Pug Authority Forum
Welcome to the Pug Authority forum!

This is a fun, supportive community of pug owners who are dedicated to sharing our experiences regarding responsible pug ownership and learning from others.

You are currently viewing the forum as guest which does not give you the same access as members. Please click the Register button below to join our community! If you are already a member, please log-in!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Pug Authority Forum
Welcome to the Pug Authority forum!

This is a fun, supportive community of pug owners who are dedicated to sharing our experiences regarding responsible pug ownership and learning from others.

You are currently viewing the forum as guest which does not give you the same access as members. Please click the Register button below to join our community! If you are already a member, please log-in!
Pug Authority Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Where are all these pugs coming from?!?

+8
northernwitch
Lilos Mom
PugLady3
Amanda
smoochieface
Renee
Maryjo
Saira
12 posters

Go down

Where are all these pugs coming from?!? Empty Where are all these pugs coming from?!?

Post  Saira 5/27/2010, 1:52 pm

I know you guys are in the same boat (actually probably a bigger boat), but we are drowning. I think there is some sort of planet alignment that causes people to dump their dogs all at the same time. 3 calls today alone for 3 (supposedly) bonded pairs. Another pair was dropped at our vet today. 2 more coming in from CA tonight. THEY ARE ALL IN PAIRS. Good grief. I guess I should be thankful they aren't triplets.
Saira
Saira

Number of posts : 8302

http://www.rescuepugs.com

Back to top Go down

Where are all these pugs coming from?!? Empty Re: Where are all these pugs coming from?!?

Post  Maryjo 5/27/2010, 1:57 pm

Quick! Find one of those sunbelt tourists with a HUGE RV who might be coming up to Alaska and get a couple pair of pugs on to their RV! We have more apps than pugs, and I bet we could get them adopted out in a heartbeat!

Sigh, I really wish we could establish a pipeline. I want to help every single rescue pug in the lower 48 rescues.
Maryjo
Maryjo

Number of posts : 4954

http://www.maryjoalaska.com/

Back to top Go down

Where are all these pugs coming from?!? Empty Re: Where are all these pugs coming from?!?

Post  Saira 5/27/2010, 2:00 pm

Maryjo wrote:Quick! Find one of those sunbelt tourists with a HUGE RV who might be coming up to Alaska and get a couple pair of pugs on to their RV! We have more apps than pugs, and I bet we could get them adopted out in a heartbeat!

Sigh, I really wish we could establish a pipeline. I want to help every single rescue pug in the lower 48 rescues.

I should have sent a pug up with my brother went he went to Alaska! Where are all these pugs coming from?!? Icon_biggrin Heck, that would be an interesting idea, if someone takes an annual trip to Alaska, to take a few pugs from the rescues.
Saira
Saira

Back to top Go down

Post  Renee 5/27/2010, 2:16 pm

Saira wrote:
Maryjo wrote:Quick! Find one of those sunbelt tourists with a HUGE RV who might be coming up to Alaska and get a couple pair of pugs on to their RV! We have more apps than pugs, and I bet we could get them adopted out in a heartbeat!

I should have sent a pug up with my brother went he went to Alaska! Where are all these pugs coming from?!? Icon_biggrin Heck, that would be an interesting idea, if someone takes an annual trip to Alaska, to take a few pugs from the rescues.

Yes, Yes! Bring them to Alaska!! We have the energy to help....and I want to help all those pugs too!
Renee
Renee

Number of posts : 5694

http://www.polarpug.org

Back to top Go down

Post  smoochieface 5/27/2010, 2:21 pm

There has got to be a way to get more pugs up to Alaska where they can find good homes and aren't drowing in dumped pugs.

Saira, do you think your contacts at Best Friends may have some suggestions on how to transport a half dozen or so pugs without costing a bloody fortune? Best Friends does do a fair amount of transporting. If it's just a matter of fuel cost and some minor fees, we might be able to accomplish it through fundraising efforts both down here and in Alaska. Alaska knows how to raise money for pugs -- they got someone to pay $100 for cake!
smoochieface
smoochieface

Number of posts : 5123

Back to top Go down

Post  Amanda 5/27/2010, 2:23 pm

If someone wants to pay my bills for a couple months, I'll be happy to quit my job and taxi pugs around!!
Amanda
Amanda

Number of posts : 6990

http://www.pugauthority.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Saira 5/27/2010, 2:25 pm

smoochieface wrote:There has got to be a way to get more pugs up to Alaska where they can find good homes and aren't drowing in dumped pugs.

Saira, do you think your contacts at Best Friends may have some suggestions on how to transport a half dozen or so pugs without costing a bloody fortune? Best Friends does do a fair amount of transporting. If it's just a matter of fuel cost and some minor fees, we might be able to accomplish it through fundraising efforts both down here and in Alaska. Alaska knows how to raise money for pugs -- they got someone to pay $100 for cake!

LoL true they do know how to fundraise! I know the CA rescues ones really are swamped. I can ask around, they have a larger network, and it might be worth asking if some people DO take an annual trip to alaska.
Saira
Saira

Back to top Go down

Post  PugLady3 5/27/2010, 3:02 pm

Shoot, I could've sent one up with my son when he left for Alaska a few weeks ago, too!

Our intake coordinator just sent out an email last night because we've got three pairs needing to come in right now too. Weird. How do you guys find the foster homes to take them all? A lot of of our foster families can/will only do one at a time and we'd rather not split them up until we know if they are truly bonded or not.
PugLady3
PugLady3

Number of posts : 2562

http://www.northernillinoispugrescue.org

Back to top Go down

Post  Saira 5/27/2010, 3:05 pm

PugLady3 wrote:Shoot, I could've sent one up with my son when he left for Alaska a few weeks ago, too! Where are all these pugs coming from?!? Icon_lol

Our intake coordinator just sent out an email last night because we've got three pairs needing to come in right now too. Weird. How do you guys find the foster homes to take them all? A lot of of our foster families can/will only do one at a time and we'd rather not split them up until we know if they are truly bonded or not.
We're in the same position, and we are close to our breaking point. Right now we don't know where we will put the pairs, we hate to split them up IF they are bonded but like you said, it's hard enough finding foster homes for ONE, much less two. We are sending out a "please help" email tonight.

Also rescue groups-I am sure most of you have looked into this, but we signed up for a newsletter program called Constant Contact. It's pretty easy to send out easy to read newsletters, and you can enter all your email addresses and it trackes how many read it, etc. It's actually really affordable, they give a 30% discount for non profits. I can send anyone who is interested the info. It's a lot easier to read than emails, I think. We've gotten really good feedback on it.
Saira
Saira

Back to top Go down

Post  Renee 5/27/2010, 3:07 pm

Generally I only take one at a time for fosters, although at one point I did have two. I think, if the need were greater, I would increase my foster count. Also, I think more people up here would step up to fostering, if the need were greater. Correct me if I am wrong MJ, but I think we only have between 1 and 6 pugs in rescue at any given time. Of course, this isn't counting the non-pug rescues we get occasionally, but still, we're talking about PUG rescue.

I sure do wish there was some way to transport them up here. If we are really serious, I don't have a problem writing letters and making calls to like Alaska Airlines to see if they will donate transportation. I know we don't like pugs to fly....but, it could be worth it.
Renee
Renee

Back to top Go down

Post  Renee 5/27/2010, 3:08 pm

Saira wrote:

Also rescue groups-I am sure most of you have looked into this, but we signed up for a newsletter program called Constant Contact. It's pretty easy to send out easy to read newsletters, and you can enter all your email addresses and it trackes how many read it, etc. It's actually really affordable, they give a 30% discount for non profits. I can send anyone who is interested the info. It's a lot easier to read than emails, I think. We've gotten really good feedback on it.

Saira - send that my way please.
Renee
Renee

Back to top Go down

Post  Lilos Mom 5/27/2010, 4:32 pm

It's so bad here in MI too, we're averaging 3 to 4 calls per day all owner surrenders with like you say two at a time and apps have pretty much just stopped coming in so foster homes are packed and no ones moving to their forever homes....so sad.....
Lilos Mom
Lilos Mom

Number of posts : 714

Back to top Go down

Post  Maryjo 5/27/2010, 4:39 pm

Amanda wrote:If someone wants to pay my bills for a couple months, I'll be happy to quit my job and taxi pugs around!!

*LOL* That'll work!
Maryjo
Maryjo

Back to top Go down

Post  Maryjo 5/27/2010, 4:47 pm

Saira wrote:..........I can ask around, they have a larger network, and it might be worth asking if some people DO take an annual trip to alaska.

That's what I mean. I see hundreds of RV's everys summer passing thru (or stopping in) Anchorage. You can't tell me that 1 or 2 of them don't have pugs, or know of pug rescue, or know someone in pug rescue.

A 'Summer Pug Pipeline' (SPP?)would be so wonderful, and could help a lot of pugs get to their forever home. (Although come winter they might not be happy. *LOL*)

Last edited by Maryjo on 5/27/2010, 4:54 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : dyslexic today... LOL)
Maryjo
Maryjo

Back to top Go down

Post  northernwitch 5/27/2010, 5:15 pm

We seem to have an unending stream of pugs coming in. We're no where near as slammed as you guys in the US, but I'm about at my maximum. And our applications are WAY down. We're still moving pugs out--but it's taking longer and longer. And we have just gotten a request to take a pair. I can't foster bonded pairs often so thankfully these two aren't bonded.

And my foster parents are getting tired. Back to back fosters isn't good for anyone. Especially given that our dog tend to stay in foster care for months these days.
northernwitch
northernwitch

Number of posts : 11031

http://www.pugalug.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Saira 5/27/2010, 5:19 pm

northernwitch wrote:We seem to have an unending stream of pugs coming in. We're no where near as slammed as you guys in the US, but I'm about at my maximum. And our applications are WAY down. We're still moving pugs out--but it's taking longer and longer. And we have just gotten a request to take a pair. I can't foster bonded pairs often so thankfully these two aren't bonded.

And my foster parents are getting tired. Back to back fosters isn't good for anyone. Especially given that our dog tend to stay in foster care for months these days.

Yeah that's the additional problem, since apps are down, pugs are with us longer, which strains our fosters. I know how hard it is, especially the longer they are with their foster home, and I am always worried about that.
Saira
Saira

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest 5/28/2010, 1:59 am

Did anyone happen to read or know of the truckers who transport pugs? It was a post over at PugVillage a few weeks ago. I guess a woman who had/has pugs started it a few years ago. They treat them like their own, riding up in the cab, etc. Scheduling is obviously dependent on their schedule, but it sounds like they do a lot of transporting this way. Just an idea!

Kelli

Back to top Go down

Post  smoochieface 5/28/2010, 3:26 am

Has anyone heard anything about Operation Roger? They are the truckers who transport pets. http://www.operationroger.rescuegroups.org/

Saira, if you think it looks like it might be worth a shot, I'll front or donate to SNPR the $25 registration fee to get on the site.
smoochieface
smoochieface

Number of posts : 5123

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest 5/28/2010, 8:11 am

Amanda wrote:If someone wants to pay my bills for a couple months, I'll be happy to quit my job and taxi pugs around!!

me too!

Back to top Go down

Post  Pugsaunt 5/28/2010, 2:08 pm

Donna wrote:

me too!
Me three, but I don't have a job! Seriously, Driving Miss Molly to Tonapah was fun. Hmm. Would Penny be up for a trip to Alaska?????
Pugsaunt
Pugsaunt

Number of posts : 6877

Back to top Go down

Post  Mel 5/28/2010, 3:34 pm

I didn't read the entire thread, but I have a thought. What about approaching Pet Airways and ask if they'd be willing to donate transportation?

http://www.petairways.com/

it'd be great PR for them! and maybe they could write it off.

Wink
Mel
Mel

Number of posts : 3270

Back to top Go down

Post  Eph91 5/28/2010, 5:17 pm

I wish I could afford another (financially, space-wise, everything), especially now when there is so much need!
Eph91
Eph91

Number of posts : 2839

Back to top Go down

Post  juneau hunter 5/29/2010, 9:52 am

I wish I could do something to help. If you ever need someone from eastern Canada, I am your girl!!
juneau hunter
juneau hunter

Number of posts : 2896

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down