Pug Authority Forum
Welcome to the Pug Authority forum!

This is a fun, supportive community of pug owners who are dedicated to sharing our experiences regarding responsible pug ownership and learning from others.

You are currently viewing the forum as guest which does not give you the same access as members. Please click the Register button below to join our community! If you are already a member, please log-in!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Pug Authority Forum
Welcome to the Pug Authority forum!

This is a fun, supportive community of pug owners who are dedicated to sharing our experiences regarding responsible pug ownership and learning from others.

You are currently viewing the forum as guest which does not give you the same access as members. Please click the Register button below to join our community! If you are already a member, please log-in!
Pug Authority Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Imi's tail is drooping.

+15
Renee
Sara
Katie & Stella
Saira
Snifter&Toddy
H the P
DappleDoxieStaff
Rebecca and the Pugs
Not Afraid
Imon
papaspugs
northernwitch
smoochieface
LisaIzzyAggy
Aussie Witch
19 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Imi's tail is drooping. Empty Imi's tail is drooping.

Post  Aussie Witch 2/10/2010, 3:52 pm

Yesterday when I left the house her tail was in its usual tightly curled position and when I returned I noticed it was floppy and drooping. First thought, of course, was some sort of injury, but she was her usual bouncy self, went mad during dinny prep and ate with her usual gusto. I put in a call to my vet but as everything else seemed AOK (and under his direction she didn't have any pain responses along her back) so we're taking a 48 hour "wait and see" and then will have her off for a check-up. She's fine again this morning - everything normal, just a big ol' droopy tail.

Anyone had any experience? Can we have some thoughts for a tightly-curled tail again please, with nothing majorly wrong?
Aussie Witch
Aussie Witch

Number of posts : 8556

Back to top Go down

Imi's tail is drooping. Empty Re: Imi's tail is drooping.

Post  LisaIzzyAggy 2/10/2010, 4:01 pm

I'm sorry Rona, there's nothing worse than a droopy tailed pug especially if you don't know the reason. I hope Imi's tail it curly again soon.
LisaIzzyAggy
LisaIzzyAggy

Number of posts : 3001

Back to top Go down

Post  smoochieface 2/10/2010, 4:09 pm

Sending positive vibes for return of the curly tail.

We went through something like this with Leo, even though he never had a tightly curled tail. His tail is more like a labrador tail and used to be up most of the time sitting on his back. Shortly after Logan was born, it started to point down as much as it pointed up. It's been almost two years now and the tail is still pretty much the same. It's always up when he's happy or excited, but now its "relaxed" state is more often down than up. I don't know if it was emotional or what? But he's been the picture of health for the last two years so we just put it down to the fact that maybe he's a bit discontent that he's no longer the baby of the family. Who knows.
smoochieface
smoochieface

Number of posts : 5123

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest 2/10/2010, 4:50 pm

Only lately Vivian's tail has been a bit droopy but I really have no clue.
My fosters tail is pretty much perma droop, except when I talk to her then she gets all happy, sorry I don't have an answer.

Back to top Go down

Post  northernwitch 2/10/2010, 5:29 pm

Sometimes I think pugs--especially the older ones--just find it too much work to keep the tail up. Bob's used to droop--and we never really found much of a reason for it except it was too much work to keep it up. Some times it's a sign of arthritis, some times it's a sign of needing to reposition the tail for balance.

Some times I think it's just to keep us on our toes......
northernwitch
northernwitch

Number of posts : 11031

http://www.pugalug.com

Back to top Go down

Post  papaspugs 2/10/2010, 5:33 pm

northernwitch wrote:Some times I think it's just to keep us on our toes......

Because if the vet's bank accounts aren't happy our pugs aren't happy! LOL!

Does she curl it when you talk to her? Or is it perma droop? Baby Girl's tail only comes up occasionally, but she was 9 when she came to us.

Keep us posted, I am interested in how things turn out.
papaspugs
papaspugs

Number of posts : 2297

Back to top Go down

Post  Imon 2/10/2010, 5:42 pm

Have there been any changes to her routine, Rona? Or any storms in the area? Otto doesn't have a particularly tight tail curl, but what he has does droop if he's perturbed or concerned or apprehensive about anything. Even on our walks, as we get closer to home, the tail curl gets tighter.

Here's hoping it's nothing at all serious and that she'll be curled as usual very soon.
Imon
Imon

Number of posts : 1898

Back to top Go down

Post  Aussie Witch 2/10/2010, 7:35 pm

Thanks everyone.

It's just so odd that it went from tight, double-curled perfection to flaccid droop from when I left in the morning to when I returned about 4 hours later. Everything else is completely normal. I just gave her and Pearl some treats which usually results in everything at attention and in full focus mode (which she was) except for one droopy tail. And they both wolfed down the treats.

Yes, my vet is opening up the cash register that goes "ker-ching" and warming up the machines that go "ping" for an expensive battery of tests, all which will probably reveal nought.
Aussie Witch
Aussie Witch

Back to top Go down

Post  northernwitch 2/10/2010, 7:43 pm

I find that as soon as I've made the appt and walked in the door, all symptoms magically disappear......

And once the credit card is out and in use--presto-change-o--cured pug.
northernwitch
northernwitch

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest 2/10/2010, 8:09 pm

sending lots of positive vibes for the curled tail to return!

Back to top Go down

Post  Not Afraid 2/11/2010, 12:41 am

The only time I ever see a straight tail on Thurston is when he's sleeping. I call it his "battery indicator" telling me his battery needs recharging.
Not Afraid
Not Afraid

Number of posts : 5095

Back to top Go down

Post  Rebecca and the Pugs 2/11/2010, 12:45 am

Not Afraid wrote:The only time I ever see a straight tail on Thurston is when he's sleeping. I call it his "battery indicator" telling me his battery needs recharging.
That is what I used to say about Clara's too. Whenever she was tired, it would go straight. She had a big loop tail, so it didn't take much to go straight.
Rebecca and the Pugs
Rebecca and the Pugs

Number of posts : 2936

Back to top Go down

Post  DappleDoxieStaff 2/11/2010, 1:54 am

Likely not relevant a bit ... but -

Labs have very, very busy tails. Always on the move. But there is a very real condition called Limp Tail. Usually in a dog that has been exercised and crated. Baxter had it once for no reason or explanation I could discern. The answer was rest and aspirin and treats and hugs.

Our hugs to Miss Imi ... for KC would not want his precious Pearl upset by her companion being ill or injured in any way!! :::smooches to Pearl, of course:::
DappleDoxieStaff
DappleDoxieStaff

Number of posts : 787

http://dappledoxiestaff.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Aussie Witch 2/11/2010, 3:12 am

Imi is revelling in all the attention coming from the North, but alas, still her tail is still a-droop.

And yes Blanche, I think a walk into the vet's would see an instantaneous recovery.
Aussie Witch
Aussie Witch

Back to top Go down

Post  H the P 2/11/2010, 7:35 am

Poor Imi. How worrying for you, Rona. Good thoughts for the tail to be curled again soon - preferably before the vet visit! Imi's tail is drooping. 335895

H the P

Number of posts : 1241

Back to top Go down

Post  Snifter&Toddy 2/11/2010, 2:33 pm

Imi - curl that tail. Or Pearl might tie it in a knot!

Hope all is well, Rona. Let me have details of your vet practice - I should like to buy shares in it.
Snifter&Toddy
Snifter&Toddy

Number of posts : 2071

Back to top Go down

Post  Saira 2/11/2010, 7:52 pm

Hope imi's tail goes back to normal soon! hug dog
Saira
Saira

Number of posts : 8302

http://www.rescuepugs.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Katie & Stella 2/11/2010, 11:45 pm

Poor droopy girl! Stella's was uncurled for a few days after her nares/ESP surgery and it was just the saddest thing. Hope she "springs" back soon.
Katie & Stella
Katie & Stella

Number of posts : 1248

Back to top Go down

Post  Sara 2/12/2010, 1:53 pm

Oh no! Poor Imi! I think she just wants to go to the vet, crazy girl.

I hope her tail perks up soon!
Sara
Sara

Number of posts : 4083

Back to top Go down

Post  Renee 2/12/2010, 10:25 pm

All three of our pugs get a droopy tail when they aren't feeling good...or if they misbehaved. But, some have a tighter coiled tail than others. Our rescue Skeeter has never really had a tightly curled tail.

My guys just had their teeth cleaned yesterday (Yikes!), and so they have droopy tails because they are feeling down.

I hope you find out what it is....but, she could just be developing a more relaxed tail.
Renee
Renee

Number of posts : 5694

http://www.polarpug.org

Back to top Go down

Post  Eph91 2/13/2010, 7:16 pm

How is she now? Did you see the vet? I have no answers, but am sending wishes that the tail is just tired!
Eph91
Eph91

Number of posts : 2839

Back to top Go down

Post  Pugsaunt 2/13/2010, 8:08 pm

Penny's tail has been droopy of late. It springs up into its normal half-curl when she is chasing evil trucks away or threatening larger dogs or getting treats. So we went to the dogtor today for her Adequan injection and Rimadyl refill. Yup, the instant she walked in the door, tail up and wagging like crazy. She loves everyone at the dogtor's and enjoys all the attention and loving that gets showered on her. She goes into the back and gets her injection and butt-juice check, comes back out with tail up, we leave, and the tail stays up. It's down now because I've not been paying attention to her, I've been cleaning the garage. I give up. Imi's tail is drooping. Icon_rolleyes
Pugsaunt
Pugsaunt

Number of posts : 6877

Back to top Go down

Post  Aussie Witch 2/13/2010, 8:35 pm

Thanks everyone. Still down, but as she is otherwise so perfectly normal I know that a visit to the vet is gonna reveal nothing. She is putting it up a bit more so I'll give it time. She does wag it a lot, just a lower wag. They do worry us and seem to revel in doing so, don't they?
Aussie Witch
Aussie Witch

Back to top Go down

Post  northernwitch 2/13/2010, 8:43 pm

She's channeling her inner labrador.
northernwitch
northernwitch

Back to top Go down

Post  Kizzypug 2/16/2010, 5:18 am

Nothing more pathetic than a Pug with a droopy tail, bet Imi is milking the situation, although Uncle Cecil has had a droopy tail for some time now, I put his down to his back problems.

Kizzypug

Number of posts : 10

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next