Pug Authority Forum
Welcome to the Pug Authority forum!

This is a fun, supportive community of pug owners who are dedicated to sharing our experiences regarding responsible pug ownership and learning from others.

You are currently viewing the forum as guest which does not give you the same access as members. Please click the Register button below to join our community! If you are already a member, please log-in!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Pug Authority Forum
Welcome to the Pug Authority forum!

This is a fun, supportive community of pug owners who are dedicated to sharing our experiences regarding responsible pug ownership and learning from others.

You are currently viewing the forum as guest which does not give you the same access as members. Please click the Register button below to join our community! If you are already a member, please log-in!
Pug Authority Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Small amounts of throw up and I think reverse sneezing

5 posters

Go down

Small amounts of throw up and I think reverse sneezing Empty Small amounts of throw up and I think reverse sneezing

Post  Dboardman 9/7/2010, 8:17 pm

So Lola is really freaking us out with this reverse sneezing thing. She has been doing it more often, tonight she was sleeping on my lap and barfed a little then immediately started doing the reverse sneezing thing. The throw up was mostly water or bile, she had eaten about 3 hours earlier. I just made her a new batch of food about a week ago and I had changed the protein but she had thrown up before with her older food that also had different ingredients. The throw up is not an everyday thing maybe like 1-2 times a week max, the reverse sneezing is more often though maybe 3-4 times a week. Anyways any suggestions or is this normal?
Dboardman
Dboardman

Number of posts : 112

Back to top Go down

Small amounts of throw up and I think reverse sneezing Empty Re: Small amounts of throw up and I think reverse sneezing

Post  Puggered 9/7/2010, 9:24 pm

It is not normal to throw up after sleeping. Throwing up once in a while because they've eaten too fast, or ran amok too soon after eating, is something I would not worry about, but what you are describing would concern me and I would get it investigated.

You have been thinking a food allergy but a change in protein has made no difference? A week isn't a very long time in some cases but I am wondering if a mild gastric disorder would fit those symptoms better? If that is the case, some probiotics or plain natural yoghurt should settle it fairly quickly.

The reverse sneezing is due to a swollen palate, coming immediately after vomiting might indicate that the bile has irritated the palate on the way out, the fact that it is more frequent than the vomiting may indicate a chronic irritation.

In any event, if it were me, I would be booking a vet appointment. Before you go, take time to write down all her symptoms and their frequency and anything else you can think of, including exactly what she is doing when (and the time of day) she tends to get the symptoms.

Puggy vibes being sent hoping that you can get this manageably sorted.

Puggered
Puggered

Number of posts : 1517

Back to top Go down

Small amounts of throw up and I think reverse sneezing Empty Re: Small amounts of throw up and I think reverse sneezing

Post  smoochieface 9/8/2010, 12:21 am

I'm wondering if it may be some sort of acid reflux.

Chester has done all of what you described, but his cause was primarily a reaction to heat. If he overheats, and especially if he drinks in too much water while he is overheated, he will do some combination of throwing up what looks like a combination of bile and saliva, along with a reverse sneeze. But I'm not sure if that's what is happening with Lola since she was sleeping on your lap when it happened so am assuming she was not overheated at the time.
smoochieface
smoochieface

Number of posts : 5123

Back to top Go down

Post  Pugsaunt 9/8/2010, 12:57 am

Acid reflux was my first thought, too, and I agree that a trip to the dogtor is in order. Sending all kinds of good thoughts for Lola.
Pugsaunt
Pugsaunt

Number of posts : 6877

Back to top Go down

Post  Dboardman 9/8/2010, 8:55 am

Yea, she deffinatly was not overheated. My vet already thinks I am crazy, but I will go ahead an schedule her an appointment. Acid reflux sounds about right, if I mention that what will they say? Is there anything for doggy reflux?
Dboardman
Dboardman

Back to top Go down

Post  Pugsaunt 9/8/2010, 5:19 pm

Peg (Pegatha) gives her Bogie a pepcid daily for his acid reflux. If she doesn't, he will york up some bile and stomach stuff. Penny got Reglan when she had the urpies a while back. There are meds that will take care of it if it is acid reflux.
Pugsaunt
Pugsaunt

Number of posts : 6877

Back to top Go down

Post  Dboardman 9/9/2010, 6:11 pm

I guess I should update, we haven't taken Lola to the vet yet but my wife and I think we have linked the throwup to something. In the past week or so we have noticed that Lola has smelled. Well I think she has started eating cat poo again. Were gonna start putting up the baby gate again and see if she keeps up the throw up.
Dboardman
Dboardman

Back to top Go down

Post  Not Afraid 9/9/2010, 6:31 pm

Dboardman wrote:I guess I should update, we haven't taken Lola to the vet yet but my wife and I think we have linked the throwup to something. In the past week or so we have noticed that Lola has smelled. Well I think she has started eating cat poo again. Were gonna start putting up the baby gate again and see if she keeps up the throw up.

Thurston reverse sneezes when he gobbles a fresh poop before we can get to it. He's so cute.
Not Afraid
Not Afraid

Number of posts : 5095

Back to top Go down

Post  smoochieface 9/9/2010, 7:39 pm

Not Afraid wrote:
Dboardman wrote:I guess I should update, we haven't taken Lola to the vet yet but my wife and I think we have linked the throwup to something. In the past week or so we have noticed that Lola has smelled. Well I think she has started eating cat poo again. Were gonna start putting up the baby gate again and see if she keeps up the throw up.

Thurston reverse sneezes when he gobbles a fresh poop before we can get to it. He's so cute.

And I have been honored to sniff Thurston's cat poop throw-up!

Hope this does the trick for Lola!
smoochieface
smoochieface

Number of posts : 5123

Back to top Go down

Post  Dboardman 9/9/2010, 9:14 pm

yea were hoping that is what it is. I gave her a small piece of bread today with some honey on it before dinner and she has not thrown up or did the sneeze. I am sure the clay from the litter is not too good for her at all either.
Dboardman
Dboardman

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down