Pug Authority Forum
Welcome to the Pug Authority forum!

This is a fun, supportive community of pug owners who are dedicated to sharing our experiences regarding responsible pug ownership and learning from others.

You are currently viewing the forum as guest which does not give you the same access as members. Please click the Register button below to join our community! If you are already a member, please log-in!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Pug Authority Forum
Welcome to the Pug Authority forum!

This is a fun, supportive community of pug owners who are dedicated to sharing our experiences regarding responsible pug ownership and learning from others.

You are currently viewing the forum as guest which does not give you the same access as members. Please click the Register button below to join our community! If you are already a member, please log-in!
Pug Authority Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

How do I 'cold-call' on stores for donations?

+2
northernwitch
Maryjo
6 posters

Go down

How do I 'cold-call' on stores for donations? Empty How do I 'cold-call' on stores for donations?

Post  Maryjo 12/2/2010, 3:53 pm

I want to run to a few local businesses to ask them for a donation for the silent auction coming up in 2 weeks. How do I 'cold-call' on stores for donations? I am not shy, but want to make a good first impression. Even if they don't donate this time, I want to leave feeling they might in the future and don't hate me. LOL

I can have the receipt with me, and business cards, what else should I bring? A flyer of the event?

How would you start the conversation?

Maryjo
Maryjo

Number of posts : 4954

http://www.maryjoalaska.com/

Back to top Go down

How do I 'cold-call' on stores for donations? Empty Re: How do I 'cold-call' on stores for donations?

Post  northernwitch 12/2/2010, 4:15 pm

I hate cold calls. Hate them and I'm dreadful at it. BUT bring a dog with you, if you can. Always helps to have proof of where the money goes......
northernwitch
northernwitch

Number of posts : 11031

http://www.pugalug.com

Back to top Go down

How do I 'cold-call' on stores for donations? Empty Re: How do I 'cold-call' on stores for donations?

Post  Miss Pit 12/2/2010, 4:45 pm

I always let them know that their business will be mentioned on the program flyer for the event as having donated(if they do). It will help generate business to them. Some people are more prone to buy from establishments that are charity and animal friendly. I have no problems asking for donations in a letter,email or on the phone,BUT in person is a bit harder for me. I'm kinda shy.

Fingers crossed for lots of donations Maryjo!

Trish

Last edited by Miss Pit on 12/2/2010, 4:45 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : typing error)

Miss Pit

Number of posts : 986

Back to top Go down

Post  Javalita 12/2/2010, 11:43 pm

I just did all this stuff for my son's school. We started by sending a letter and then following up in person on the letters. I have a sample letter (for a school) if you want it. You can use it to modify.

Are you approaching businesses that relate to animals or any business? If it relates to pets, make the letters focused on THEM and what it does for their business too, not just what their donation does for you.

If you want the sample, let me know via PM and I'll email it to you.

JM
Javalita
Javalita

Number of posts : 964

Back to top Go down

Post  SacramentoPugs 12/3/2010, 2:36 pm

It's also great to have your taxpayer ID number handy if you're a nonprofit, and point out that donations to your group are tax-deductible. That tends to work especially well in December. Wink
SacramentoPugs
SacramentoPugs

Number of posts : 1428

Back to top Go down

Post  pugasaurus 12/3/2010, 9:39 pm

I had to find low/no cost veterinarian care and free food for our guide dogs.

I started with letters to potential vet offices, but I did letters because they were pretty far from my home and I didn't have time to drive all over and do cold calls. But, I did do cold calls to give vet clinics info about my dog training classes. I bought Beavis with me since he's a show off and I gave them a package of information to "look over" and then I followed up again a few days later and it worked pretty well.

I got two vets to donate services and a food distributor to supply free food for four growing lab puppies, and this started with a letter, a follow-up phone call, and if they were interested, a visit from me in my Southeastern Guide Dog shirt, more literature and a cute little lab puppy. I did mention that this was all a tax write off and they would be mentioned in our newsletters and such, plus we sent them pictures of the puppies as they grew and both vets and the food distributor really took ownership of the whole experience, these were their dogs too! It was a good experience for everyone.

I hate "selling" things, but if I have to sell something, it's easier if there are dogs and good works involved.
pugasaurus
pugasaurus

Number of posts : 1117

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down