Pug Authority Forum
Welcome to the Pug Authority forum!

This is a fun, supportive community of pug owners who are dedicated to sharing our experiences regarding responsible pug ownership and learning from others.

You are currently viewing the forum as guest which does not give you the same access as members. Please click the Register button below to join our community! If you are already a member, please log-in!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Pug Authority Forum
Welcome to the Pug Authority forum!

This is a fun, supportive community of pug owners who are dedicated to sharing our experiences regarding responsible pug ownership and learning from others.

You are currently viewing the forum as guest which does not give you the same access as members. Please click the Register button below to join our community! If you are already a member, please log-in!
Pug Authority Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Reverse roid rage

+3
Eph91
Amanda
Saira
7 posters

Go down

Reverse roid rage Empty Reverse roid rage

Post  Saira 6/8/2010, 8:35 pm

So, we noticed that it seems that Sophie is crabby on the days she doesn't take her steroid. She's kind of an alpha b-word anyways ( Very Happy ) but sometimes she gets really bent out of shape and we have started noticing that those are the days that she doesn't get her meds. Any thoughts? She just had bloodwork and everything was fine in that area.

Full moon?
Saira
Saira

Number of posts : 8302

http://www.rescuepugs.com

Back to top Go down

Reverse roid rage Empty Re: Reverse roid rage

Post  Amanda 6/8/2010, 8:46 pm

I don't know much about steroids. Nell was on them short term for her allergies but that's it. Could it be that she just feels kinda crappy, physically, on the days she doesn't get them? Like a mild withdrawal maybe?

Full moon is a viable option as well.
Amanda
Amanda

Number of posts : 6990

http://www.pugauthority.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Eph91 6/8/2010, 8:50 pm

Huh. I guess that makes sense; she must feel "off" or something.
Eph91
Eph91

Number of posts : 2839

Back to top Go down

Post  northernwitch 6/8/2010, 9:39 pm

It's a dandy excuse to act like a total bitch?
northernwitch
northernwitch

Number of posts : 11031

http://www.pugalug.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Aussie Witch 6/9/2010, 1:21 am

What Blanche said. Reverse roid rage Icon_biggrin
Aussie Witch
Aussie Witch

Number of posts : 8556

Back to top Go down

Post  smoochieface 6/9/2010, 3:29 am

I'm pretty sure she's addicted. Why don't you break out the methadone? Sophie going through the DTs should be interesting.
smoochieface
smoochieface

Number of posts : 5123

Back to top Go down

Post  Tyson&LuLu'sMom 6/9/2010, 9:39 am

Is it possible to give her a smaller dose of the steroid, but give it every day instead?

For Tyson, we were giving him his prednisone every other day, but then it was explained to me that the time it stays in the system is 18 hours on the low end, so skipping a day is not ideal. So now we give him half the dose, but give it every day. We did have to switch from pill form to liquid form-easier to measure than having to try to split pills into even little bits.
Tyson&LuLu'sMom
Tyson&LuLu'sMom

Number of posts : 3776

Back to top Go down

Post  Saira 6/9/2010, 9:47 am

Tyson&LuLu'sMom wrote:Is it possible to give her a smaller dose of the steroid, but give it every day instead?

For Tyson, we were giving him his prednisone every other day, but then it was explained to me that the time it stays in the system is 18 hours on the low end, so skipping a day is not ideal. So now we give him half the dose, but give it every day. We did have to switch from pill form to liquid form-easier to measure than having to try to split pills into even little bits.

No, we have to alternate with Atopica, and her vet has a strict schedule to adhere to so they don't get it on the same day!

Hmm...I might ask about that liquid form, I didn't know that. It's a giant pain in the ass to break them up so small!

Thanks guys, I too have a feeling she's just using it as an excuse to be total bitch since she goes after Hooli, never Indy. Reverse roid rage Icon_rolleyes I actually think since Hooli is getting older she is trying to move into top status, maybe. What is funny is Indy doesn't take her crap-he bullies her, and she will give up toys and stuff to him and she LOVES him, go figure.

Girls, who knew they were so much tougher than the boys?! Reverse roid rage Icon_lol
Saira
Saira

Number of posts : 8302

http://www.rescuepugs.com

Back to top Go down

Post  northernwitch 6/9/2010, 10:36 am

Saira wrote:
Tyson&LuLu'sMom wrote:Is it possible to give her a smaller dose of the steroid, but give it every day instead?

No, we have to alternate with Atopica, and her vet has a strict schedule to adhere to so they don't get it on the same day!

Hmm...I might ask about that liquid form, I didn't know that. It's a giant pain in the ass to break them up so small!

Thanks guys, I too have a feeling she's just using it as an excuse to be total bitch since she goes after Hooli, never Indy. Reverse roid rage Icon_rolleyes I actually think since Hooli is getting older she is trying to move into top status, maybe. What is funny is Indy doesn't take her crap-he bullies her, and she will give up toys and stuff to him and she LOVES him, go figure.

Girls, who knew they were so much tougher than the boys?! Reverse roid rage Icon_lol
Saira:
In all seriousness--the liquid form might be prednisolone which is a more refined form of Prednisone and is easier on the liver--worth asking about.
And yes, I'd bet that part of what she is doing is challenging Hooli. Maude was the undisputed Queen here, but when her alzheimer's started up, I had Leila here. Leila ignored everyone else for the most part, but was merciless with Maude once her alzheimer's kicked in. It was clear that Maude was losing it and Leila knew it.
northernwitch
northernwitch

Number of posts : 11031

http://www.pugalug.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down