Pug Authority Forum
Welcome to the Pug Authority forum!

This is a fun, supportive community of pug owners who are dedicated to sharing our experiences regarding responsible pug ownership and learning from others.

You are currently viewing the forum as guest which does not give you the same access as members. Please click the Register button below to join our community! If you are already a member, please log-in!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Pug Authority Forum
Welcome to the Pug Authority forum!

This is a fun, supportive community of pug owners who are dedicated to sharing our experiences regarding responsible pug ownership and learning from others.

You are currently viewing the forum as guest which does not give you the same access as members. Please click the Register button below to join our community! If you are already a member, please log-in!
Pug Authority Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Update on Sherman's Knee...

+8
northernwitch
sallyandtilly
TxAllieGrl
Imon
Aussie Witch
ayleash
MackandMattiesMom
Maryjo
12 posters

Go down

Update on Sherman's Knee... Empty Update on Sherman's Knee...

Post  Maryjo 4/10/2010, 12:52 am

One month after surgery...

Sherman had a recheck on his knee today. The vet said he isn't surprised that Sherman isn't putting much weight on it yet, it was one of the worst knee displacements he'd ever seen. He says most of the inner muscles of that leg had atrophied almost totally.

He said the knee is now right where it should be, and to keep my therapy up, plus he wants to give him Rimadyl once a day for a long time. Maybe forever. I hadn't been giving Rimadyl fo a week or so now because I didn't want him to get a false sense of security and hurt the nee again chasing Chloe or something. But the vet says it is OK to start him on some and see how he does.

Hmmm.. he might become a long-term foster, or maybe he just won't leave at all. After all, who (besides me) would want to adopt a special-needs pug who needs eye ointment twice a day and Rimadyl once a day?? *LOL*

Update on Sherman's Knee... 335895
Maryjo
Maryjo

Number of posts : 4954

http://www.maryjoalaska.com/

Back to top Go down

Update on Sherman's Knee... Empty Re: Update on Sherman's Knee...

Post  MackandMattiesMom 4/10/2010, 1:29 am

Poor guy. At least he found a great home out of it all. Congratulations. I'm quite confident he's not leaving. hug dog
MackandMattiesMom
MackandMattiesMom

Number of posts : 2609

Back to top Go down

Post  ayleash 4/10/2010, 5:30 am

I am glad to hear the update... and didn't you know "once a pug takes you ice sliding, he is yours forever"

Update on Sherman's Knee... Icon_biggrin
ayleash
ayleash

Number of posts : 1496

Back to top Go down

Post  Aussie Witch 4/10/2010, 6:12 am

Hands up all those surprised to hear that Sherman may not be leaving? Anyone? ANYONE?? HELLO??? Update on Sherman's Knee... Icon_lol

You're a special person MJ! Update on Sherman's Knee... 335895
Aussie Witch
Aussie Witch

Number of posts : 8556

Back to top Go down

Post  Imon 4/10/2010, 8:47 am

Why does this not surprise me? He's a very special (and lucky) pug! Update on Sherman's Knee... Icon_biggrin
Imon
Imon

Number of posts : 1898

Back to top Go down

Post  TxAllieGrl 4/10/2010, 9:01 am

ah MaryJo, count me among the not-surprised.

Sherman is one lucky pug!

TxAllieGrl

Number of posts : 5801

Back to top Go down

Post  sallyandtilly 4/10/2010, 11:03 am

Is it appropriate to say "Welcome home Sherman".
sallyandtilly
sallyandtilly

Number of posts : 3150

Back to top Go down

Post  northernwitch 4/10/2010, 12:02 pm

Good news on the knee. It may take some time before he uses it regularly. Glory had become so used to using three legs and even now she occasionally only uses three--although her FHO was years ago.

So a new addition, possibly? Shocking.
northernwitch
northernwitch

Number of posts : 11031

http://www.pugalug.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Maryjo 4/10/2010, 12:14 pm

The 'new addition' part is probably wishful thinking, but who is going to adopt a pug who needs both eye ointment and (possibly) Rimadyl for the rest of his life?

We'll see... *LOL* Update on Sherman's Knee... 335895
Maryjo
Maryjo

Back to top Go down

Post  Pugsaunt 4/10/2010, 3:18 pm

Gee. Why am I also in the not-surprised group? That is good news that he is doing well, indeed. If he's on Rimadyl for the foreseeable future, you may want to add some milk thistle to his regimen - very good for keeping the liver from being overwhelmed. Penny gets the powder in a 250mg capsule once a day, and her liver enzymes look very good.
Pugsaunt
Pugsaunt

Number of posts : 6877

Back to top Go down

Post  Renee 4/10/2010, 3:29 pm

I'm glad Sherman is doing better....and I'm not shocked at all that he may become a permanent foster. He does love you MaryJo, and you really seem to have the touch for sure.
Renee
Renee

Number of posts : 5694

http://www.polarpug.org

Back to top Go down

Post  Maryjo 4/11/2010, 3:39 am

Pugsaunt wrote:Gee. Why am I also in the not-surprised group? That is good news that he is doing well, indeed. If he's on Rimadyl for the foreseeable future, you may want to add some milk thistle to his regimen - very good for keeping the liver from being overwhelmed. Penny gets the powder in a 250mg capsule once a day, and her liver enzymes look very good.

Thanks Nancy. I'll get some! I've been worried about keeping him on Rimadyl long-term. He's only six years old.

Do you just put the powder in her food? Or hide the capsule in cheese or something??
Maryjo
Maryjo

Back to top Go down

Post  Pugsaunt 4/11/2010, 3:19 pm

Maryjo wrote:
Pugsaunt wrote:Gee. Why am I also in the not-surprised group? That is good news that he is doing well, indeed. If he's on Rimadyl for the foreseeable future, you may want to add some milk thistle to his regimen - very good for keeping the liver from being overwhelmed. Penny gets the powder in a 250mg capsule once a day, and her liver enzymes look very good.

Thanks Nancy. I'll get some! I've been worried about keeping him on Rimadyl long-term. He's only six years old.

Do you just put the powder in her food? Or hide the capsule in cheese or something??
I open the capsule and sprinkle the powder over her dinner, then put a squirt of salmon oil on top. She doesn't object at all. Hugs to handsome Mr. Sherman.
Pugsaunt
Pugsaunt

Number of posts : 6877

Back to top Go down

Post  Saira 4/11/2010, 3:27 pm

That is a great update, all around!
Saira
Saira

Number of posts : 8302

http://www.rescuepugs.com

Back to top Go down

Post  TNPUGMOMOF3 4/11/2010, 4:51 pm

He is so handsome, he would be hard to let go! Hank's FHO surgery was in Nov and he is just now starting to really use it and even limps a little after he's been asleep on it. I think the warm weather has helped him too.
TNPUGMOMOF3
TNPUGMOMOF3

Number of posts : 1982

Back to top Go down

Post  Maryjo 4/12/2010, 2:21 am

TNPUGMOMOF3 wrote:He is so handsome, he would be hard to let go! Hank's FHO surgery was in Nov and he is just now starting to really use it and even limps a little after he's been asleep on it. I think the warm weather has helped him too.
Thanks Marci! The vet said it could take months, since it was so bad, but I wasn't sure if I believed him. I worry I am doing something wrong since he isn't using it much yet.
Maryjo
Maryjo

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down