Pug Authority Forum
Welcome to the Pug Authority forum!

This is a fun, supportive community of pug owners who are dedicated to sharing our experiences regarding responsible pug ownership and learning from others.

You are currently viewing the forum as guest which does not give you the same access as members. Please click the Register button below to join our community! If you are already a member, please log-in!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Pug Authority Forum
Welcome to the Pug Authority forum!

This is a fun, supportive community of pug owners who are dedicated to sharing our experiences regarding responsible pug ownership and learning from others.

You are currently viewing the forum as guest which does not give you the same access as members. Please click the Register button below to join our community! If you are already a member, please log-in!
Pug Authority Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hey Rescue people, I'm writing an article and need your input

+3
pugpillow
papaspugs
Pugsavers
7 posters

Go down

Hey Rescue people, I'm writing an article and need your input Empty Hey Rescue people, I'm writing an article and need your input

Post  Pugsavers 11/11/2009, 9:30 pm

I got an email soliciting ads for a show dog publication that is focusing on pugs in a coming issue. Of course I asked them if they were offering free ads for rescues (hey, can't hurt to ask), instead they offered to let me write an article on rescue :-).

So what would you like me to point out in the article? I'm going to post about how the economy is hurting rescues with more dogs and less money, but give me other ideas! This is for pug rescue in general.
Pugsavers
Pugsavers

Number of posts : 1541

Back to top Go down

Hey Rescue people, I'm writing an article and need your input Empty Re: Hey Rescue people, I'm writing an article and need your input

Post  papaspugs 11/11/2009, 9:49 pm

This is going to be pretty vague, but what about something in the effect: "due to the economy, people are having to give up their pugs because of financial hardships. Pugs come from a variety of sources, owner surrender, strays, shelters, etc and come into rescue in a variety of conditions from perfectly healthy to extreamly sick." Sometimes when I talk to people they think that all pugs in rescue are old and sick. NOT!!! I'll think on it some more.
papaspugs
papaspugs

Number of posts : 2297

Back to top Go down

Hey Rescue people, I'm writing an article and need your input Empty Re: Hey Rescue people, I'm writing an article and need your input

Post  pugpillow 11/11/2009, 9:53 pm

I'd like to see something to dispel the opinion some people have that rescue dogs are inferior or come with emotional/behavioural baggage. And the fact that most dogs are fantastic at adapting really quick and "living in the moment". And finally, that getting any dog, whether through rescue or otherwise should be for what the human can do for the dog, not the other way around (the same reason as people should have for having children).
pugpillow
pugpillow

Number of posts : 944

Back to top Go down

Post  couchpugs 11/11/2009, 10:54 pm

Also , rescue dogs are not given away.. the donation people make goes towards future Vet bills. I know CFPR is relatively small compared to some other rescues. We have been running an average of 1,500 - 2,000 a month for just our vets. this year.

Now we did have 2 pugs that cost us about $4000 a piece this year too...
couchpugs
couchpugs

Number of posts : 221

Back to top Go down

Post  northernwitch 11/12/2009, 1:41 am

Good for you, Roxane!! Glad you asked. Maybe a small plug for the older dog? The joy that a senior can bring?
Maybe some discussion about thinking seriously about adopting a dog, any dog--rescue to not. That they aren't exchangeable like a sweater that isn't in style any more.
northernwitch
northernwitch

Number of posts : 11031

http://www.pugalug.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Brenda 11/12/2009, 11:08 am

How awesome!! I was going to say about adopting seniors too. What about how this breed has become so popular due to so much media hype (Men in Black, commercials etc) and how much busier that makes rescues when people get them for the wrong reasons. And how the same thing makes all the idiot breeders breed more pugs and we end up with all the ones with all the horrible health problems.
Brenda
Brenda

Number of posts : 2221

Back to top Go down

Post  Pugsavers 11/12/2009, 12:05 pm

Excellent ideas! If you have any more, keep forwarding them...I have 2 weeks to get the article done.
Thanks everyone!!
Pugsavers
Pugsavers

Number of posts : 1541

Back to top Go down

Post  Lilos Mom 11/13/2009, 7:18 pm

How about people coming to rescue thinking their going to get a cheap Pug and complaining that our adoption fees are too high. Maybe highlight all the necessary medical and cost that goes into a rescue Pug before their even ready to be adopted and the fact that in most cases the rescue does'nt even come close to breaking even.
Lilos Mom
Lilos Mom

Number of posts : 714

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down