Pug Authority Forum
Welcome to the Pug Authority forum!

This is a fun, supportive community of pug owners who are dedicated to sharing our experiences regarding responsible pug ownership and learning from others.

You are currently viewing the forum as guest which does not give you the same access as members. Please click the Register button below to join our community! If you are already a member, please log-in!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Pug Authority Forum
Welcome to the Pug Authority forum!

This is a fun, supportive community of pug owners who are dedicated to sharing our experiences regarding responsible pug ownership and learning from others.

You are currently viewing the forum as guest which does not give you the same access as members. Please click the Register button below to join our community! If you are already a member, please log-in!
Pug Authority Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Black pug size vs fawn pug size

+15
CSollers
TNPUGMOMOF3
jessicamorganvasquez
pugasaurus
Amanda
Newsie96
Mel
PugLady3
Saira
MommaJones
Pugsaunt
Renee
northernwitch
TxAllieGrl
MackandMattiesMom
19 posters

Go down

Black pug size vs fawn pug size Empty Black pug size vs fawn pug size

Post  MackandMattiesMom 7/23/2010, 12:56 pm

Just wondering if black pugs are typically smaller than fawn pugs? Sue-Shi is almost a year old and she's still so petite. Mack was a giant by the age of 1. Sue-Shi's dad was huge (he was black and mom was fawn) and her mom wasn't exactly small. I expected her to be pretty big. Doesn't matter to me either way, just something I was curious about. I'm sure she still has some growing to do.
MackandMattiesMom
MackandMattiesMom

Number of posts : 2609

Back to top Go down

Black pug size vs fawn pug size Empty Re: Black pug size vs fawn pug size

Post  TxAllieGrl 7/23/2010, 12:59 pm

it's more related to the genetics/blood line of the pug, vs. the total color/variety. Bello is pretty small, but I had a black foster pug once upon a time who was BEEFY. I've seen several black pugs with larger frames.

Likewise, Angel has a bigger frame, and Jessie is petite (Dre too!), and all of them are fawn.

TxAllieGrl

Number of posts : 5801

Back to top Go down

Post  northernwitch 7/23/2010, 1:01 pm

I do tend to see more tiny black females than fawn females. But I've seen some BIG ass black males. Not sure how much is colour related though. I think I generally see either really small or really big due to what I tend to foster. Most of the black girls I've had were the runts of the litter and had health issues so tended to stay small.
northernwitch
northernwitch

Number of posts : 11031

http://www.pugalug.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Renee 7/23/2010, 1:02 pm

All of my pugs, 2 fawns and a black, are similar in size, with Tobey (fawn) being smaller boned, but still very similar.

I have wondered the same thing as well though, because from what I have observed, most black pugs are a little slimmer looking, maybe not neccessarily smaller boned, but just slimmer.

Of course, that isn't true with my black pug Skeeter. He's become quite the porkchop. Black pug size vs fawn pug size 6260
Renee
Renee

Number of posts : 5694

http://www.polarpug.org

Back to top Go down

Post  Pugsaunt 7/23/2010, 1:16 pm

Penny is a big pug. She weighs about 22 lbs right now and is maybe a pound heavy. But at normal pug weight she would be emaciated. I agree, it is in the genes (and the food Black pug size vs fawn pug size 6260).
Pugsaunt
Pugsaunt

Number of posts : 6877

Back to top Go down

Post  MackandMattiesMom 7/23/2010, 1:23 pm

I know it's genetics, just wondering if black pugs in general are smaller. Maybe she'll have a growth spurt. She hasn't had any health issues other than the mange (that was bad enough), so hopefully it's just that she's a small pug.
MackandMattiesMom
MackandMattiesMom

Back to top Go down

Post  MommaJones 7/23/2010, 3:00 pm

northernwitch wrote: But I've seen some BIG ass black males.
That would describe My Boys exactly!

They are both big framed and heavy. I don't think they look overweight, but I'm no expert. I actually like their size (I wouldn't want them any heavier), but others might find them too big.
MommaJones
MommaJones

Number of posts : 3761

Back to top Go down

Post  Saira 7/23/2010, 3:18 pm

Indy and Sophie are smaller than Hool, but I don't know what size Sophie would be without her medical issues. Indy is about 17 lbs, he just seems a bit more compact overall than Hooli.

I'd say they average out, the ones I see through rescue. I would say though that probably the females tend to be less overweight, but my theory on that is that they are nutcases and use up a lot of energy. Laughing
Saira
Saira

Number of posts : 8302

http://www.rescuepugs.com

Back to top Go down

Post  PugLady3 7/23/2010, 3:30 pm

Bella, our only black pug, is the smallest of the bunch. We've seen a pretty mixed bag come through our rescue too though. Just my observation but I think that females, in general, tend to be smaller no matter the color.
PugLady3
PugLady3

Number of posts : 2562

http://www.northernillinoispugrescue.org

Back to top Go down

Post  Mel 7/23/2010, 4:25 pm

Zoe's 21 lbs and probably a little overweight. I wish I could get her down to 18, but that's a BIG drop. (especially since after dinner she goes in the kitchen and barks for MORE food Black pug size vs fawn pug size Icon_rolleyes ) Her vet hasn't lectured me or anything on her weight, so I think she's ok.
Mel
Mel

Number of posts : 3270

Back to top Go down

Post  northernwitch 7/23/2010, 4:36 pm

MackandMattiesMom wrote:I know it's genetics, just wondering if black pugs in general are smaller. Maybe she'll have a growth spurt. She hasn't had any health issues other than the mange (that was bad enough), so hopefully it's just that she's a small pug.
Well, here's my experience with the only black litter I had. Mom was tiny at 14 lbs and dad was reportedly in the mid to upper 20s in weight. There were 7 pups. Three--two girls and one boy all stayed pretty small--ranging from 13 to 17 lbs (they were also BAD little puppies). The other four, all boys, are 25+ lbs.
northernwitch
northernwitch

Number of posts : 11031

http://www.pugalug.com

Back to top Go down

Post  MackandMattiesMom 7/23/2010, 6:23 pm

Saira wrote:Indy and Sophie are smaller than Hool, but I don't know what size Sophie would be without her medical issues. Indy is about 17 lbs, he just seems a bit more compact overall than Hooli.

I'd say they average out, the ones I see through rescue. I would say though that probably the females tend to be less overweight, but my theory on that is that they are nutcases and use up a lot of energy. Black pug size vs fawn pug size Icon_lol

I think the nutcase theory is the answer! Sue-Shi is always on the run, trying to get into some kind of trouble. I think she's also the reason Mack has dropped a few pounds because she's always chasing after him and biting his tail because he can't reach far enough back to get at her. Her name recently has been Naughty Naughty Boo Boo. Her official name was Sue-Shi Boo Boo. She pretty much leaves Mattie alone because Mattie has put her in her place. Mack is just a big baby, poor thing.
MackandMattiesMom
MackandMattiesMom

Back to top Go down

Post  Newsie96 7/25/2010, 9:01 pm

Duke is my nutcase. He never seems to stop and I have trouble keeping weight on him. He's just made that way. He's a lean 18 pounds.

Murphy is like me, if he looks at food he puts on a pound. LOL But I keep a close eye on him and he's a consistent 19-20 pounds. (This is after topping the scale at 23.)

I think it depends on the pug.

MackandMattiesMom wrote:
Saira wrote:Indy and Sophie are smaller than Hool, but I don't know what size Sophie would be without her medical issues. Indy is about 17 lbs, he just seems a bit more compact overall than Hooli.

I'd say they average out, the ones I see through rescue. I would say though that probably the females tend to be less overweight, but my theory on that is that they are nutcases and use up a lot of energy. Black pug size vs fawn pug size Icon_lol

I think the nutcase theory is the answer! Sue-Shi is always on the run, trying to get into some kind of trouble. I think she's also the reason Mack has dropped a few pounds because she's always chasing after him and biting his tail because he can't reach far enough back to get at her. Her name recently has been Naughty Naughty Boo Boo. Her official name was Sue-Shi Boo Boo. She pretty much leaves Mattie alone because Mattie has put her in her place. Mack is just a big baby, poor thing.
Newsie96
Newsie96

Number of posts : 996

Back to top Go down

Post  Amanda 7/25/2010, 9:30 pm

She may still have a growth spurt. Nell was super small as a puppy. The first vet to ever see her actually noted in her chart how extra tiny she was. She's always been very solid though. I think the fact that she was so super active for the first couple years kept her small too. Over the years she's filled out and while I don't consider her big necessarily she's definitely heavy and solid. Lucy is much more petite overall.
Amanda
Amanda

Number of posts : 6990

http://www.pugauthority.com

Back to top Go down

Post  pugasaurus 7/25/2010, 11:13 pm

I agree with Blanche, the female black pugs seem a tad bit smaller than fawns. My Nadine was 14 lbs and baby Noel is very small and fine boned. And it seems most of the ones that I've known over the years seem smaller, there was an adorable little female named Belle who was 10 lbs. My two black males, Beavis and Bill Bailey are pretty average in size, Beavis weighs about 21 lbs and Bill Bailey is 18 lbs.

It also seems the black pugs look more "impish" very much like an image from Puck magazine. I wish I could get a picture of Bill Bailey making his hungry face, he does this weird thing where he gnashes his teeth together and he looks like such a little goblin. Saira's Sophie has really got the imp face going on, but then again, she's Sophie.
pugasaurus
pugasaurus

Number of posts : 1117

Back to top Go down

Post  jessicamorganvasquez 10/10/2011, 10:04 am

I have a 5 month old pug and he is only 8lbs his parents are both small and the breeder said he wasn't the runt but he was the smallest of the who litter when we picked him up... I do think the breeder lied to us but oh well we love him so much!

jessicamorganvasquez

Number of posts : 2

Back to top Go down

Post  TNPUGMOMOF3 10/10/2011, 10:11 am

Bella, my black girl isn't what I would call petite. She is more compact and is built more like what is pug is supposed to look like, but she is a little chunky. She is also my smartest of the group. Master manipulator!
TNPUGMOMOF3
TNPUGMOMOF3

Number of posts : 1982

Back to top Go down

Post  jessicamorganvasquez 10/10/2011, 10:38 am

TNPUGMOMOF3 wrote:Bella, my black girl isn't what I would call petite. She is more compact and is built more like what is pug is supposed to look like, but she is a little chunky. She is also my smartest of the group. Master manipulator!

Kain is just that way! he gets into stuff and we dont know how like we put both our dogs in seperate crates when we leave and wen we get bck Kain is out and sitting by the door! i dont know how he does it but i want to know!

jessicamorganvasquez

Number of posts : 2

Back to top Go down

Post  CSollers 10/10/2011, 10:41 am

Just to go against the grain, Minni, our black female, is both bigger and heavier than Ray , our fawn male. Minni is the high powered nut-case though.
CSollers
CSollers

Number of posts : 376

Back to top Go down

Post  Two Crazy Pugs 10/10/2011, 11:37 am

Gidget (black, female) is smaller than Mr. B (fawn, male) but Gidget is 24 pounds and Mr. B is 28 pounds. Both should lose about 2 pounds, but as soon as the girls began walking around with snacks, the pugs waist lines disappeared. Our vet hasn't said too much and we are limited to the types of food we can give them. Luckily it has cooled off and we can walk them regularly again!
Two Crazy Pugs
Two Crazy Pugs

Number of posts : 1295

Back to top Go down

Post  SacramentoPugs 10/10/2011, 1:58 pm

I've heard show breeders say that it's harder to get "good bone" (I guess a good solid heavy frame) in black pugs, which may account for some of them tending to be on the smaller side. Just skeletally petite in some cases.
SacramentoPugs
SacramentoPugs

Number of posts : 1428

Back to top Go down

Post  pugmom 10/10/2011, 8:31 pm

My female black grand pug, Pepper was a breeder in a puppy mill. She is very round and solid with short legs. She weighs just under 20 lbs., is very crafty and is always hunting for poop to eat! She also helped herself to the tiny tomatoes and strawberrie in the garden. She lives with two male pugs who each weigh about 21+ lbs. and are much larger than she.

Could the poop she finds and eats make her fat? They live on seven acres and someone is always out with them however it is difficult to always find the poop in wooded areas and now with so many leaves. We do try watch and pick-up immediately when the two males are done.
pugmom
pugmom

Number of posts : 956

Back to top Go down

Post  Puggered 10/11/2011, 6:48 am

I have had blacks for more than four decades. There are petite blacks and there are solid blacks. I must say that the most petite and fragile looking pugs I have seen over my life have actually been fawns from generations of BYB. Right now the resident black diva here could never be described as petite...LOL.

Now I do see a fair few petite pet blacks pictured on US forums and I wonder - if they had been bred colour to colour with no regard for bone you would probably end up with undersized more often than not if the gene pool was limited by colour and location. Uneducated breeders can make a hash of things in just a few short generations...
Puggered
Puggered

Number of posts : 1517

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down