Pug Authority Forum
Welcome to the Pug Authority forum!

This is a fun, supportive community of pug owners who are dedicated to sharing our experiences regarding responsible pug ownership and learning from others.

You are currently viewing the forum as guest which does not give you the same access as members. Please click the Register button below to join our community! If you are already a member, please log-in!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Pug Authority Forum
Welcome to the Pug Authority forum!

This is a fun, supportive community of pug owners who are dedicated to sharing our experiences regarding responsible pug ownership and learning from others.

You are currently viewing the forum as guest which does not give you the same access as members. Please click the Register button below to join our community! If you are already a member, please log-in!
Pug Authority Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

New Leptospirosis vaccine protocol?

3 posters

Go down

New Leptospirosis vaccine protocol? Empty New Leptospirosis vaccine protocol?

Post  Imon 10/12/2009, 5:52 pm

As I've posted, we had Otto at the vet's tonight for an eye checkup. The vet mentioned that he's now recommending that all dogs in the area be given the new leptospirosis vaccine.

My memory was that he'd NEVER pushed this one for pugs before, and always gave the DLP without the Lepto component. He agreed, but said there is a new vaccine now that is much safer and that they are seeing many more cases of Lepto in the northern NJ area.

I want to look into this before agreeing to the vaccine and I was wondering if any of you have heard about a new Lepto vaccine (within the past 2 years or so, I would guess).

Thanks for any info anyone might have.
Imon
Imon

Number of posts : 1898

Back to top Go down

New Leptospirosis vaccine protocol? Empty Re: New Leptospirosis vaccine protocol?

Post  leslyeb 10/12/2009, 6:13 pm

I haven't heard of a new vaccine, but I am living in an area that still does the 1 yr rabies. I've spoken to three different vets (different offices) and none of them recommend giving Lepto for small breed dogs unless it is something like a beagle who is used for hunting and is more exposed to problems.
leslyeb
leslyeb

Number of posts : 707

Back to top Go down

New Leptospirosis vaccine protocol? Empty Re: New Leptospirosis vaccine protocol?

Post  northernwitch 10/12/2009, 6:34 pm

Won't give it. Not even to my pom who eats carcass. Not safe and in my opinion, not necessary. Lepto is treatable and if Lepto were as serious as keeps being claimed urban dogs would be dying of it left, right and centre. The reality is that city dogs should, in theory, be more at risk than others given the preponderance of raccoons in urban areas. I have them in my backyard nightly and I've never had lepto in any of my dogs.

I'd ask your vet what serovars are being seen in your area and are they included in the current vaccine. The most common ones in the great lakes area (autumnalis and Bratislava) aren't in the vaccine and so I see no point in vaccinating for that reason alone.
northernwitch
northernwitch

Number of posts : 11031

http://www.pugalug.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down