Pug Authority Forum
Welcome to the Pug Authority forum!

This is a fun, supportive community of pug owners who are dedicated to sharing our experiences regarding responsible pug ownership and learning from others.

You are currently viewing the forum as guest which does not give you the same access as members. Please click the Register button below to join our community! If you are already a member, please log-in!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Pug Authority Forum
Welcome to the Pug Authority forum!

This is a fun, supportive community of pug owners who are dedicated to sharing our experiences regarding responsible pug ownership and learning from others.

You are currently viewing the forum as guest which does not give you the same access as members. Please click the Register button below to join our community! If you are already a member, please log-in!
Pug Authority Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Kimchi shivering, doesn't want treats, drinking lots of water

+28
GingerSnap
HK Pugs
northernwitch
Katie & Stella
Amber
Rebecca and the Pugs
PugLady3
Brenda
dieselsmom
MommaJones
Mel
MackandMattiesMom
smoochieface
papaspugs
akc0104
Saira
Renee
GracieNEmma
Pugsavers
Tyson&LuLu'sMom
ChaLou
LisaIzzyAggy
Aussie Witch
pugsandkids
sallyandtilly
TxAllieGrl
Lindsey
Not Afraid
32 posters

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Kimchi shivering, doesn't want treats, drinking lots of water Empty Kimchi shivering, doesn't want treats, drinking lots of water

Post  Not Afraid 1/17/2011, 10:54 pm

Kimchi as been shivering for a few hours now and hasn't been taking treats. Her pee and poop is normal. I thought she may be in some sort of pain, but she shows no sign of any bodily injury or favoring. She just went for a walk with Chris and, when she got home, drank a TON of water (returned 4 times to the water bowl).

Of course, it is now almost 7 pm and my vet is closed. Chris looked up symptoms on the internet and got Renal Failure as an answer. She hasn't gotten into anything toxic in the house and neither of us saw her pick up anything on a walk.

Any experience with these symptoms? Any thoughts as to the nature of the situation? Emergency vet tonight or my vet first thing in the AM?
Not Afraid
Not Afraid

Number of posts : 5095

Back to top Go down

Kimchi shivering, doesn't want treats, drinking lots of water Empty Re: Kimchi shivering, doesn't want treats, drinking lots of water

Post  Lindsey 1/17/2011, 11:37 pm

Any news???
Lindsey
Lindsey

Number of posts : 2033

Back to top Go down

Kimchi shivering, doesn't want treats, drinking lots of water Empty Re: Kimchi shivering, doesn't want treats, drinking lots of water

Post  TxAllieGrl 1/17/2011, 11:45 pm

idunno Lisa, it could be so many things. if she hurt her back, jumping on or off something, vs. something more internal - so hard to tell.

I don't want to be alarmist and say rush to the vet, but I'm also concerned that we don't know what it is, and I don't want you to NOT go to the vet if it's something serious. I also know I hate the ER vet...I don't really have one here that is reliable - they've gotten the diagnosis wrong before b/c they were in a hurry to treat. If it isn't something life-threatening, I'd try to wait a bit.

I can't imagine that kidney failure would hit that quickly - I'd tend to think more along the lines of hurting herself somehow. Do you have anything for pain you could give her and see if she settles down? If not, rush her to the vet first thing in the AM?

sorry - my stream of conscience. Bottom line is you know her best - how alarmed are you at her behavior? If it's enough that you want someone to look at her NOW, take her...don't hesitate.

TxAllieGrl

Number of posts : 5801

Back to top Go down

Post  sallyandtilly 1/18/2011, 12:04 am

I have no words of wisdom, I just hope she feels better soon.
sallyandtilly
sallyandtilly

Number of posts : 3150

Back to top Go down

Post  Not Afraid 1/18/2011, 12:08 am

She didn't show any interest in food tonight. (She ate this morning.) She's wrapped in a blanket and sitting with her Daddy and her shivering has stopped a little bit. But, her mouth is REALLY dry, but her gums are normal (pink, press on them and they go white, then come back to pink again).

Here's my own stream of conscious rambling.....My thoughts are that it could be pain, diabetes, an upset tummy, or a reaction to something toxic she ingested. Of those posabilities, the last one is the real emergency. I just don't know what she could have gotten into here - the closest she has come to non-normal food and treats is with a couple of peas that were in the Indian food we ate on Saturday.

I am not a fan of the local emergency vets and I don't have a lot of trust in them. My vet opens at 7 and I can be there first think in the AM. However, there's always the fear and doubt that, by waiting, I am making the wrong decision. Of course, the longer we wait, the higher the bill (they charge more after 8pm, 10pm, midnight, and 2 am).

She is pretty aware, just doesn't have the hyper energy she normally has. She actually seems like a normal dog!

I have some Tramadol that I may give her in a bit if I don't take her to the vet.
Not Afraid
Not Afraid

Back to top Go down

Post  pugsandkids 1/18/2011, 1:47 am

I'm thinking of KimChee, I hope you can get some answers soon. Wish I had something more helpful...Give your little rottie a hug for me. hug dog
pugsandkids
pugsandkids

Number of posts : 2013

Back to top Go down

Post  Aussie Witch 1/18/2011, 2:22 am

I hope everything is okay Lisa! As everything else seems to be normal, I am sure waiting until first thing tomorrow morning should be fine. Good thoughts for you both.
Aussie Witch
Aussie Witch

Number of posts : 8556

Back to top Go down

Post  Not Afraid 1/18/2011, 2:27 am

Well, we're going to wait until morning. She's resting and not shivering but she obviously is not herself. She doesn't handle pain well, so the shivering may just be that. But, we'll see how she is in the morning. It's been a while since we've had a vet emergency. My vet probably snuck over and gave her something because he misses me. Very Happy
Not Afraid
Not Afraid

Back to top Go down

Post  LisaIzzyAggy 1/18/2011, 7:20 am

I hope all goes well this morning and it turns out to be nothing serious.
LisaIzzyAggy
LisaIzzyAggy

Number of posts : 3001

Back to top Go down

Post  ChaLou 1/18/2011, 8:16 am

I hope everything goes well at the vet, sounds like it could be pain in her back, I have seen Charlie doing this before.

Keep us posted, you are in our thoughts x
ChaLou
ChaLou

Number of posts : 146

Back to top Go down

Post  Tyson&LuLu'sMom 1/18/2011, 10:09 am

I hope everything is alright with Kimchi.
Tyson&LuLu'sMom
Tyson&LuLu'sMom

Number of posts : 3776

Back to top Go down

Post  TxAllieGrl 1/18/2011, 10:12 am

Lisa - sending really good thoughts for Kimchi. And I probably would do the same thing you are, for all the reasons you stated.

TxAllieGrl

Back to top Go down

Post  Not Afraid 1/18/2011, 11:58 am

We are going in this morning at 8:30. She's still shivering a bit and is not herself. I'm thinking she may have hurt herself - but the dry mouth and drinking a lot don't correlate with that. I'm seeing my favorite vet of the three, so hopefully he can figure out what's wrong with the girl.
Not Afraid
Not Afraid

Back to top Go down

Post  Pugsavers 1/18/2011, 12:11 pm

Sending continuing good thoughts and prayers that it's something really minor.
Pugsavers
Pugsavers

Number of posts : 1541

Back to top Go down

Post  Not Afraid 1/18/2011, 1:26 pm

Well, they are going to start with xrays and then they will do blood and urine. I requested they start with the xrays to rule out stomach or back issues. If that doesn't show anything, they will do a blood panel. I told them one of my resolutions was not to have enormous vet bills this year. HA!
Not Afraid
Not Afraid

Back to top Go down

Post  GracieNEmma 1/18/2011, 1:28 pm

Just now seeing this and you're probably at the vets office as I type this. I'll keep checking back for an update. Hope everything is ok!! hug dog
GracieNEmma
GracieNEmma

Number of posts : 1065

Back to top Go down

Post  Renee 1/18/2011, 1:31 pm

Not Afraid wrote:Well, they are going to start with xrays and then they will do blood and urine. I requested they start with the xrays to rule out stomach or back issues. If that doesn't show anything, they will do a blood panel. I told them one of my resolutions was not to have enormous vet bills this year. HA!

Well, peace of mind is priceless, we all know that.

I hope whatever it is, the vet can find it, and it is nothing serious.
Renee
Renee

Number of posts : 5694

http://www.polarpug.org

Back to top Go down

Post  Not Afraid 1/18/2011, 1:39 pm

I have a question for those of you that have had back issues with your pugs....does anything normally show up in xray?
Not Afraid
Not Afraid

Back to top Go down

Post  Aussie Witch 1/18/2011, 1:46 pm

Depends on what it is Lisa. Some of my guys have had back issues and usually the vet has done myelograms or MRI straight away as they are pretty sure what they're dealing with. That's an incredibly expensive route to take at this stage, with Kimchi. An x-ray can be good to rule out a number of things but as you know if it's a soft tissue issue, you won't see a thing - unless you're looking for an obstruction. If you're thinking this may be pain related it might be something you start with pain relief, anti-inflammatories and cage rest first. Hoping it's something that responds to basic care!
Aussie Witch
Aussie Witch

Back to top Go down

Post  Renee 1/18/2011, 1:49 pm

Aussie Witch wrote:Depends on what it is Lisa. Some of my guys have had back issues and usually the vet has done myelograms or MRI straight away as they are pretty sure what they're dealing with. That's an incredibly expensive route to take at this stage, with Kimchi. An x-ray can be good to rule out a number of things but as you know if it's a soft tissue issue, you won't see a thing - unless you're looking for an obstruction. If you're thinking this may be pain related it might be something you start with pain relief, anti-inflammatories and cage rest first. Hoping it's something that responds to basic care!

I wish we had MRI facilities up here in the buttcrack of nowhere!!! Swear Not that I want to be spending money on MRI's... but, it really makes me mad when we don't have it as an option. And, in Alaska, it's not like I can drive to the next state over and use their MRI facilities.

I hate phantom illnesses. I want the xray to show everything, lol!
Renee
Renee

Back to top Go down

Post  Aussie Witch 1/18/2011, 1:50 pm

The other thing that just came to mind (with back issues) is that for all my guys that have gone through it, it's usually something that progresses very slowly and they don't show any acute signs of pain. It's just a gradual decline in mobility that indicates something is amiss. With a sudden and dramatic onset of something wrong, (according to my vet) the prognosis (for back issues) is usually much more hopeful than the gradual deterioration.
Aussie Witch
Aussie Witch

Back to top Go down

Post  Not Afraid 1/18/2011, 2:01 pm

Damn.

The vet just called and the xray showed there is something going on with her liver and/or spleen and she needs an ultrasound. They don't have the equipment there but have a mobile unit that comes around. They are going to give the mobile radiologist a call to see when she can come by. Meanwhile, I'm going to see where else I can go to get this done ASAP.

I had a client's GSD that had the liver/spleen issue. It is something that is common in larger dogs and was cancer and not treatable. Of course I'm thinking the worst. Greta (the GSD) went VERY quickly. She was quite a bit older than Kimchi. We think she is only 5 (but, again, you never know with rescues).

UPDATE: The radiologist will be there today between 4 and 6. I'm going to be there at 4. I'm hoping I can be in the room for the ultrasound.
Not Afraid
Not Afraid

Back to top Go down

Post  Saira 1/18/2011, 2:04 pm

Not Afraid wrote:Damn.

The vet just called and the xray showed there is something going on with her liver and/or spleen and she needs an ultrasound. They don't have the equipment there but have a mobile unit that comes around. They are going to give the mobile radiologist a call to see when she can come by. Meanwhile, I'm going to see where else I can go to get this done ASAP.

I had a client's GSD that had the liver/spleen issue. It is something that is common in larger dogs and was cancer and not treatable. Of course I'm thinking the worst. Greta (the GSD) went VERY quickly. She was quite a bit older than Kimchi. We think she is only 5 (but, again, you never know with rescues).

UPDATE: The radiologist will be there today between 4 and 6. I'm going to be there at 4. I'm hoping I can be in the room for the ultrasound.

Oh not the news I wanted to hear. Good thoughts for Kimchi, Lisa!
Saira
Saira

Number of posts : 8302

http://www.rescuepugs.com

Back to top Go down

Post  TxAllieGrl 1/18/2011, 2:04 pm

well shit Lisa.

here's hoping the u/s will tell us more, and it's something treatable. sending more good thoughts!

TxAllieGrl

Back to top Go down

Post  Renee 1/18/2011, 2:04 pm

Damn Lisa! I am sorry to hear this. Of course you are thinking the worst. It would be darn near impossible not to think the worst.

My thoughts and prayers are with you and Kimchi. I hope whatever they find, it is treatable. Hug
Renee
Renee

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next