Pug Authority Forum
Welcome to the Pug Authority forum!

This is a fun, supportive community of pug owners who are dedicated to sharing our experiences regarding responsible pug ownership and learning from others.

You are currently viewing the forum as guest which does not give you the same access as members. Please click the Register button below to join our community! If you are already a member, please log-in!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Pug Authority Forum
Welcome to the Pug Authority forum!

This is a fun, supportive community of pug owners who are dedicated to sharing our experiences regarding responsible pug ownership and learning from others.

You are currently viewing the forum as guest which does not give you the same access as members. Please click the Register button below to join our community! If you are already a member, please log-in!
Pug Authority Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Talk to me about MCTs.

+10
Aussie Witch
Renee
akc0104
puglover22
papaspugs
Saira
Eph91
TxAllieGrl
Tyson&LuLu'sMom
MommaJones
14 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Talk to me about MCTs. Empty Talk to me about MCTs.

Post  MommaJones 8/18/2010, 9:51 am

So Freddy Jones has a small bump on his stomach, almost like an extra pinkish nipple. This morning, I noticed that it is a little bigger. We have an appointment at the vet at 1:30 today. I've just assumed it was some kind of pimple thing that would go away, but with the enlargement, it makes me worry. I googled MCT and some of the images that come up look like what he has.

What should I expect at the vet visit? What questions should I ask? Will I have answers today?

Ugh.
MommaJones
MommaJones

Number of posts : 3761

Back to top Go down

Talk to me about MCTs. Empty Re: Talk to me about MCTs.

Post  MommaJones 8/18/2010, 10:29 am

Trying to add pics, but all I get is the red X.

The "nipple" bump
http://flic.kr/p/8tmBsZ

MommaJones
MommaJones

Back to top Go down

Post  Tyson&LuLu'sMom 8/18/2010, 10:40 am

I'm sorry I don't have any advice or suggestions to offer. I just wanted to tell you I'm thinking good thoughts for Freddy Jones.
Tyson&LuLu'sMom
Tyson&LuLu'sMom

Number of posts : 3776

Back to top Go down

Post  TxAllieGrl 8/18/2010, 10:46 am

Christy - I don't know much about MCTs, but I do know that if that is what is suspected, they should aspirate it to look at the cells and determine if it is an MCT or just a cyst.

TxAllieGrl

Number of posts : 5801

Back to top Go down

Post  Eph91 8/18/2010, 10:52 am

I can tell you my vet always tells me right then and there if there are mast cells, if he is able to aspirate it (and it sounds like your vet will be able to given the location and the size); we knew Emmet's right away, and got him in for surgery a few days later.

I hope it's nothing, but I would say with it changing size, I'd be prepared to hear that it is; keep in mind though, with low grade and clean margins, he'll be fine! Sending good wishes to you and FJ!
Eph91
Eph91

Number of posts : 2839

Back to top Go down

Post  MommaJones 8/18/2010, 11:12 am

Please forgive my ignorance:
To aspirate it will he have to be sedated? Is is just poking in a needle and pulling something (fluid, tissue) out? Will they be able to get results right away?

The more I try to talk myself off the ledge, the farther out I seem to be leaning. I hate this stuff.
MommaJones
MommaJones

Back to top Go down

Post  TxAllieGrl 8/18/2010, 11:23 am

generally it's a needle aspiration, and no sedation is needed. they can generally tell if it's just fluid, or a type of cell to be concerned about right away (looking at them under the microscope).

:)

TxAllieGrl

Back to top Go down

Post  Saira 8/18/2010, 11:34 am

MommaJones wrote:Please forgive my ignorance:
To aspirate it will he have to be sedated? Is is just poking in a needle and pulling something (fluid, tissue) out? Will they be able to get results right away?

The more I try to talk myself off the ledge, the farther out I seem to be leaning. I hate this stuff.

They can usually do it without sedation. Usually they can look at it right away and see if it needs to come out. Then if it comes out, it takes a few days to tell you what the margins/grades are. We have dealt with a lot of MCTs in rescue, the majority are low grade/clean margins, which is good-generally then you just have to watch them to make sure more don't come back or new ones pop up.

Saira
Saira

Number of posts : 8302

http://www.rescuepugs.com

Back to top Go down

Post  MommaJones 8/18/2010, 12:11 pm

I'm guessing that if they say he needs surgery, this will be scheduled for a later day? I'm not prepared to just leave him there today.

Alex decided he's going to make the best of this: One of his favorite things to do is eat at Sonic or A&W, lay down the back seats, spread out sleeping bag, pillows and blankets and have a "picnic". So he wants to head over before the vet appt and take The Boys on a "picnic". After that I'll take FJ to the vet and my mom will hang out with Alex and Toby with the A/C running. I love how Alex always makes something a little better.
MommaJones
MommaJones

Back to top Go down

Post  papaspugs 8/18/2010, 12:18 pm

Yes, they should aspirate then and there. They should be able to put under the scope to see if they are MCTs. No matter what you see on Google images, MCT can take on a variety of shapes, forms, and sizes. Teddy had MCT that the vet was convinced they weren't, but they were. Baby Girl has places pop up that look like MCT, but they are skin allergy problems.

If they are, you vet will set up a sugery date for him to come back. When they are caught early, removed with clean margins, and diagnosed low grade, then there ususally aren't any further complications.

MCT release histamines to talk to your vet about giving him benadryl before the surgery, after, and possible long term. Your vet can develope a plan based on the results.

Pug hugs!
papaspugs
papaspugs

Number of posts : 2297

Back to top Go down

Post  puglover22 8/18/2010, 12:29 pm

MCT's used to pop up on Junior like weeds.....we were constantly going to the vet to get them removed. Luckily his vet is skilled in the laser, and he had laser surgery for most of them, although his first one he went under because he had like 7 or 8 of them. After the initial surgery, she would just laser them off as they came up. It's safer, less invasive, and cheaper than traditional surgery. Please ask your vet if they use a laser, and if this becomes a regular occurance, you might want to find one that does. Don't worry, Freddy Jones will be ok.....it's good that you caught it.
puglover22
puglover22

Number of posts : 608

Back to top Go down

Post  MommaJones 8/18/2010, 12:33 pm

puglover22 wrote:MCT's used to pop up on Junior like weeds.....we were constantly going to the vet to get them removed. Luckily his vet is skilled in the laser, and he had laser surgery for most of them, although his first one he went under because he had like 7 or 8 of them. After the initial surgery, she would just laser them off as they came up. It's safer, less invasive, and cheaper than traditional surgery. Please ask your vet if they use a laser, and if this becomes a regular occurance, you might want to find one that does. Don't worry, Freddy Jones will be ok.....it's good that you caught it.
I will ask about the laser, if surgery is necessary. When I was talking to my husband about all this, he suggested taking Freddy to the K-State vet school. We took him up there a couple of years when we thought he would have to have surgery on his eyelids. (He didn't.) They might have the laser up there. We are in a small, rural area. I would be surprised if the vet has a laser. But it's an option to consider. Thanks for letting me know about it. I saw the pictures of Mochi's incision and am a little freaked out.
MommaJones
MommaJones

Back to top Go down

Post  puglover22 8/18/2010, 12:35 pm

yes they are a little shocking the first time you see it......Junior looked like a little patchwork quilt....he had long long incisions all over, but that's what's necessisary to get clean margins......so don't panic!
puglover22
puglover22

Back to top Go down

Post  akc0104 8/18/2010, 12:39 pm

I don't don't have any experience so I'm sending you and Freddy a great big hug dog
akc0104
akc0104

Number of posts : 1742

Back to top Go down

Post  Renee 8/18/2010, 12:54 pm

Good luck Christy and FJ. I know you must be just sick with worry! I wish I had something to add, but I don't have experience with MCT's, so I'll just add my good thoughts and puggy vibes.

Renee
Renee

Number of posts : 5694

http://www.polarpug.org

Back to top Go down

Post  Aussie Witch 8/18/2010, 2:29 pm

Lots of good thoughts Christy. Alex is one special kid - I love what he does.

You've had good advice here from experienced people. I've had experience with them at all stages and have had good results. If they're gonna have an MCT the stomach is a good place as the ability to get clean margins is good, because of all the extra skin. Hope it's something innocuous like a lipoma. Big hugs.
Aussie Witch
Aussie Witch

Number of posts : 8556

Back to top Go down

Post  Eph91 8/18/2010, 2:40 pm

I think everyone has covered this, but yes, sorry I wasn't clear...it's a needle aspiration (no sedation--I just help hold); the vet looks at the tissue on a slide and tells you if there are mast cells in a few minutes. (Long few minutes!)

Typically, if surgery is warranted, it won't be same-day, but my vet was nice and got us in pretty quickly--either later that week or the next week. And as Rona said, if it is a MCT, it's in a good spot to get extra tissue and clean margins. (Emmet's was on his leg, and therefore difficult because there isn't extra "meat" there, so he actually had to have 2 surgeries to get them).

Keep us posted. I know it's impossible not to worry (I cried when I saw the first results--because it was grade 2, dirty margins--but the vet explained there are 2 grade 2s: grade 2 low and grade 2 high--and E's was "low" and therefore not that bad), but there are many of us who have gone through it and we'll be here for you!

Let us know what you find out!

Last edited by Eph91 on 8/18/2010, 2:53 pm; edited 2 times in total
Eph91
Eph91

Back to top Go down

Post  sallyandtilly 8/18/2010, 2:50 pm

Fingers crossed that it is just a little nothing.
sallyandtilly
sallyandtilly

Number of posts : 3150

Back to top Go down

Post  MommaJones 8/18/2010, 3:35 pm

SKIN TAG!!!

Thank goodness!!

The vet did not aspirate it. He was 99.9% certain that it's nothing more than a skin tag. He said he could clearly feel it only in the skin. He could not feel a stalk or any attachment to anything inside. I felt around it and I can see what he's talking about. I now know what to feel for, and he said if it gets bigger or has any changes to come back and we'll take further steps. Does all of this sound right to you guys? Should I have insisted on having it aspirated?

He also said (without me asking) that they have a laser and can laser it right off. He said he could laser the skin tag, if I wanted, but it was not necessary at all. He said I could drop him off at 8am, they could do heavy sedation with a local, laser it off and I could pick FJ up by noon...if it becomes necessary to go this route. They send it off to K-State for analysis and go from there.

I feel MUCH better! I'll continue to keep an eye on it. Hopefully nothing changes.

Thanks for all the advice and answering my questions and all the good thoughts. I love my little FJ so much!!!!
MommaJones
MommaJones

Back to top Go down

Post  TxAllieGrl 8/18/2010, 3:39 pm

WHEW.

I say keep an eye on it, and if it changes, or if you have to put him under for another reason (dental, etc.), consider removing later. No sense torturing the boy if it's not a huge concern.

Angel had a fatty sort of bump on her chest...it was aspirated and found to be just fluid and nothing harmful. We left it there until she had her dental.

WHEW. So relieved!

TxAllieGrl

Back to top Go down

Post  Renee 8/18/2010, 4:13 pm

Darn good news!!!! YEAH!

I agree with the vet, and Allie...just watch it and consider removing later.
Renee
Renee

Number of posts : 5694

http://www.polarpug.org

Back to top Go down

Post  Eph91 8/18/2010, 9:15 pm

What Allie said. If he has to go under for something else, I'd have it removed, but otherwise, just keep an eye on it. If it changes at all, I'd have it aspirated.

That is great news! Very Happy
Eph91
Eph91

Back to top Go down

Post  Pugsaunt 8/18/2010, 10:35 pm

Wow. Two lovely words. Skin Tag. Please give him a hug from me and one from Penny, too.
Pugsaunt
Pugsaunt

Number of posts : 6877

Back to top Go down

Post  puglover22 8/19/2010, 9:56 am

FANTASTIC NEWS!!!!!!

I'm glad he's got a laser just in case for anything in the future!

now you can relax!!

puglover22
puglover22

Back to top Go down

Post  MommaJones 8/19/2010, 10:56 am

Thanks everyone! We are so happy and relieved!
puglover22 wrote:

I'm glad he's got a laser just in case for anything in the future!
I was really surprised when he started talking about the laser. I guess even out here in the sticks, they are keeping up with technology. That's really good to know!
MommaJones
MommaJones

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next