Pug Authority Forum
Welcome to the Pug Authority forum!

This is a fun, supportive community of pug owners who are dedicated to sharing our experiences regarding responsible pug ownership and learning from others.

You are currently viewing the forum as guest which does not give you the same access as members. Please click the Register button below to join our community! If you are already a member, please log-in!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Pug Authority Forum
Welcome to the Pug Authority forum!

This is a fun, supportive community of pug owners who are dedicated to sharing our experiences regarding responsible pug ownership and learning from others.

You are currently viewing the forum as guest which does not give you the same access as members. Please click the Register button below to join our community! If you are already a member, please log-in!
Pug Authority Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Worried about Sue-Shi

+3
northernwitch
TxAllieGrl
MackandMattiesMom
7 posters

Go down

Worried about Sue-Shi Empty Worried about Sue-Shi

Post  MackandMattiesMom 6/24/2010, 6:11 pm

For the past two days, Sue-Shi has been acting weird. I had a migraine yesterday so spent most of the day in bed. When I went out to let them out and feed them dinner, Sue-Shi went out back as normal. She came flying into the house and hid under the baker's rack - something she's never done. She wouldn't come out and I had to coax her out with a carrot. After she ate, she came and sat on the couch, but kept staring down the hallway towards the baker's rack and did that all night. She followed me everywhere. She wouldn't go outside last night after dark or this morning when it was still dark out. She acted fine most of the day until I just let them out for dinner and she did the same thing as yesterday.

I'm thinking something outside is possibly spooking her, but not sure what. The back neighbor has roosters, but they're not new. Nothing has changed around here at all. She's going to the bathroom normally. She's almost 11 months old now. I've felt around on her and she doesn't seem to be in any pain and other than hiding and staring down the hall, she's acting normal. Any suggestions?
MackandMattiesMom
MackandMattiesMom

Number of posts : 2609

Back to top Go down

Worried about Sue-Shi Empty Re: Worried about Sue-Shi

Post  TxAllieGrl 6/24/2010, 6:14 pm

it does sound like something spooked her while she was outside. a big bug, or lizard or something maybe? It's hard to know if you didn't see anything...

maybe go out with her next time and reward her for being outside? show her that it's a good thing again?

TxAllieGrl

Number of posts : 5801

Back to top Go down

Post  MackandMattiesMom 6/24/2010, 6:46 pm

I have been going out with her today. She goes out fine in the daytime, but won't budge after dark. When she goes out in the daytime, she still runs inside and hides. I was just washing up lunch dishes and she stood in the doorway staring into the dining room where the baker's rack is. I'm starting to think she sees dead people! I haven't seen anything outside to scare her and she loves lizards, they're her play toy.
MackandMattiesMom
MackandMattiesMom

Back to top Go down

Post  northernwitch 6/24/2010, 6:49 pm

Second Fear Period

Many
dogs will show a rise in their level of aggression (reactivity) during this
time. They may become protective and territorial, and may make a new attempt
to dominate owners. Incidents of teenage flakiness may recur.

6 to 14 months

In large breeds this period could extend longer
since it is tied to sexual maturity. Incidents may occur more than once.

Worried about Sue-Shi Clip_image001

Corresponds
with growth spurts. Therefore it may happen more than once as the puppy
matures.

May
suddenly be apprehensive about new things or shy or timid of new people or
situations. Most of height growing is over, but pup will start to fill out
over the coming year.

Puppy
begins to mature sexually: male begins to lift leg, and female has first heat
period anywhere from 6-12 months. Puppy coat being replaced by adult coat,
starting down the spine.

This is a fear of new situations and are handled with the utmost patience.
The dog is encouraged to work it out on his own. If anything, it is better to
ignore the whole situation than to reinforce the fear by praising the dog or
petting him while he is afraid. When you "reassure" a dog with pets
and "it's okay, fella", you are telling him it is okay to be
frightened and you are creating a potential problem.

If your
puppy appears apprehensive, avoid confrontation.

Build
confidence through training.

Avoid
any potentially overwhelming circumstances you cannot personally oversee,
such as shipping your pup in the cargo bay of an airplane.

northernwitch
northernwitch

Number of posts : 11031

http://www.pugalug.com

Back to top Go down

Post  northernwitch 6/24/2010, 6:49 pm

Sabra:
The above is from an article on Puppy Development. I can send you the whole article if you're interested, but she's right in the middle of the second fear stage.
northernwitch
northernwitch

Back to top Go down

Post  MackandMattiesMom 6/24/2010, 6:51 pm

Ahhhh, thanks Blanche! I was really starting to worry. It sounds exactly like what she's doing. I couldn't remember if Mack had done anything like this as a puppy. All I could remember was that he barked his head off anytime we moved a piece of furniture or something was out of place.
MackandMattiesMom
MackandMattiesMom

Back to top Go down

Post  northernwitch 6/24/2010, 7:32 pm

MackandMattiesMom wrote:Ahhhh, thanks Blanche! I was really starting to worry. It sounds exactly like what she's doing. I couldn't remember if Mack had done anything like this as a puppy. All I could remember was that he barked his head off anytime we moved a piece of furniture or something was out of place.
Tell her that Pippin has decided that TV remotes are evil incarnate. He was fine with them last week. This week, they scare the hell out of him. And yard waste bags. Very bad things, yard waste bags.
northernwitch
northernwitch

Back to top Go down

Post  pugasaurus 6/24/2010, 7:33 pm

Haw! Blanche beat me to the punch. She's a teenager now and coming out of the socialization window. Things like caution cones, random flapping paper, fabric and the notorious plastic bag are now your dog's sworn enemy. Luckily it's a fleeting thing with most pugs, count your blessings you don't have a GSD or Dobie, this is when they discover they can bark. Really loud. Worried about Sue-Shi Icon_eek
pugasaurus
pugasaurus

Number of posts : 1117

Back to top Go down

Post  northernwitch 6/24/2010, 7:39 pm

pugasaurus wrote:Haw! Blanche beat me to the punch. She's a teenager now and coming out of the socialization window. Things like caution cones, random flapping paper, fabric and the notorious plastic bag are now your dog's sworn enemy. Luckily it's a fleeting thing with most pugs, count your blessings you don't have a GSD or Dobie, this is when they discover they can bark. Really loud. Worried about Sue-Shi Icon_eek
So then Pippin is part GSD or Dobie? Mind you, while he's very loud, it's not really a bark, but this God Awful yodelly screamy noise. Enters your body at the base of the spine and shoots out the top of your head.....
northernwitch
northernwitch

Back to top Go down

Post  Pugsaunt 6/24/2010, 7:44 pm

Penny still has her moments of seeing things and barking and screaming at them. Last night, it was my sandals. Evil incarnate. I couldn't even put them on to take her walkie, I had to wear my crocs. A while back, it was the pot rack. Today, there is something in the garage, and she won't go out there if the light is off, and stands about 10 feet away from the garage door, barking and yelling at it, whatever it is. I have long known that she sees things that I don't.
Pugsaunt
Pugsaunt

Number of posts : 6877

Back to top Go down

Post  MackandMattiesMom 6/24/2010, 8:41 pm

I suppose I'm lucky that she has yet to really discover her bark. I've heard it a few times when she's trying to get Mack or Mattie to play, but that's it. Mack and Mattie bark their head off at the neighbor dog, who barks at the wind blowing and Sue-Shi looks at them like they're nuts. She was also afraid of the new garbage bag today and she usually attacks them when I open them up. I'm so relieved it's all normal.
MackandMattiesMom
MackandMattiesMom

Back to top Go down

Post  Eph91 6/24/2010, 9:03 pm

I'm glad to hear it's all normal, too! I had forgotten about this, but remember learning about it in puppy school.
Eph91
Eph91

Number of posts : 2839

Back to top Go down

Post  Aussie Witch 6/25/2010, 1:44 am

Interesting article Blanche! I hope this is what it is Sabra.
Aussie Witch
Aussie Witch

Number of posts : 8556

Back to top Go down

Post  MackandMattiesMom 6/26/2010, 12:16 am

Okay, so how do I handle this being scared of going outside thing? Now she's afraid to go out in the daytime too. She'll go out, walk to the end of the patio, and haul tail back into the house and hide. Of course, that leads to potty accidents and I don't want her to get used to peeing in the house. I've been going out with her with a treat and she couldn't care less about a treat. Do I just let her do whatever until she gets over it and retrain her to potty outside? It's not a huge deal because we do have tile, but I want to make sure I'm doing the right thing.

ETA (9am Saturday): Dennis let them out early this morning (it was still dark) and she was fine. I just let them out again (daytime) and she's fine. I guess she's over it. Worried about Sue-Shi Icon_cheers

Last edited by MackandMattiesMom on 6/26/2010, 12:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
MackandMattiesMom
MackandMattiesMom

Back to top Go down

Post  pugasaurus 6/26/2010, 11:44 am

If it continues, keep taking her out like it's no big deal. Lots of people instinctively coax and baby-talk the dog while she/he is doing whatever scares them which is pretty normal and human. but the dog is actually being rewarded for acting fearful.

Take her outside act like it's no big deal and she'll take her cue from you. If she shows any interest or curiosity about being outside, that's when you heap on the praise so that she's being rewarded for acting brave.

If it doesn't improve, I'd try planting a few treats outside where it's easy for her to find them. She'll find the treats and suddenly going outside is fun! By doing this, I've seen dogs who hated going outside suddenly love it. After awhile the treats go away.
pugasaurus
pugasaurus

Number of posts : 1117

Back to top Go down

Post  MackandMattiesMom 6/26/2010, 11:58 am

Thanks, Karen. So far, she's fine today. I was just acting normal when she was going out, but leaving the door open so she can get back inside. If I didn't she would go hide under my nephew's car (he's restoring an old car here in our backyard) and I couldn't get her out from under it. It's way too hot here for her to be out very long so I wanted her to at least be able to get inside when she freaked. Otherwise, I didn't do anything differently. Hopefully this is the end of it, she was breaking my heart. I didn't baby her or anything, but it was really hard not to!
MackandMattiesMom
MackandMattiesMom

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down