Pug Authority Forum
Welcome to the Pug Authority forum!

This is a fun, supportive community of pug owners who are dedicated to sharing our experiences regarding responsible pug ownership and learning from others.

You are currently viewing the forum as guest which does not give you the same access as members. Please click the Register button below to join our community! If you are already a member, please log-in!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Pug Authority Forum
Welcome to the Pug Authority forum!

This is a fun, supportive community of pug owners who are dedicated to sharing our experiences regarding responsible pug ownership and learning from others.

You are currently viewing the forum as guest which does not give you the same access as members. Please click the Register button below to join our community! If you are already a member, please log-in!
Pug Authority Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Fia, the new girl & Sophie, the blind one

5 posters

Go down

Fia, the new girl & Sophie, the blind one Empty Fia, the new girl & Sophie, the blind one

Post  Sadie 10/23/2009, 1:55 am

I need some advice from someone who has a blind pug about living with one. Sophie at 9 & 1/2 is pretty much totally blind. It makes her very restless sometimes and she wanders around the house. I never know where she may end up. My problem is that with Sophie wandering wherever, my new girl, Fia, if she is comfortable on the couch, and Sophie wanders up looking like she is going to jump up, Fia will growl and it starts a fight. I know what's happening here. Fia is assuming a dominant roll and she is in her spot and she is not gonna let Sophie have it. In the evening when I want to relax and do things, I have to keep an eye on them both to make sure they don't cross paths because Sophie is wandering. It's driving me kinda crazy at night. Right now, I have the door closed on this room and Fia is in here with me and Sophie may or may not be on the bed. What can I do with this? It's very hard to relax when I'm worried Sophie is gonna run into a fight and I have to keep checking on them. Fia, the new girl & Sophie, the blind one Free-indifferent-smileys-746 It just takes Sophie time to settle down, when everyone's finally home. Fia gets comfy pretty fast. Do blind pugs wander like this or is there some way to stop Sophie from it? She just seems to walk around, here & there and doesn't settle down until I finally go to bed,
I would really appreciate any ideas. Fia is doing real good here and finding her routine but this is bugging me at night.

Fia, the new girl & Sophie, the blind one 9386 Fia, the new girl & Sophie, the blind one 9386 Fia, the new girl & Sophie, the blind one 9386 Fia, the new girl & Sophie, the blind one 9386 Fia, the new girl & Sophie, the blind one 9386

Sadie, at home with Sophie, Susy & Fia, taking it one day at a time
Sadie
Sadie

Number of posts : 32

Back to top Go down

Fia, the new girl & Sophie, the blind one Empty Re: Fia, the new girl & Sophie, the blind one

Post  Aussie Witch 10/23/2009, 5:45 am

Blanche is the blind pug expert around here - I'm sure she'll chime in! Sorry you're having issues.
Aussie Witch
Aussie Witch

Number of posts : 8556

Back to top Go down

Fia, the new girl & Sophie, the blind one Empty Re: Fia, the new girl & Sophie, the blind one

Post  Lilos Mom 10/23/2009, 10:03 am

Right now in my home I've got (3) who are visually impaired. One is 3/4 blind in both eyes a senior with a bit of dementia as well. Lilo who has pk covering the better part of both eyes and my new girl who is totally blind in her right eye and can only see out of the upper half of the left eye.

All three at times become very defensive due to their limitations. My new girl "Mae" has still not been totally integrated with everyone and she's been with me 2 weeks this Sunday. My senior gal "Starla" really wanders alot but will eventually settle down. One thing I would stop is Fia being allowed on the couch. If Sophie wanders up and Fia starts the growling I'd immediately put her on the floor. You may need to keep a leash on her so you have a little more control and keep her from getting to Sophie.

It sounds like Fia may have some space issues that need addressed but if your on it I think she'll soon realize that Sophie means her no harm. When Lilo is on the couch with me I have to be really careful if she's sleeping she does not like if anyone gets close to her face so I'm always very careful, but sometimes it does happen and if she snaps I immediately put her on the floor and make her wait until I invite her back on the couch with me. She has really gotten alot better knowing I'm in charge and she does'nt have to behave that way.

I think as time goes on Fia will realize Sophie means her no harm when she gets close but it takes time and patience.
Lilos Mom
Lilos Mom

Number of posts : 714

Back to top Go down

Post  TxAllieGrl 10/23/2009, 10:07 am

Angel is a wanderer. She will settle on the floor eventually, but not after exploring every inch of the living room, and bumping into everything. I have a dog bed in the living room, but she refuses to use it (the little ones love it though).

We've taken to plopping her up on the loveseat. 90% of the time she'll settle down and go to sleep, and that's the end of it. We've learned that when she gets down, she needs something - water, potty break, etc.

Would Sophie stay somewhere you put her, or do you feel she has to wander herself out before she can settle?

In my mind, I see it as Angel (and probably Sophie) taking the lay of the land and knowing where she is before she can relax.

TxAllieGrl

Number of posts : 5801

Back to top Go down

Post  Sadie 10/23/2009, 12:44 pm

Thanks. Sophie just gets real restless in the evening and really doesn't want to settle, altho I can sometimes put her in a spot and she will relax for a time. I'm at work all day, so she's probably just tired of sleeping. Fia is caged in the bedroom when I'm gone, so she really likes the couch when she can get it.Generally, like at dinner and walks, they do fine next to each other but this 'I got this spot' issue does keep me hopping for a time. I'd take Sophie for a longer walk but she doesn't like to go too far. I do need to get Fia out and about more tho. She's pretty much gotten used to avoiding Sophie most times. I'm getting good exercise tho, by running out to the living room every now and then to make sure they are not getting into a scene!
Fia has been here a month now. She's a good energetic girl and fits in pretty good. I know they should be fine eventually and it is getting better each day.
I'm still open for advice on my blind girl. It's tough. Sophie has the PK also. Never again will I not have it fixed when they are young. I just never imagined she would be pretty darn blind by 9! Fia, the new girl & Sophie, the blind one 253213

Fia, the new girl & Sophie, the blind one 441335 Fia, the new girl & Sophie, the blind one 749210 Fia, the new girl & Sophie, the blind one 441335

Sophie, at home with Sophie, Susy & Fia, still working on getting order in the troops!
Sadie
Sadie

Back to top Go down

Post  northernwitch 10/23/2009, 8:49 pm

I'd be inclined to wonder if the wandering isn't related to dementia rather than vision. Night wandering, sundowning are all early signs of CCD. I'm not saying it couldn't be her vision, but neither of my blind dogs wandered/wander.
If her vision (if she has any left) at night is worse--and it would be--it may be that she feels less sure of herself. But this feels like dementia to me.
And I'd be on top of Fia like white on rice. It was something I had to be on top of when Maude started to get dementia--fosters took advantage of her. They would try to take advantage of Hazel who is blind, but she routinely kicked their asses. If Sophie can't or won't fight back or can't fight back successfully,I would be really restricting Fia's abilities to bully her. What you're describing isn't alpha behaviour. It's bully behaviour.
northernwitch
northernwitch

Number of posts : 11031

http://www.pugalug.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sadie 11/30/2009, 11:42 pm

I'm looking for a book I've heard about about living and working/training blind dogs. I know I've heard one mentioned before. Does anyone have any information about it? I really need to have some guidance in working with Sophie. She's the problem now, poor dear, when she starts to wander. I have tried the suggestions given, from taking her out or getting her to water and also plopping her in her favorite chair and saying 'sit'. sometimes it works, sometimes I go nuts watching her and directing her. Maybe I should ask Cesar M about MY attitude and how to re-direct it! Fia, the new girl & Sophie, the blind one Icon_surprised
Thanks, and for an update, Fia is doing pretty darn good. They still aren't best buddies but we're getting closer.

Fia, the new girl & Sophie, the blind one Icon_wink Fia, the new girl & Sophie, the blind one Icon_wink Fia, the new girl & Sophie, the blind one Icon_wink Fia, the new girl & Sophie, the blind one Icon_wink Fia, the new girl & Sophie, the blind one Icon_wink
Sadie, at home watching it rain on the snow, and working hard to keep the potty-path open for my girls- Sophie, Susy & Fia
Sadie
Sadie

Back to top Go down

Post  northernwitch 12/1/2009, 12:02 am

It's called "Living with Blind Dogs" by Caroline Levin. there are also several great websites about living with blind dogs. Google Blind Dog Information and you'll get a number of helpful sites.
northernwitch
northernwitch

Number of posts : 11031

http://www.pugalug.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sadie 12/1/2009, 12:59 am

Wow! Why didn't I think of that? I have found so much information at your suggestion, and thank you so much for the book's name. I went to the blind dogs website and have marked it so I can browse thru slowly. For some reason, I never looked up any information like that. Fia, the new girl & Sophie, the blind one 6260 There sure is some good advice out there. Sophie is doing pretty good but she does have her issues that drive me crazy when I want to relax and she's up and about. Maybe now I can find an answer to my frustration. I think Sophie is adjusted well to it but it's a lot of work for me! Thanks again! Fia, the new girl & Sophie, the blind one Icon_biggrin

Fia, the new girl & Sophie, the blind one 335895 Fia, the new girl & Sophie, the blind one 78340 Fia, the new girl & Sophie, the blind one 335895 Fia, the new girl & Sophie, the blind one 78340

Sadie, at home, with Sophie, Susy & Fia, staying warm and cozy and happy!
Sadie
Sadie

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down