Pug Authority Forum
Welcome to the Pug Authority forum!

This is a fun, supportive community of pug owners who are dedicated to sharing our experiences regarding responsible pug ownership and learning from others.

You are currently viewing the forum as guest which does not give you the same access as members. Please click the Register button below to join our community! If you are already a member, please log-in!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Pug Authority Forum
Welcome to the Pug Authority forum!

This is a fun, supportive community of pug owners who are dedicated to sharing our experiences regarding responsible pug ownership and learning from others.

You are currently viewing the forum as guest which does not give you the same access as members. Please click the Register button below to join our community! If you are already a member, please log-in!
Pug Authority Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Requesting Opinion re black pugs vs fawn pugs

+12
Maryjo
puglover22
LisaIzzyAggy
PugLady3
Saira
Amanda
ayleash
northernwitch
MommaJones
Aussie Witch
Pugsavers
smoochieface
16 posters

Go down

Requesting Opinion re black pugs vs fawn pugs Empty Requesting Opinion re black pugs vs fawn pugs

Post  Guest 3/11/2010, 2:07 am

Having raised two beautiful fawn pugs, I find myself daydreaming about getting a black pug someday. My partner is dead set against it, saying that black pugs have more health problems, due to some sort of genetic vulnerability. Can anyone offer any advice or information on this topic? Thanks!

Back to top Go down

Requesting Opinion re black pugs vs fawn pugs Empty Re: Requesting Opinion re black pugs vs fawn pugs

Post  smoochieface 3/11/2010, 2:22 am

I have only had fawns so no personal experience. However, I believe that black pugs are more likely to be single-coated and the single-coated pugs do shed slightly less than the double-coated pugs.
smoochieface
smoochieface

Number of posts : 5123

Back to top Go down

Requesting Opinion re black pugs vs fawn pugs Empty Re: Requesting Opinion re black pugs vs fawn pugs

Post  Pugsavers 3/11/2010, 2:38 am

I have never heard of any "genetic" issue with black pugs vs. fawns. I have seen literally many hundreds of pugs through 14 years of rescue and the only reason there are not as many black pugs vs. fawn is that they historically do not do as well in the show ring.

Personally, I LOVE the black pug boy personality (the females tend to be diva's, the boys are total snuggle bugs).

I'd ask your partner where on earth they got that information.
Pugsavers
Pugsavers

Number of posts : 1541

Back to top Go down

Post  Aussie Witch 3/11/2010, 3:45 am

In over 40 years experience with pugs, I have ever heard of this. Ask for scientific data to back it up.
Aussie Witch
Aussie Witch

Number of posts : 8556

Back to top Go down

Post  MommaJones 3/11/2010, 7:29 am

I have 2 black male pugs who are (knock on wood) pretty healthy. They are the light of my life and currently both snuggled on my lap with the laptop balanced on the arm of my chair.
MommaJones
MommaJones

Number of posts : 3761

Back to top Go down

Post  northernwitch 3/11/2010, 7:35 am

Bull roar on the more prone to genetic issues. Never ever heard that.

They do seem to have more attitude than the fawns and seem to be busier than the fawns. There are exceptions to that, obviously. But every black I've had in foster care has been hilariously (and sometimes, maddeningly) naughty.

Personally, I prefer the fawns, but it's not that I don't like the blacks. I just love the look of the fawns and have always had a fondness for them.
northernwitch
northernwitch

Number of posts : 11031

http://www.pugalug.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest 3/11/2010, 8:08 am

I have one of each, my black boy has no more or less health issues than my fawn, if anything my fawn has been to the vets way more.
I have never heard of that theory.

Back to top Go down

Post  ayleash 3/11/2010, 8:51 am

northernwitch wrote:... I just love the look of the fawns and have always had a fondness for them.

You mean a "fawnedness"!! LOL

I do thing my black female is a diva... and a busy body.. and she is my pack's "alpha" - a bully even tho she is not the largest, nor the oldest, nor the youngest, nor the first to arrive... she just insists on being in charge.

No additional health issues whatsoever... and she does shed less than my fawn.

Here ends my report from the trenches.
ayleash
ayleash

Number of posts : 1496

Back to top Go down

Post  Amanda 3/11/2010, 9:27 am

My first pug was a male fawn and was an absolute doll! I think I still have the biggest fondness for the fawn boys but I now have 2 girls. One black, one fawn. Knock on wood, both have been relatively healthy. Nell (black) is now 8 and Lucy is 4. Nell has had chronic allergy issues and now at 8 is starting to have some knee issues but otherwise, we've been lucky. Lucy has also not had any major health issues. Nell is my first black but she is definitely a diva and naughty. She's also terribly smart which is likely what contributes to her naughtiness. Kind of like a kid who gets in trouble in school and it's because they're bored.
Amanda
Amanda

Number of posts : 6990

http://www.pugauthority.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest 3/11/2010, 10:44 am

Maybe the blacks are less prone to abuse? LOL I have 9 rescues, and all are fawns, not any preference, just that is how they came. I would love a black one, but 9 is enough for now.

Back to top Go down

Post  Saira 3/11/2010, 10:46 am

Pugsavers wrote:I have never heard of any "genetic" issue with black pugs vs. fawns. I have seen literally many hundreds of pugs through 14 years of rescue and the only reason there are not as many black pugs vs. fawn is that they historically do not do as well in the show ring.

Personally, I LOVE the black pug boy personality (the females tend to be diva's, the boys are total snuggle bugs).

Yes, agree with all this. I have 2 black pugs, and 1 fawn. We have seen a mix of fawn and black in rescue and haven't ever heard or seen more more issues with black pugs. I have a huge weakness for the black pugs too, my little boy is the biggest cuddler in the world.

The little girl, Sophie, is a naughty busy body, so the theory that black pugs are naughtier might have some truth in it... Laughing
Saira
Saira

Number of posts : 8302

http://www.rescuepugs.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Amanda 3/11/2010, 11:20 am

PUGSMUM wrote:Maybe the blacks are less prone to abuse? LOL

LESS prone to abuse? I've threatened to sell Nell to circus many more times than Lucy! Requesting Opinion re black pugs vs fawn pugs Icon_lol
Amanda
Amanda

Number of posts : 6990

http://www.pugauthority.com

Back to top Go down

Post  PugLady3 3/11/2010, 11:26 am

I have to agree with the others - black = more health issues? Nope. More naughty/bossy? Definitely! Requesting Opinion re black pugs vs fawn pugs Icon_biggrin Bella is our only black pug but we've had several black fosters. Bella was a puppymill rescue but is probably the healthiest of the bunch (knock wood!).
PugLady3
PugLady3

Number of posts : 2562

http://www.northernillinoispugrescue.org

Back to top Go down

Post  LisaIzzyAggy 3/11/2010, 12:22 pm

I agree with everyone on the health issues. However, Izzy takes exception to black girls being more naughty/bossy. She says she's fawn and has yet to meet the pug who can out naughty her. Requesting Opinion re black pugs vs fawn pugs Icon_biggrin
LisaIzzyAggy
LisaIzzyAggy

Number of posts : 3001

Back to top Go down

Post  puglover22 3/11/2010, 12:45 pm

I prefer the fawn's because they're easier to find a flea on!
Requesting Opinion re black pugs vs fawn pugs 505530
puglover22
puglover22

Number of posts : 608

Back to top Go down

Post  Maryjo 3/11/2010, 1:23 pm

I get pugs, black or fawn, via rescue. I take in any pug who needs a home regardless of color.

That being said... I saw a picture of Chloe (my sweet, one-eyed, black pug girl diva), and fell in love. Marci was fostering her. Chloe was a rescue from SEPRA, and, after getting approved, Marci brought her to Alaska. The rest is history.

I had just lost the second of my twin fawn pugs a few months before seeing Chloe, (Thelma & Louisie), and although I love my boy pugs to death, I wanted a girl to spoil again, but one who wouldn't remind me too much of Thelma & Louisie (my heart pugs who I miss to this day). Chloe is NOTHING like T&L, and brings me all kinds of joy daily with her zest for life! What a blessing to have her here!

Right now I have 4, three fawn boys and Chloe. She rules them with an iron paw.

Whatever your choice, remember that the pug often chooses you, color not withstanding.
Maryjo
Maryjo

Number of posts : 4954

http://www.maryjoalaska.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Maryjo 3/11/2010, 1:23 pm

puglover22 wrote:I prefer the fawn's because they're easier to find a flea on!

Move to Alaska... No fleas up here! *LOL*
Maryjo
Maryjo

Number of posts : 4954

http://www.maryjoalaska.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Renee 3/11/2010, 1:46 pm

Gotta chime in here: I have 2 fawns and 1 black. He doesn't have any more medical issues than any of our other pugs. He is a little different, more playful, friendlier, but he is just the best!! I too, think he may be smarter.

I think, a dog is a dog, regardless of fur color - and you get what you get. Our most expensive dog has been our fawn boy Ichiro. And, his issues have NOTHING to do with color, and everything to do with having come from a puppy mill. Good breeding will make the difference, not color.
Renee
Renee

Number of posts : 5694

http://www.polarpug.org

Back to top Go down

Post  Pugsaunt 3/11/2010, 4:36 pm

I've only had one pug - my black diva alpha bitch, Penny Lane. Her health issues came from no care for the first years of her life. With drops for her eyes and glucosamine/etc. for her arthritis, she is a spry, spunky, bossy, opinionated, smart as a whip, queen of my world. And if you don't believe it, just ask her. I have, however, known quite a few fawn and black pugs, and I have seen no health differences. I think the black pugs are more active, and I have never met a black girl puggie who was not a diva. Just my 2 cents.
Pugsaunt
Pugsaunt

Number of posts : 6877

Back to top Go down

Post  Not Afraid 3/11/2010, 5:42 pm

The fact that you can get blacks and fawns from the same litter makes the think that the "health issue" suggestion is a bunch of phooey. Compare that to humans.....do red heads have more health issues than blonds? Not a bit. Why would it be any different in pugs?

Personality is a whole different subject. But, having a snuggly boy who is a sweet as pie and a feisty girl who is trouble through and through when she's NOT being a sweetheart, makes the think that it's the gender that makes the difference. Girls are BAAAAD news (but so completely wonderful that you forgive them instantly).
Not Afraid
Not Afraid

Number of posts : 5095

Back to top Go down

Requesting Opinion re black pugs vs fawn pugs Empty Thanks for your replies!!

Post  Guest 3/12/2010, 12:31 am

Wow! I am now convinced that there are no health issues with black pugs. What a relief! Because I think they are very special and have always wanted one. You are all so generous and funny. I love knowing that you are all out the loving those little puggies to death. Bless your hearts!!!

Back to top Go down

Post  pugdad michael 3/12/2010, 3:32 pm

I currently have one of each!

Molly, black girl
Penny, fawn girl
SugarRay, black boy
Archie, fawn boy

I find that the black girls are the bossy ones, the fawn girls are the princesses, the black boys are the sweet silly ones, and the fawn boys are the snuggly ones!

Of course, there are exceptions!

While Molly is definitely the alpha, she's mellowed a bit with age. She's still very clear about when she's ready to be fed, but she mostly leaves Penny alone now.

Penny is the ultimate princess! Maybe even evil princess! I think she's just waiting for Molly to die so she can be boss!

SugarRay lives up to the black boy stereotype... mostly. He's very sweet and very silly, but he's a little disrespectful at times with his elders. He tries to "Alpha Dog" Molly (I'm often saying, "SugarRay! Stop humping your sister!" It's just so wrong!) and has knocked Archie over a couple times.

Archie is a great snuggler! My bunch rarely snuggled before, but Archie has kind of changed that! (Maybe because we didn't add another bed when we added another Pug! They have to share now!) He's very sweet! BUT... he's also VERY bossy to Lee and me! He won't necessarily eat when it's time for breakfast. He'll act like he's not interested, and then when the other Pugs have finished and I'm just starting my own breakfast.. He'll start barking at me, "Why are YOU eating!?! FEED ME!" He gives Molly and Penny kisses!
pugdad michael
pugdad michael

Number of posts : 171

http://www.CafePress.com/RainbowPugs

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest 3/12/2010, 3:47 pm

I've never heard that..never thought about it either. I doubt that there would be but im no expert. i'll see if i can find anything online about it...

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down