Pug Authority Forum
Welcome to the Pug Authority forum!

This is a fun, supportive community of pug owners who are dedicated to sharing our experiences regarding responsible pug ownership and learning from others.

You are currently viewing the forum as guest which does not give you the same access as members. Please click the Register button below to join our community! If you are already a member, please log-in!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Pug Authority Forum
Welcome to the Pug Authority forum!

This is a fun, supportive community of pug owners who are dedicated to sharing our experiences regarding responsible pug ownership and learning from others.

You are currently viewing the forum as guest which does not give you the same access as members. Please click the Register button below to join our community! If you are already a member, please log-in!
Pug Authority Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ivermectin

+9
Puggered
Pugsaunt
couchpugs
TxAllieGrl
BDazzpugs
Aussie Witch
northernwitch
papaspugs
MackandMattiesMom
13 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Ivermectin Empty Ivermectin

Post  MackandMattiesMom 1/2/2010, 9:58 am

Sue-Shi is on Ivermectin for her mange and she isn't eating. How long should I let her go before getting worried? I even tried adding salmon oil to her food, which she normally can't resist, and she still won't eat. Other than her lack of appetite, there are no other side effects.
MackandMattiesMom
MackandMattiesMom

Number of posts : 2609

Back to top Go down

Ivermectin Empty Re: Ivermectin

Post  papaspugs 1/2/2010, 11:01 am

It is a side effect, but I can imagine that is is worrisome for a pug not to be interested in food.

Side effects most commonly seen with ivermectin are:

•depression
•lethargy
•vomiting
•diarrhea
•lack of appetite
•incoordination
•seizures
•excessive salivation
Ivermectin should not be used in high dosages with valium or tranquilizers related to valium, amitraz dips, collars or topical treatments, or Comfortis®️ due to the potential of adverse drug interactions.

http://petproducts.suite101.com/article.cfm/ivermectin_for_dogs
papaspugs
papaspugs

Number of posts : 2297

Back to top Go down

Post  MackandMattiesMom 1/2/2010, 11:08 am

Thanks, I looked it up too. I think when they gave her the dose last night at the vet, they knocked a tooth loose or something. She fought them trying to get the syringe in her mouth last night.

She was acting interested in her food and would pick up her kibble and spit it out. I moistened it with some water and she ate it when it got soft.

I sure hope this does the trick. These skin scrapings are no fun. She's on Ivermectin and antibiotics now. Poor baby.
MackandMattiesMom
MackandMattiesMom

Back to top Go down

Post  papaspugs 1/2/2010, 11:09 am

Poor little black angel!!! Hopefully since it is a baby tooth it will just fall out.
papaspugs
papaspugs

Number of posts : 2297

Back to top Go down

Post  northernwitch 1/2/2010, 11:16 am

Sabra:
Try baby food. It's rarely failed me. I use jarred chicken or jarred beef.

When I had Jem here, I mixed the ivermectin in with his food and no problems. He started out on a very small dose for 3 days and then it was increased by .1 mls every three days to a maximum of .6 mls.
northernwitch
northernwitch

Number of posts : 11031

http://www.pugalug.com

Back to top Go down

Post  MackandMattiesMom 1/2/2010, 12:25 pm

I made sure to ask if we could mix it with her food. No way was I going to struggle with her like they did last night. I was relieved to know it was okay. I figured I'd mix it with a bit of yogurt. Thanks for the advice, Blanche.

It was a rough night last night. They had to do an emergency c-section while we were there and the dog lost 6 puppies, which they carried out in a Ziploc bag to put someplace. Two little adorable puppies lived. The poor momma was so sick to her stomach after the c-section. It was just sad.
MackandMattiesMom
MackandMattiesMom

Back to top Go down

Post  Aussie Witch 1/2/2010, 1:31 pm

Hope you can get her sorted Sabra, and she gets better soon!

How sad about the other dog.......
Aussie Witch
Aussie Witch

Number of posts : 8556

Back to top Go down

Post  BDazzpugs 1/2/2010, 2:40 pm

Sabra what dosage of Iver. do they have her one? and how often? Also, did the vet suggest the use of Promeris instead? We have had AMAZING and super fast results with the use of it in rescue. It is a topical that would replace her monthly flea prevention. Best of all it is only once a month, and it costs a tad bit more than frontline or advantix, but it is a catch all. Might be something you want to look into if you need something a bit easier on her tummy. Ivermectin is very bitter in taste and is given best when soaked with a piece of bread or followed by bread or cheese. My guys hate it, but they are used to it now since that is what I use for my heartworm prevention.
BDazzpugs
BDazzpugs

Number of posts : 1286

Back to top Go down

Post  MackandMattiesMom 1/2/2010, 2:53 pm

Sarina, I actually had already ordered ProMeris because I saw you recommended it to someone else. They said to give her 0.1 ml Ivermectin once daily until it is gone. They didn't give me very much of it at all. The ProMeris should be in today's mail. Should I just use that and stop the Ivermectin? I want whatever is going to clear this crap up quickest and is the least toxic.

I'm so confused that my head is spinning. I've been trying everything and thought it was under control. It was just on her head and her hair was growing back nicely. Then she just had a horrible outbreak all on her legs, neck, and stomach.

They also said to bathe her daily in Selsum Blue and leave it on for 10 minutes. I've also been given a protocol from someone trustworthy that says to use Aveeno Colloidal Oatmeal soak. I'm thinking of doing the Selsum Blue one day and Aveeno soak the next. She's so itchy and that's the biggest problem right now. She can't wear an e-collar because it irritates the mange on her neck.

She's also on Clavamox 62.5 mg tablets twice a day for 14 days.

Called & talked to Sarina. We're going to stop the Ivermectin and just do the ProMeris. We bought T/Gel to bathe her with.

Just thought I'd update if anyone needed info for future reference. Thanks for the help, Sarina.
MackandMattiesMom
MackandMattiesMom

Back to top Go down

Post  northernwitch 1/2/2010, 4:25 pm

Hope the Promeris works for her, Sabra. Poor little muffin.
northernwitch
northernwitch

Back to top Go down

Post  TxAllieGrl 1/2/2010, 5:43 pm

I would think the Oatmeal bath would help with her itchies. No clue about using it with the Selsum Blue or instead of.

Hopefully you can find something that works Sabra!! Poor little monkey.

TxAllieGrl

Number of posts : 5801

Back to top Go down

Post  MackandMattiesMom 1/2/2010, 5:58 pm

I got the T/Gel that's for extreme itchiness and so far it seems to have soothed her. Fun trying to keep her warm for 10 minutes while it sits on her. She's being so good with all of this. I feel horrible for her. I need to dig out my space heater, she was shivering in the tub and I had it very warm in the house. I didn't even think to put the heater in there. I so hope this stays away once we get it cleared up. It's been a heck of a battle.
MackandMattiesMom
MackandMattiesMom

Back to top Go down

Post  northernwitch 1/2/2010, 6:18 pm

MackandMattiesMom wrote:I got the T/Gel that's for extreme itchiness and so far it seems to have soothed her. Fun trying to keep her warm for 10 minutes while it sits on her. She's being so good with all of this. I feel horrible for her. I need to dig out my space heater, she was shivering in the tub and I had it very warm in the house. I didn't even think to put the heater in there. I so hope this stays away once we get it cleared up. It's been a heck of a battle.
Yeah=--it's no fun when they have to keep that stuff on. Try it in December/January in Canada--it's brutal with Tank as he has relatively thick fur and it takes forever to dry--I use the hair dryer on him so he can go out to pee in the -17 weather without instantly becoming an icicle

Demodex is either easy or hard--never seems to be a middle ground. Sorry for you and Sue-Shi that it is not clearing up on it's own with a little immune support. You may have already checked this out, but find out how long it takes the ivermectin to clear her system before you can safely apply the Promeris.

Let us know how she does.
northernwitch
northernwitch

Back to top Go down

Post  couchpugs 1/2/2010, 6:41 pm

I was going to suggest asking your vet about Promeris. I used it on Mickey and with in a few weeks he had massive hair growth. It was wonderful.. I now have Jasper who I got Christmas Eve. He has had his first dose of it and i can see an improvement already. This stuff is fantastic. The Ivermec works but takes soooo long.. plus they hate it !! From now on any Pug with demodex that comes to CFPR we will be using the Promeris on them..

It is a bit stinky as you put it on but it goes away fairly fast.

I just read all the posts.... Don't bath her anytime soon after the promeris... actually I never bath my guys ... well almost never... Chaplin is yeasty so he gets the Malasab baths. Actually our DOC said not to bath them...

You adding vit.E,flaxseed oil and olive oil to her food? these boost her system well too.
couchpugs
couchpugs

Number of posts : 221

Back to top Go down

Post  MackandMattiesMom 1/2/2010, 7:07 pm

I've been adding all of that to her food, Wendi. And it was under control or so I thought until this past week, she had a huge outbreak. It just came on so quickly and her head was healing up nicely with just the immune boost I was doing.

She's had a lot of changes since she's been with us, but we're settled now and into a routine so hopefully no more stressors for her. I think maybe the move to the new house and being off her normal routine might have triggered this last episode.

Thanks for all the help and advice, it's really overwhelming at times trying to make sure I'm doing the right thing.
MackandMattiesMom
MackandMattiesMom

Back to top Go down

Post  Pugsaunt 1/2/2010, 8:02 pm

No advice, we've not had to deal with it, but still, huge hugs to Sue-Shi and to you, Sabra! Ivermectin 335895 Ivermectin 27965
Pugsaunt
Pugsaunt

Number of posts : 6877

Back to top Go down

Post  Puggered 1/2/2010, 8:39 pm

Hugs to you and vibes for a quick heal.

It is interesting to me watching this thread, I have only just heard about the amitraz topical treatment and it is good to hear that it has been used on Pugs with no ill effects. I know there have been pugs with neurological disorders from the amitraz dips so I was quite hesitant when I heard of the ProMeris, which contains amitraz.

Last edited by Puggered on 1/2/2010, 8:40 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : TYPO)
Puggered
Puggered

Number of posts : 1517

Back to top Go down

Post  northernwitch 1/2/2010, 8:45 pm

Puggered wrote:Hugs to you and vibes for a quick heal.

It is interesting to me watching this thread, I have only just heard about the amitraz topical treatment and it is good to hear that it has been used on Pugs with no ill effects. I know there have been pugs with neurological disorders from the amitraz dips so I was quite hesitant when I heard of the ProMeris, which contains amitraz.
Honestly, they all have potential side effects. I did a ton of research when I had Jem in foster care and there wasn't one that didn't have some possible side effects. Some work for some dogs and some don't. We were lucky and the ivermectin worked for Jem. He had been on Advantage Multi--which is topical and it didn't do squat for him. And he had a very advanced case of demodex. I was a bit anxious about the ivermectin, but we were careful and slow (and he was older than Sue-Shi which helps) and it really did the trick.

The big thing to watch for with the topical stuff is that the other dogs can't lick it off or the dog herself can't lick it off--that seems to be where alot of the side effects come from--ingesting it.
northernwitch
northernwitch

Back to top Go down

Post  TNPUGMOMOF3 1/3/2010, 3:20 pm

Hank had bad mange and the Promeris worked wonders on him and on my black foster girl Zoe. I like not having them injest anything and within just a couple weeks there was a huge change. I got Hank the first week of Oct and by Xmas he was luxurious!!!!
TNPUGMOMOF3
TNPUGMOMOF3

Number of posts : 1982

Back to top Go down

Post  MackandMattiesMom 1/3/2010, 11:11 pm

So, what about the spots that she's lost fur? Is it okay to put Bag Balm on it or just leave it alone? It's mainly her chest and neck. I want to get it healed up so it's not so itchy for her. Her skin is really rough there and I'm trying to keep her from scratching it.
MackandMattiesMom
MackandMattiesMom

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest 1/4/2010, 6:34 pm

sending lots of positive pug vibes your way for her to get well soon! I hope that he appetite picks up soon. How much longer is she on the meds for? hope she will be well soon.... Ivermectin 609723

Back to top Go down

Post  TNPUGMOMOF3 1/4/2010, 6:41 pm

I just gave a diet supplement to help boost the immune system. It's at Petco and Petsmart, but I will have to get the name of it from home. I never did anything to the skin for either of them as the Promeris is topical and I didn't want to mess with it's effectivemness. I would give something like Temaril P for itching on a temp basis till she heals.
TNPUGMOMOF3
TNPUGMOMOF3

Number of posts : 1982

Back to top Go down

Post  MackandMattiesMom 1/4/2010, 7:17 pm

She's still not eating much. I'm going to bathe her tomorrow again. I've been wiping her down. She's scratching at her head and making it bleed. She can't wear an e-collar because of her neck being raw too. I just don't know what to do to help her. I've been giving her immune boost with her food every other day as I was directed. I just want the itchiness to stop so she can heal.

I only gave her the Promeris once, it's a monthly thing. I don't think I'll give it to her again as she's had a few side effects from it such as shaking her head and lethargy. That didn't come on until we put the Promeris on her and from what I've found it's pretty common. Loss of appetite has been common too, but that came on prior to the Promeris.

How long does this itchiness last? If I could get her relief from that, she would be okay, but she's tearing herself up scratching.
MackandMattiesMom
MackandMattiesMom

Back to top Go down

Post  Puggered 1/4/2010, 9:50 pm

MackandMattiesMom wrote:
How long does this itchiness last? If I could get her relief from that, she would be okay, but she's tearing herself up scratching.

Is there a product someone can recommend that you can bathe her in to give temporary relief?
If you were in Australia I would recommend an Aloe Vera soap-free shampoo designed to soothe itching, but I have no idea if you have it over there...
Puggered
Puggered

Number of posts : 1517

Back to top Go down

Post  MackandMattiesMom 1/4/2010, 9:58 pm

I was told to bathe her with T/Gel shampoo and I purchased the kind for severe itchiness, but it didn't really help her. I can't bathe her again until tomorrow due to having put the Promeris on her. I need to allow it time to absorb into her system.

I'm going to try some Bag Balm ointment when my husband gets home so he can hold her for me while I apply it. Hopefully that will work. She's just so sad and that's not like her at all.
MackandMattiesMom
MackandMattiesMom

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next