Pug Authority Forum
Welcome to the Pug Authority forum!

This is a fun, supportive community of pug owners who are dedicated to sharing our experiences regarding responsible pug ownership and learning from others.

You are currently viewing the forum as guest which does not give you the same access as members. Please click the Register button below to join our community! If you are already a member, please log-in!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Pug Authority Forum
Welcome to the Pug Authority forum!

This is a fun, supportive community of pug owners who are dedicated to sharing our experiences regarding responsible pug ownership and learning from others.

You are currently viewing the forum as guest which does not give you the same access as members. Please click the Register button below to join our community! If you are already a member, please log-in!
Pug Authority Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ethoxyquin in dog foods

5 posters

Go down

Ethoxyquin in dog foods Empty Ethoxyquin in dog foods

Post  northernwitch 9/9/2010, 10:39 pm

Renee PMed me about this and I found the thread and figured I'd repost it given the Blue Buffalo issue

This is from another Pug Forum with permission to cross post. It's discouraging to say the least:

"Please stop using the following till Jan 2011:

o Solid Gold [all except the Holistique Blendz formula]
o Taste of the Wild [kibble and canned food]
o Artemis [kibble and canned food]
o Canidae [all except the Chicken and Lamb formulas]

Story below:

We became aware that the FDA requires ALL imported fish-meal to be treated with the preservative ethoxyquin. Ethoxyquin is also used in jet fuel, cosmetics and in some human foods. The levels allowed in pet food is substantially higher than that allowed for human consumption. It is a known carcinogen that targets the liver and spleen.

While many commercial pet foods use imported fish-meal, many of the holistic manufacturers have applied for a special exception, allowing them to use other preservatives like Naturox, which is a natural alternative
to ethoxyq uin.

Earlier this month we contacted all of the manufacturing companies that had fish listed on the ingredient panel to find out:

1) Was it imported fish
2) If imported what preservative was being used

We found that the following brands of food contained fish meal treated with ethoxyquin:

o Solid Gold [all except the Holistique Blendz formula]
o Taste of the Wild [kibble and canned food]
o Artemis [kibble and canned food]
o Canidae [all except the Chicken and Lamb formulas]

We contacted the manufacturer's representative, and were informed that
approximately 6 months ago they began shelf-testing Naturox, and will finish with the shelf trial towards the end of this year. Hopefully at that time all ethoxyquin treated fish meal will be eliminated from the foods listed above.

While the products only contain trace amounts of this preservative, our feeling is that a healthy animal might be fine on the food, whereas genetics, immune compromised states, and other factors could influence whether an animal develops cancer over time."
northernwitch
northernwitch

Number of posts : 11031

http://www.pugalug.com

Back to top Go down

Ethoxyquin in dog foods Empty Re: Ethoxyquin in dog foods

Post  MackandMattiesMom 9/9/2010, 11:04 pm

Oh wonderful. Mack and Sue-Shi are on Taste of the Wild and Mattie was switched from that a few weeks ago (she didn't like it) to Solid Gold. I thought these were some of the better foods. Sure wish I was confident enough to make my own raw.
MackandMattiesMom
MackandMattiesMom

Number of posts : 2609

Back to top Go down

Post  Renee 9/9/2010, 11:45 pm

Thanks for posting Blanche.

I'll be honest, I really liked the ingredient list for Taste of the Wild. Not in my "wildest" dreams did I think about ingredients that would be in there that don't have to be listed.

Sad right now.

I just went and picked up some Wellness Core for my fosters.
Renee
Renee

Number of posts : 5694

http://www.polarpug.org

Back to top Go down

Post  Miss Pit 9/10/2010, 12:16 am

Well frick! I just changed Clara from California Natural(due to Natura brand being sold)to Canidae no grain.

Thanks for posting this!

Trish

Miss Pit

Number of posts : 986

Back to top Go down

Post  Pugsaunt 9/10/2010, 12:29 am

Crap! Penny's just finishing off a bag of TOW fish. Back to Orijen! And I'll pass this on to Scraps.
Pugsaunt
Pugsaunt

Number of posts : 6877

Back to top Go down

Post  Renee 9/10/2010, 1:05 am

Pugsaunt wrote:Crap! Penny's just finishing off a bag of TOW fish. Back to Orijen! And I'll pass this on to Scraps.

Yes, I'll be passing this on to our local seller Paw Prince. Crying or Very sad
Renee
Renee

Number of posts : 5694

http://www.polarpug.org

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down