Pug Authority Forum
Welcome to the Pug Authority forum!

This is a fun, supportive community of pug owners who are dedicated to sharing our experiences regarding responsible pug ownership and learning from others.

You are currently viewing the forum as guest which does not give you the same access as members. Please click the Register button below to join our community! If you are already a member, please log-in!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Pug Authority Forum
Welcome to the Pug Authority forum!

This is a fun, supportive community of pug owners who are dedicated to sharing our experiences regarding responsible pug ownership and learning from others.

You are currently viewing the forum as guest which does not give you the same access as members. Please click the Register button below to join our community! If you are already a member, please log-in!
Pug Authority Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

How do I "rescue" from someone like this?

+8
Maryjo
northernwitch
Renee
Saira
TxAllieGrl
pugpillow
Puggered
juneau hunter
12 posters

Go down

How do I "rescue" from someone like this? Empty How do I "rescue" from someone like this?

Post  juneau hunter 10/13/2010, 11:09 am

Here is today's ad in our local kijiji:

I'm reposting this ad be cause i want people to know if they call me from a long distance number I can not call them back please try again. Hes a out dooor dog and what I mean by that is I got him for 600 he was not trained and I though i could but took on a secound job so I couldn't. He is not fixed alot of people ask me that I don't believe in fixing a anamail its just not in me... he's had all his shots I didn't get him from a pure breed place thats why I don't have papers but hes a great looking dog to breed ... alot of people say you fix them its better but I think would you want someone to do that to u? I don't think hes a pure breed by owning him I think hes got jack russel in him and they are smart dogs... I won't know but hes all pug to me...Im a single mom with one son and this is his dog, he knows that between the two of us we cant give this dog what he needs please someone give this dog love hes so happy and loving just needs that back...

She wants $400 for the dog. I want to offer her zero and ensure that he gets fixed and I find him a really good forever home. How would you approach this? Or should I just let it go? Blanche, I am emailing Dagmar Skalar today about starting a proper rescue in New Brunswick. The pugs are popping up everywhere all of a sudden. This ad really makes me sick.

juneau hunter
juneau hunter

Number of posts : 2896

Back to top Go down

How do I "rescue" from someone like this? Empty Re: How do I "rescue" from someone like this?

Post  Puggered 10/13/2010, 11:38 am

Don't offer any money. All you can do is leave your contact details and advise that you find loving homes for unwanted pug and pug crosses, but that you first ensure that they get up to the mark medical treatment and are desexed to prevent expensive future medical bills for prostate cancer {and for extra overkill :so they are not at risk of being snatched for a US puppy farm or by an unscrupulous evil byb who will cram them into foul cages OTT I know but keep it in your arsenal if you sense a wavering}. Offer to cover his desexing and medical costs if she surrenders him to you. (Got those contracts ready?)

If she seems receptive on the phone you may to explain why breeding from a dog that hasn't undergone expensive x-rays/ultrasounds/blood tests etc to prove that it won't be passing on bad genes is not a good idea, but I wouldn't bother if you sense that she won't listen. You are a good person and it won't be long before you will be able to tell those who love their dog and wish they didn't have to part with him from those who see him as a bit of furniture to be traded in.

That's all you can do. For every ten advertisers like this that you approach to accept a surrender, you can expect probably nine refusals. There's nothing you can do if they refuse, so don't stress over it. Or come here and vent to get it out of your system.

There may be local laws re trading of live animals that you can quote at them but I wouldn't know about those.

Oh, and stock up on bellybands and emergency time-out crates! Laughing
Puggered
Puggered

Number of posts : 1517

Back to top Go down

How do I "rescue" from someone like this? Empty Re: How do I "rescue" from someone like this?

Post  pugpillow 10/13/2010, 12:04 pm

Personally, I wouldn't mention about your intention to neuter. Since she's obviously got strong opinions about it, it would probably eliminate any chance you might have to get the boy. And don't pay anything - this is really important in rescuing and you don't want to set a precedent.
pugpillow
pugpillow

Number of posts : 944

Back to top Go down

Post  TxAllieGrl 10/13/2010, 12:07 pm

I don't think I'd even mention that you would neuter him...she clearly doesn't value that, and I don't know that you can change her mind.

I would do as Angela outlined and give her your contact information, explain that you are involved in rescue (be vague if you need to) and can help find good homes. you can explain the screening process, and tell her that if she would surrender/give the dog to you, you can make sure it finds the perfect home.

i would not offer to pay for the dog.

and if you don't hear from her, I wouldn't be surprised. based on what she's written, she probably wants to recoup some of the cost of the dog...

and if by chance you do, i'd consider how to pay for those vet bills - besides neutering the poor guy, i would doubt he's had much vet care, if any...

good luck Tarrington. this is when rescue gets hard.

TxAllieGrl

Number of posts : 5801

Back to top Go down

Post  Saira 10/13/2010, 12:33 pm

You have gotten good advice already. It's really hard not to offer money but as the others said, it sets a bad precedent. I'd emphasize the part about finding a loving home where you can screen them, etc-play up that aspect since she mentioned she wants to find a good home (although most times they are really just interested in money). And don't be disappointed if you don't hear back. We try to send an email to all the CL ads here, but I think we've gotten maybe 3 pugs from there out of 100's. It's frustrating!
Saira
Saira

Number of posts : 8302

http://www.rescuepugs.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Renee 10/13/2010, 12:45 pm

Sometimes it helps to try and meet in person. You can get your point accross about what a wonderful home you will be able to provide, and so on.

Yeah, I would not mention the neutering either.

People like this make me sick.
Renee
Renee

Number of posts : 5694

http://www.polarpug.org

Back to top Go down

Post  northernwitch 10/13/2010, 12:49 pm

Yep--not much to add except to say this: You can't save them all. You will want to and you will do your best, but some you simply won't be able to save. We never, ever pay for a dog. It's a horrific precedent to set and is one that you have a hard time backing out of once you've set it.

Get used to this--this is one of those ads where you offer to take the dog, will likely get turned down because she wants $$ and then you will worry, but it is what it is.

northernwitch
northernwitch

Number of posts : 11031

http://www.pugalug.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Saira 10/13/2010, 12:54 pm

northernwitch wrote:Yep--not much to add except to say this: You can't save them all. You will want to and you will do your best, but some you simply won't be able to save. We never, ever pay for a dog. It's a horrific precedent to set and is one that you have a hard time backing out of once you've set it.

Get used to this--this is one of those ads where you offer to take the dog, will likely get turned down because she wants $$ and then you will worry, but it is what it is.

And get used to worrying, because if you are in rescue, that's all you will be doing. Very Happy
Saira
Saira

Back to top Go down

Post  juneau hunter 10/13/2010, 1:05 pm

Thanks everyone! I cut and paste all the good stuff you all wrote and sent it on to her. I'll see what happens.

Yeah...the vet bills...I remember Blanche saying once upon a time ago, that she had put aside money every month for years, for dogs/rescue/etc. So, in addition to pet insurance each month, I have started putting some aside for all the dogs out there. I don't want to pay for a dog (although I did pay $100 for Rosco) but I am prepared to pay for neutering/spaying and shots. This is why I need to talk to some of Blanche's people in Ontario and find out how they get vets involved and other funding, etc.

You are all an endless supply of advice.
juneau hunter
juneau hunter

Number of posts : 2896

Back to top Go down

Post  Saira 10/13/2010, 1:09 pm

juneau hunter wrote:Thanks everyone! I cut and paste all the good stuff you all wrote and sent it on to her. I'll see what happens.

Yeah...the vet bills...I remember Blanche saying once upon a time ago, that she had put aside money every month for years, for dogs/rescue/etc. So, in addition to pet insurance each month, I have started putting some aside for all the dogs out there. I don't want to pay for a dog (although I did pay $100 for Rosco) but I am prepared to pay for neutering/spaying and shots. This is why I need to talk to some of Blanche's people in Ontario and find out how they get vets involved and other funding, etc.

You are all an endless supply of advice.

Tarrington, if you can, start shopping around for a vet that will give you a discount. Our first year vet bills were atrocious-we thought we were getting a good deal but we were not. We finally found a vet who is amazing, and it's the only way we can afford to keep going.
Saira
Saira

Back to top Go down

Post  Maryjo 10/13/2010, 1:26 pm

pugpillow wrote:Personally, I wouldn't mention about your intention to neuter. .

I wouldn't mention the neutering either, just the rescue part...

Maryjo
Maryjo

Number of posts : 4954

http://www.maryjoalaska.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Renee 10/13/2010, 1:30 pm

We have an awesome vet too! They don't overcharge - they give us a great discount. They let us pay on account. I am very happy. I take my own pugs there. They are a small family owned clinic, and I think that makes a difference. I cannot imagine how much more our fees would be if we didn't go there!
Renee
Renee

Back to top Go down

Post  Maryjo 10/13/2010, 1:43 pm

I send an email to each and every pug or pug mix I find on Craigslist. I say who we are, and that the dog would be in a foster home until we find his perfect 'forever' home.

Only once have we ever gotten a dog that way.

As you get more and more into rescue, be prepared for disappointment. The people posting on craigslist are in it for the money. For all you know, they GOT that dog from someone else on craigslist and are re-selling it there. They could be lying thru their teeth. hair pull

Maryjo
Maryjo

Back to top Go down

Post  smoochieface 10/13/2010, 2:10 pm

northernwitch wrote:Yep--not much to add except to say this: You can't save them all. You will want to and you will do your best, but some you simply won't be able to save. We never, ever pay for a dog. It's a horrific precedent to set and is one that you have a hard time backing out of once you've set it.

Totally agree.
smoochieface
smoochieface

Number of posts : 5123

Back to top Go down

Post  Lilos Mom 10/13/2010, 3:25 pm

We get emails all the time from people who've seen Pugs listed on cl. Like Blanche said, we can't save them all. I never ever look on cl because I know I'll just get pissed & upset.

The only time we pay for a Pug is if a shelter/humane society charges us a pull fee. Yep call us for help & charge us a pull fee. It's usually about $25.00 and most times whom ever is picking up for us just pays it and writes it off as a donation to the rescue.

Lilos Mom
Lilos Mom

Number of posts : 714

Back to top Go down

Post  Lilos Mom 10/13/2010, 3:27 pm

We get emails all the time from people who've seen Pugs listed on cl. Like Blanche said, we can't save them all. I never ever look on cl because I know I'll just get pissed & upset.

The only time we pay for a Pug is if a shelter/humane society charges us a pull fee. Yep call us for help & charge us a pull fee. It's usually about $25.00 and most times whom ever is picking up for us just pays it and writes it off as a donation to the rescue.

Lilos Mom
Lilos Mom

Number of posts : 714

Back to top Go down

Post  Saira 10/13/2010, 3:28 pm

Lilos Mom wrote:We get emails all the time from people who've seen Pugs listed on cl. Like Blanche said, we can't save them all. I never ever look on cl because I know I'll just get pissed & upset.

Oh we get that too! They would otherwise euthanize them, but we get to pay between 10 to 60 dollars. Rolling Eyes
Saira
Saira

Back to top Go down

Post  TxAllieGrl 10/13/2010, 3:34 pm

Lilos Mom wrote:We get emails all the time from people who've seen Pugs listed on cl. Like Blanche said, we can't save them all. I never ever look on cl because I know I'll just get pissed & upset.

yes, we get that "help" too. and as a wise rescuer told me, "we don't need help finding more pugs".

Lilos Mom wrote:

Saira wrote:

Oh we get that too! They would otherwise euthanize them, but we get to pay between 10 to 60 dollars. Rolling Eyes

Yep, DFW gets that too. We'd rather pay the shelter fee and have the shelter continue to call us to pick up pugs. In the big scheme of things, the shelter fee is a very small fee compared to the vet bills we incur. Kind of like the shelter fee is a "good will" fee - paying it enables us to save more pugs (in the long run) vs. having them euthanized, or end up in a home that may not be a good fit and start the cycle all over again when they are resurrendered.

TxAllieGrl

Number of posts : 5801

Back to top Go down

Post  pugasaurus 10/13/2010, 3:56 pm

We would call on the dog, tell that we did rescue and would find the dog a good home. If the person said they wanted money, we'd explain that we couldn't pay for the dog, but if no one wanted to pay for the dog, to give us a call. We got a litter of Cardigan Welsh corgis this way. I think the lady sold a few, but the ones she couldn't sell, she asked us to come and get and they all eventually ended up in good homes.
pugasaurus
pugasaurus

Number of posts : 1117

Back to top Go down

Post  Saira 10/13/2010, 4:09 pm

pugasaurus wrote:We would call on the dog, tell that we did rescue and would find the dog a good home. If the person said they wanted money, we'd explain that we couldn't pay for the dog, but if no one wanted to pay for the dog, to give us a call. We got a litter of Cardigan Welsh corgis this way. I think the lady sold a few, but the ones she couldn't sell, she asked us to come and get and they all eventually ended up in good homes.

Yes, that's a good way to leave it if they still want the money. One time the person insisted on $$, but we only said we could find him a good home. Well, because that pug only had one eye and was older, he couldn't sell the poor puggy so he eventually did call us.
Saira
Saira

Back to top Go down

Post  Renee 10/13/2010, 4:12 pm

We're on good terms with the shelter here. We paid one annual fee, and then don't have to pay a pull fee for the rest of the year, no matter how many we get - and we get quite a few. The shelter knows they can't provide for the dogs they get in that we take, especially the medical ones.
Renee
Renee

Back to top Go down

Post  Maryjo 10/13/2010, 4:56 pm

Renee wrote:.....We're on good terms with the shelter here. We paid one annual fee, and then don't have to pay a pull fee for the rest of the year, no matter how many we get - and we get quite a few. The shelter knows they can't provide for the dogs they get in that we take, especially the medical ones.

I just wanted to add to this statement by saying we now take ANY small dog that the shelter feels they can't adopt out, or needs medical attention ASAP. The municipal dog pound (what we call 'the shelter') does not budget to get a sick or injured dog medical treatment. In the past they would just put it to sleep. So we take the dog and have to get the medical treatment done, paying for it from the donations we get.

Since it is rare for a pug to come into the shelter, Vickie started taking other small dogs that needed vet care. So that is why we are now 'Polar Pug Rescue and Friends' (PPRaF). Very Happy

Maryjo
Maryjo

Back to top Go down

Post  northernwitch 10/13/2010, 5:03 pm

We've been lucky--we don't often have to pay a pull fee, but we will pay it to a shelter. It's the owners who want $$ that I won't pay.
northernwitch
northernwitch

Number of posts : 11031

http://www.pugalug.com

Back to top Go down

Post  pugpillow 10/13/2010, 5:40 pm

I see paying a pull fee at a shelter as completely different from paying a breeder/owner. When paying a shelter, it's usually a nominal amount and may be offsetting the cost of something we'd have to do anyway - vaccinate, microchip or speuter. Paying a breeder is putting more money in their pockets so that they can breed all over again.
pugpillow
pugpillow

Number of posts : 944

Back to top Go down

Post  Denise M 10/13/2010, 8:51 pm

I have no advice since I do not rescue. (just donations and an occasional transport)

Tarrington...I think you are amazing. I will always be rooting for you and praying that all goes well.

The Ladies here have so much experience and give great advice. Hugs.
Denise M
Denise M

Number of posts : 109

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down