Pug Authority Forum
Welcome to the Pug Authority forum!

This is a fun, supportive community of pug owners who are dedicated to sharing our experiences regarding responsible pug ownership and learning from others.

You are currently viewing the forum as guest which does not give you the same access as members. Please click the Register button below to join our community! If you are already a member, please log-in!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Pug Authority Forum
Welcome to the Pug Authority forum!

This is a fun, supportive community of pug owners who are dedicated to sharing our experiences regarding responsible pug ownership and learning from others.

You are currently viewing the forum as guest which does not give you the same access as members. Please click the Register button below to join our community! If you are already a member, please log-in!
Pug Authority Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Dental without anesthesia?

4 posters

Go down

Dental without anesthesia? Empty Dental without anesthesia?

Post  Sara 9/30/2009, 4:47 pm

I discovered an adorable little doggy boutique in Temecula, CA where my parents live and we want to move....

The lady at the shop said there is a guy that comes once a month that does dental cleaning on dogs, without anesthesia. Have you heard of this?

What should I ask him before letting him go to work on Co-Pilot?

The woman at the store said he has an amazing relationship with the dogs and they love him. She said it takes him about 20 minutes total.

I figure it worth a try to avoid having CP go under. Her vet hasn't suggested a cleaning yet, but I can tell her teeth have build up on them and I figure it can't hurt. What do you all think?

Oh and he charges $85 the first time and then the maintenance cleanings are less. I am willing to pay that to try it out.
Sara
Sara

Number of posts : 4083

Back to top Go down

Dental without anesthesia? Empty Re: Dental without anesthesia?

Post  northernwitch 9/30/2009, 4:56 pm

Tank has had it done, but he's the only one of my dogs patient enough to do it. I haven't seen it done with more difficult dogs. I'd ask first and foremost what he does with dogs that won't sit still for it--does he use any drugs or meds at all and how does he restrain dogs? What does he define as a dental? If it's just tooth brushing, then 85$ is alot of money for something I can do myself. I'd ask what kind of equipment he uses.

It's a great idea and wonderful for a dog that will tolerate it, but I'd ask lots of questions.
northernwitch
northernwitch

Number of posts : 11031

http://www.pugalug.com

Back to top Go down

Post  smoochieface 9/30/2009, 5:50 pm

That's what we get done for all the boys, but we do it through our vet's office. One of the vet techs there has 2 pugs and she said the dental hygenist that comes to their office was terrific on her pugs, so I took her recommendation. Chester is 8, Bruno 7, and Leo is almost 5 and none of them have needed a traditional dental yet -- so far so good.

I agree with Blanche on asking questions. Our person charges $150 per dog so find out what service you are getting for your money. Our boys get an exam and get their teeth brushed and the plaque scraped. Ask how they restrain. Our vet tech, Jen, watched the cleanings and she said the guy we use kind of wraps their head into a little babushka wrap and it helps keep them still and safe. Also ask for a report of some kind when they are done. We've learned that Chester and Leo have great teeth and gums but Bruno has moderate plaque and some since of gingivitus (too lazy to spell check).

Overall, we're fans of the technique, with the right, qualified person.
smoochieface
smoochieface

Number of posts : 5123

Back to top Go down

Post  Sara 9/30/2009, 5:59 pm

Okay thanks pug mamas! I will ask questions and see if this is a good option for us. I really like the idea of getting cleanings before her teeth get really bad and to avoid her having to go under for them.
Sara
Sara

Back to top Go down

Post  Not Afraid 10/1/2009, 1:19 am

We do it at the store once a month. It is called Gentle Dentle and it costs $120 (but we give out coupons for $10 off). It is fantastic!!! I've only see one dog too squirmy to have it done and their teeth come out pearly white. Thurston will have his done in a few months. Kimchi just had a bit vet dental (with some extractions) but she'll get a gentle dental done next year. I give mine Oral Health supplements with their food on a daily basis which helps a great deal.
Not Afraid
Not Afraid

Number of posts : 5095

Back to top Go down

Post  Sara 10/1/2009, 2:07 am

Not Afraid wrote:We do it at the store once a month. It is called Gentle Dentle and it costs $120 (but we give out coupons for $10 off). It is fantastic!!! I've only see one dog too squirmy to have it done and their teeth come out pearly white. Thurston will have his done in a few months. Kimchi just had a bit vet dental (with some extractions) but she'll get a gentle dental done next year. I give mine Oral Health supplements with their food on a daily basis which helps a great deal.

Good to know Lisa. Do you know the qualifications of the person that does it? Do they also check for loose teeth and other dental problems? Just trying to figure out what to ask this guy.
Sara
Sara

Back to top Go down

Post  Not Afraid 10/1/2009, 12:55 pm

Sara wrote:
Not Afraid wrote:We do it at the store once a month. It is called Gentle Dentle and it costs $120 (but we give out coupons for $10 off). It is fantastic!!! I've only see one dog too squirmy to have it done and their teeth come out pearly white. Thurston will have his done in a few months. Kimchi just had a bit vet dental (with some extractions) but she'll get a gentle dental done next year. I give mine Oral Health supplements with their food on a daily basis which helps a great deal.

Good to know Lisa. Do you know the qualifications of the person that does it? Do they also check for loose teeth and other dental problems? Just trying to figure out what to ask this guy.

Our Gentle Dental person is a certified Animal Dental Hygienist. If she notices any issues that need further attention, she will bring that to your attention and suggest you visit a vet.
Not Afraid
Not Afraid

Number of posts : 5095

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down