Pug Authority Forum
Welcome to the Pug Authority forum!

This is a fun, supportive community of pug owners who are dedicated to sharing our experiences regarding responsible pug ownership and learning from others.

You are currently viewing the forum as guest which does not give you the same access as members. Please click the Register button below to join our community! If you are already a member, please log-in!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Pug Authority Forum
Welcome to the Pug Authority forum!

This is a fun, supportive community of pug owners who are dedicated to sharing our experiences regarding responsible pug ownership and learning from others.

You are currently viewing the forum as guest which does not give you the same access as members. Please click the Register button below to join our community! If you are already a member, please log-in!
Pug Authority Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Pooping...

+3
GingerSnap
Maryjo
pugsandkids
7 posters

Go down

Pooping... Empty Pooping...

Post  pugsandkids 11/3/2010, 7:08 pm

Lucy has become our phantom pooper. I call it that because you'll be walking through the house and suddenly there's a poop! She's fully house trained, is not in any pain, perfect health...except for the poops. Is there anything to do, other then making sure she gets to go outside frequently, to help this problem? She is the oldest of our crew, 8, and I've always felt that her years before us aged her prematurely. She has to go a lot on our walks, or after playing.

We were in the living room the other night and I realized she was about to let one go, I got her attention quickly and scooted her outside. Hubby asks "Was she trying to go?" When I said no, he shrugged and said "well, she is the oldest one." Is that just the way it is? Any thoughts, or suggestions?
pugsandkids
pugsandkids

Number of posts : 2013

Back to top Go down

Pooping... Empty Re: Pooping...

Post  Maryjo 11/3/2010, 7:38 pm

My Beau had that problem all his life, but he had a congenital back defect in his lower back area.

I often think dogs that carry their tails up high or over their back are more affected. I had a Springer Spaniel that was that way in her older days. & I know of a couple other pugs, and one bulldog, with the same problem.

I don't have an answer, although maybe (if you can afford it) have an x-ray taken of her back to be sure she doesn't have a vertebre out of place that could be causing pain (even though she doesn't act like she's in pain). At least with an xray you'll have a starting point to see if her vertebre shift more. (How DO you spell 'vertebre'?)

Maryjo
Maryjo

Number of posts : 4954

http://www.maryjoalaska.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  GingerSnap 11/3/2010, 8:20 pm

Maryjo wrote:(How DO you spell 'vertebre'?)
Singular=vertebra. Plural=vertebrae. Gotta love Latin! Very Happy
GingerSnap
GingerSnap

Number of posts : 3547

Back to top Go down

Post  PugLady3 11/4/2010, 9:48 am

Over the last year, both Bella & Bud have both become "phantom poopers" as well. It's like it sneaks up on them & they don't realize that they have to go until it's too late. Bella is around 8 or 9 and Bud is almost 12. Yoda drops turds too but she has a spinal defect that's left her incontinent, so that's a whole different ball of wax (or ball of poop as it were! Laughing ).
PugLady3
PugLady3

Number of posts : 2562

http://www.northernillinoispugrescue.org

Back to top Go down

Post  pugsandkids 11/5/2010, 1:37 am

PugLady3 wrote:Over the last year, both Bella & Bud have both become "phantom poopers" as well. It's like it sneaks up on them & they don't realize that they have to go until it's too late. Bella is around 8 or 9 and Bud is almost 12. Yoda drops turds too but she has a spinal defect that's left her incontinent, so that's a whole different ball of wax (or ball of poop as it were! Laughing ).

Exactly, the night she was in the living room I watched her suddenly hunch, like it was unexpected. Hmmm, I like knowing that others have the same issue, makes me feel a bit better.
pugsandkids
pugsandkids

Number of posts : 2013

Back to top Go down

Post  smoochieface 11/5/2010, 1:48 am

Maryjo wrote:
I often think dogs that carry their tails up high or over their back are more affected. I had a Springer Spaniel that was that way in her older days. & I know of a couple other pugs, and one bulldog, with the same problem.

That's really interesting, Maryjo. Bruno carries his tail like that much more so than Chester or Leo. And if there is poop in the house, the culprit is 98% Bruno. But a lot of times, I think Bruno "just can't be bothered." He's been doing it all his life.

smoochieface
smoochieface

Number of posts : 5123

Back to top Go down

Post  Renee 11/5/2010, 12:44 pm

smoochieface wrote: "just can't be bothered." He's been doing it all his life.

This is exactly what I think when anyone poops in my house. Especially Tobey! She just can't be bothered. Oh well. I would much rather clean up poop than pee!
Renee
Renee

Number of posts : 5694

http://www.polarpug.org

Back to top Go down

Post  Aussie Witch 11/6/2010, 5:13 am

I have a pooper that due to back issues can't help it and a naughty one that prefers to do it in a particular spot, INSIDE the house, 8 times out of 10. Rolling Eyes I'm just glad she has finally learned that outside is the better place to pee and also how to ASK to go out if the doors are closed. The pooping is a work in progress....
Aussie Witch
Aussie Witch

Number of posts : 8556

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down