Pug Authority Forum
Welcome to the Pug Authority forum!

This is a fun, supportive community of pug owners who are dedicated to sharing our experiences regarding responsible pug ownership and learning from others.

You are currently viewing the forum as guest which does not give you the same access as members. Please click the Register button below to join our community! If you are already a member, please log-in!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Pug Authority Forum
Welcome to the Pug Authority forum!

This is a fun, supportive community of pug owners who are dedicated to sharing our experiences regarding responsible pug ownership and learning from others.

You are currently viewing the forum as guest which does not give you the same access as members. Please click the Register button below to join our community! If you are already a member, please log-in!
Pug Authority Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Leaking urine while sleeping

+2
lindarpugma
everdream
6 posters

Go down

Leaking urine while sleeping Empty Leaking urine while sleeping

Post  everdream 9/7/2009, 2:37 pm

🇳🇴 Mimi has started leaking urine in her sleep. Not just a couple dribbles. Today, I woke up to two big wet spots on the bed. One was right under her and she was still sleeping and she was wet "there". So I know she didn't intentionally go potty on the bed.

She's probably about 11 years old - a puppy mill survivor. Does anyone have any experience with this? Is there anything that can be done to help? I know that this is probably age related, but just wondering what others have experienced.
everdream
everdream

Number of posts : 28

Back to top Go down

Leaking urine while sleeping Empty Re: Leaking urine while sleeping

Post  lindarpugma 9/7/2009, 2:59 pm

I just went through this with Gracie. I took her to the vet and she did have a slight bladder infection but the vet also gave me estrogen to give to her. She is also 11. My vet said that as the females get older and don't produce as much estrogen that the opening of the bladder gets weak and they can't hold it. She gave me estrogen cream to rub on her tummy or the inside of her ear once a week and I haven't had any problems since. It cost me about $8 and is enough to give her for 20 weeks.
lindarpugma
lindarpugma

Number of posts : 593

Back to top Go down

Post  Candace 9/7/2009, 5:50 pm

I've heard the same thing, about the estrogen and older females. Hope it get solved.
Candace
Candace

Number of posts : 146

Back to top Go down

Post  Brenda 9/7/2009, 7:05 pm

I am having the same problem with my 11.5 year old male. Big wet spots. But we started him on Proin, a half a tablet a day, and it seems to be helping tremendously. No leakage at all. (knock on wood)

Dewey was found hit by a car when we got him and he has plates and bolts holding him together. (we got him a about 1.5 years old) From x-rays it seems his spine may have some damage as well and the nerves there are not working as well, too, which may be his bladder nerves. So, we're trying the Proin and it's helping!!
Brenda
Brenda

Number of posts : 2221

Back to top Go down

Post  Pugsaunt 9/7/2009, 7:42 pm

You know, with older female puggies, the estrogen thing makes all kinds of sense. I know that in humans, a lack of estrogen makes mucous membranes thinner and dryer, so there's no reason why that wouldn't be true for our female furkids. Fortunately, that hasn't happened with Penny. Yet.
Pugsaunt
Pugsaunt

Number of posts : 6877

Back to top Go down

Post  Aussie Witch 9/7/2009, 8:17 pm

You've been given some great advice Sherrie, hope it helps! There are other meds too that help with incontinence. Your vet will advise you.

With my darling old LouLou, when she got REALLY old I put her in newborn baby's nappies with a hole cut out for her tail. That really helped. And I also sometimes used a disposable incontinence pad underneath her, with a fluffly towel on top. She didn't always leak or have accidents, but we all slept better knowing we were prepared. I never wanted her to sleep anywhere but on the big bed and this was the best way.
Aussie Witch
Aussie Witch

Number of posts : 8556

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down