings, Bites, etc.

Post  papaspugs 9/5/2009, 10:37 pm

Sorry, I am not sure that I followed the whole story. Do you think that he got stung today? Or last week? If it was today, then I would think it might take 24hrs for the swelling to go down. That's just an estimate on when I've been stung on the past. And it might depend on what stung him-bee vs wasp, etc. If it's been more than just a day, I'd be concerned. I've never had this experience so I am just guessing. Does it seem like it is bothering him? Does it seem like the skin has a fever at the inflamation site?
papaspugs
papaspugs

Number of posts : 2297

Back to top Go down

Post  Eph91 9/6/2009, 7:29 am

I think whatever happened must have happened Friday, because that's when I got home and he was "winky," so we went to the vet. (The other stuff is all related to the fact that he was diagnosed w/ mild PK and is on drops, but it was a process--basically, at this point, unrelated to this, I think...)

It is still bothering him (I may have to go get a cone, as he rubs it on the floor at times) and is a little swollen. The vet said Benadryl for a week; I am going to call my regular vet Tuesday (I may even call the office that is far away today--I think someone is always there) to ask what to do if it is still bothering him. He has moments when his eye is fully open, and others when he is "winky."

As for a fever at the site...? Do you mean just that the area around the eye is extra warm? I'll check that...thanks for your help, Jana.
Eph91
Eph91

Back to top Go down

Post  papaspugs 9/6/2009, 9:44 am

Yes, I would think that if the area where you think he got stung is warm, then it most likely was a sting. Hopefully the Benadryl will help the itching soon!!!!
papaspugs
papaspugs

Number of posts : 2297

Back to top Go down

Post  Eph91 9/6/2009, 7:19 pm

Well, I called the "other" office of our "real" vet, because there is always someone there, since Wally is still winking and bothered, and they said to bring him in; so I did. Another stain, again no ucler, and the vet was a little stumped (our own vet wasn't in--he's the big boss, and this vet wasn't very experienced with PK--our vet is b/c he specializes in brachycephalic breeds) so she gave me prednisone b/c she said the insides of his eyelids look red/inflamed.

It's a puzzle. She said if it doesn't improve in 3 days to call Dr. Wilson (our own vet) or the Ophthalmologist. I hope this works!
Eph91
Eph91

Back to top Go down

Post  Pugsaunt 9/6/2009, 8:53 pm

Fingers and paws crossed for rapid improvement.
Pugsaunt
Pugsaunt

Number of posts : 6877

Back to top Go down

Post  Eph91 9/7/2009, 10:05 am

Thanks. I'm now wondering if there is an eyelash in there...I thought I saw one growing from the side, but then it disappeared on me. I'm going to try again in a bit. He's really very good about letting me look, but I have to give him a bit of a break!
Eph91
Eph91

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down